“Peaceful and quiet”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sanbornton
Boston, MA
“Peaceful and quiet”
Reviewed July 15, 2009

We stayed in the East building for one week. Our unit was spacious and clean, even if the furniture was a bit dated. The view from our room was amazing. We could see right down the mountain to the lake below, and we're even treated to an amazing double rainbow one day.

Most of the week was cloudy and raining, so the indoor pool was a godsend. We mainly used the pool in the East building. It was clean and not crowded at all. We did go up to the West building to use the indoor pool with the waterslide. This was not quite as clean and more crowded, but my son had a blast both on the waterslide and in the childrens pool.

We went to the restaurant for the Sunday brunch. The food and service were very good and it was a good value.

Anytime we needed something the staff was friendly and got us what we needed right away.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Kentucky
Reviewed July 12, 2009

My wife and I chose to stay at Steele Hill Resort as the last leg of our Honeymoon in NH. What a mistake. I'm glad we only stayed 2 days. The good: indoor pools and country setting. The bad: customer service, condition of outdoor stairways, intermittent sewage smell around premises, view of dumpster outside window, unhelpful management. On the morning of June 26th, I took a spill down a flight of the outdoor stairs due to poor maintenance. The steps were in poor condition, the paint was wore off and there was no grip added for the prevention of slipping. I had my arms full with towels and other assorted items when I took a step down and my feet flew up from under me, and down at least 10 stairs I went, landing at the bottom, stunned and hurt tailbone. My camera was broken as well due to the incident. The manager was alerted to the situation and maintenance was shown the stairs by me and my wife. Maintenance agreed the stairs were slick and even said they should add sand to the paint when they paint the stairs. I added a grip tape or metal stair plate could help, especially for the prevention of falls for the elderly. The manager contacted me, but only once. I then tried contacting the manager on several occasions after checking out, including certified mail and voicemessages, only to be ignored. In addition, as my wife tried to get ice for my back, she was given the run-around and we ended up with ice around 10pm at night, with my wife doing all the follow-up. The staff was very unhelpful. Additionally, the morning of check-out, we went to use the pool before we left and were allowed to sign in by the pool desk clerk, but when we went to use it, it was locked and wasn't going to be open for another hour. Why they let us check-in to use it showed there minds were in the clouds. It was like that the whole 2 day stay. This resort only cares about your money and not about service. The ads look good, but the follow-through is poor. Go somewhere else if you value your hard earned dollar, dignity and time.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aja_deacon
new york
Reviewed June 22, 2009

This vacation was unforgetable to say the least. My husband and I requested a unit with a view and recieved a view of three propane tanks and a very large storage container! The stairs to our 1ST FLOOR unit were outragious, up two flights through a locked door, down the hall to our unit number, unlock another door only to find two more locked doors, tried key in both until it fit one, THEN, down another flight of stairs to our unit, all while carrring lugage for four day's. Second day of trip~pipes bursted in ceiling (to upstairs unit's jet tub) water poured down like a hard rainfall! Maintance came and said that we should have no more problems with water, no one extracted the water out of the carpets, I put the bathroom towel on floor to absorb water. Later that night when we arrived back to our unit, ANOTHER much harder waterfall from the ceiling! Needless to say we were not moved from our unit until the day before we were due to leave. Management gave us ONE nights stay free:( Overall the staff were very nice, the best part of the trip! Advise you to book unit in South building-best views and new units!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NewYorkBikers
New England
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We stayed at Steele Hill for one horrible night. The check-in staff were efficient and pleasant. The buildings are old and worn. Once inside the West building you could see the carpeting in the hallway had been replaced. Having read some of the reviews I thought our evening might have half a chance....then we opened the door to the room. The room smelled musty. The furnishings were decades old. The view of the lakes and mountains would have been beautiful had the sliding glass door been clean. It was so thick with white scum you could barely see out. Once the door was open (a challenge in itself) the screen was stuck...and torn in several places. The bathroom....awful! The door was covered in looked like splattered chocolate pudding. Gross!! The lighting was mismatched (hardly an issue compared to everything else). There was serious water damage on the bathroom and bedroom ceiling. Chunks of ceiling were falling into the tub during my shower. The bedroom...There were receipts from the former guest's visit to the outlets. The sheets were clean tho...that's a plus. We heard everything movement the upstairs guests made. I really enjoyed their children slamming the drawers all morning and moving the deck furniture. Wall are paper thin! The pool and spa area were adequate, nothing special and not too scummy. In a word OLD! This place was so bad that we couldn't wait to leave in the morning.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NETravelMom
bartlett nh
Reviewed May 30, 2009

we visited the resort as a free two nite 3 day timeshare trip, first of all, dont rely on a GPS to get you there, there are dozens of dirt roads and very minimal signs leading you the right way, once you get there the check in staff was nice, we were given our room keys and went to the room, after walking up 3 sets of stairs to our room wich is not easy with 3 small children we entered the room to find a small tv, and no tv in the bedroom, we opened up the pull out couch and found about a half bag of pop corn in it, then looking around the room found pages out of a coloring book all over the floor, not sure when they cleaned it last. went onto the balcony and the screen door fell off the building, went to put clothes away and closet door fell out as well. tried cooking dinner, dishes are old and sticky, also no knife in the place was under 10inches long. if you are from NH the place doesnt really have much to do other than an indoor pool it is everyhting you can do at a much cheaper place. oh and the shower head plumbing was hanging out of the wall place was bad enough we left one nite early from a free hotel. also if you are looking at the time share it is 15.9% financing with any ware from $450 and up for a deposit due that day or they add an additional $1800 onto the price and do not allow you full year access to pools, campground, and golf course and the 90 minute presentation lasted over 2 1/2 hours and involved about a mile of walking, with half being up hill against ongoing traffic. also walls are paperthin and the "game rooms" contain about 4 games and a pool table, all oldies that you would expect to find in your local pizza place

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ptremblay
New Hampshire
Reviewed March 20, 2009

We had the pleasure of staying at Steele Hill Resort for a weekend getaway (March 6 to March 9th). Not only did we enjoy the breathtaking scenery and views from our room we also enjoyed the delicious culinary treats and excellent service the restaurant had to offer for both dinner and brunch with a personal visit from the chef!

Our room was modern including a decorative taste with such amenities as a large living area with plasma TV and a private whirl pool tub in the master bath.

Overall we enjoyed our weekend in the comfort of Steele Hill Resort - the staff and service were top notch. We're already returning our return visit!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sab1304
MA
Reviewed March 14, 2009

A lot of reviews were pretty harsh on this place. We went for a girls weekend away and then my family joined me after a few days. Some relaxing, my husband worked from the room (on free wireless internet!) and snowmobiling. To start, it's off the beaten path a bit more than we thought. But within driving distance of a lot of restaurants, grocery stores and outlet shopping. We had a 2 bedroom and it was huge. Balconies off master bedroom and living room. Large sectional couch and dining. It wasn't dirty (as many had stated) nor was it updated but the space was plenty and the views OUTSTANDING. The pools were warm, clean and fun. One in our building that we had completely to ourselves every time we visited. And the larger with the water slide, kiddie area and large hot tub in another building was fantastic. The restaurant was pretty good, had great wine and nice atmosphere. The snowmobile trails left from the property. The staff was 100% accommodating when I asked to switch rooms from ground level to 3rd level because of overhead noise. No questions asked. It was really a pleasant stay and will definitely go back to this resort!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornton
Hampton Inn and Suites Tilton
#13 of 13 in Laconia
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#6 of 13 in Laconia

Been to Steele Hill Resorts? Share your experiences!