“DO NOT GET MARRIED HERE!!!!!!”

Steele Hill Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sanbornton
Litchfield, New Hampshire
“DO NOT GET MARRIED HERE!!!!!!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I can honestly say I was the most laid back bride ever...but clearly too much so. We had a great experience with the staff as a whole and our rehearsal dinner cookout was fun and well organized along with the bonfire after. The day of my wedding was a disaster and dealing with the not so helpful Larry who repeatedly told me "I've been doing this for 30 years so don't worry" was a train wreck. I cannot begin to list all the things that went wrong at the fault of Larry and the venue but I clearly should not have been so trusting..and to top off my series of unfortunate events Larry proceeds to ask for the rest of our money right before we were going in to be announced to our guests in the middle of my wedding, after being MIA for everything we needed before that. Very unprofessional. I know this sounds like a rant but I was hoping for so much for from the event coordination at Steele Hill on my most important day and it has taken me this long to be able to find the words to share my disappointment. So please, please...find somewhere else to enjoy your special day!

• Stayed July 2013
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
I feel obligated to make a correction to the review above. The date states that this happened on July 13th 2013. The manager mentioned actually retired at the end of January 2013. As a result, this particular wedding likely took place at least 2 years ago as opposed to last year.

That being said, I am sorry to hear the experience did not match expectations. Per the review it sounds like you were pleased with the staff, but unhappy with the manager in question. I can assure you that as an organization we are committed to providing an exceptional venue and service to our brides. The resort has a long history of being the premier location in the lakes region to get married.

I wish I had been more aware of these issues during the event. There have been many changes at the resort since this time. We have a new Hospitality Sales Director, Penny Miller. Penny has done an exceptional job in coordinating wedding events and business functions. This is reflected in all the positive feedback we have received.

We have also completely revamped and improved the kitchen staff and restaurant management. Our new team is the strongest we have ever had in the history of the resort. Between our head chef’s excellent skill set and management’s significantly improved coordination, I am confident that our wedding offering is one of the best in the area.

As I said, I am sorry to hear there was an issue with the event’s coordination. Even during that time period, our history and feedback demonstrates that this was the exception and not the norm. I can assure you that given our continued focus on excellence in this department a lack of coordination is not going to be an issue for any bride looking to host there special day with us.

Rob Robillard, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I've stayed at Steele Hill a number of times now, and I have never been disappointed with the quality and service at this resort. The rooms are gorgeous and comfortable, and the massive indoor pool is beyond decedent. I strongly suggest this place to any one who's looking to get away for a few days.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank FatSheamus
Naples, Maine
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I came across this resort through a friend on facebook, the pool in the west is what originally caught my eye. I thought my kids would have a great time there since it is winter time and the pools are indoors. But I was extremely nervous about many of the reviews I had read. So I booked it anyways. Then found out that we were staying in the east, more specifically the north wing of the east building which I then read reviews screaming "not to stay in the east". So let's just say I was afraid of what we were checking into. To our surprise the room was better than we thought, I must note though that the pictures I saw on the site were different from the room we had but still, we were happy. Lots of room to spread out. Big table to eat, play games, etc. A fully stocked kitchen and a full size fridge (which we filled with water and juice). We almost never heard anyone in the building, so things were very quiet. Amazing views from our windows and balcony, we overlooked lakes and mountains, it was awesome. Had a great time in both the east and west pools, the west of course was quite busy at times. Now onto the restaurant...we ate dinner there twice and had excellent meals both times, thought it was a tad bit pricey (the kids meals) but other than that excellent food and service. Also we had the breakfast buffet, which was alright and again a little pricey. So all in all, this was a fantastic trip. We did request more towels and had them delivered pretty quickly. And my husband asked for coffee for the room and had some delivered at 5:30 in the morning which I found very impressive! My one and only complaint, is the bed! The bed was so firm that we felt like we were literally sleeping on a rock, in fact we got very little sleep either night but this was in no way a deal breaker. We will be back for sure!!!

2 Thank MeaganB515
Surf City, New Jersey
Reviewed March 19, 2014

From Philly- skied a lot of places. Came up with husband and 23 yrs daughter met us here for weekend- the views and relaxing Atmosphere- she stayed an extra few days- wow-

Skied at local mountain - was a little small but no one there - snow shoeing was a great time - the views are incredible

Rooms neat clean and very comfortable layout-

Would recommend !!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Just returned from 3 night stay with a 5 yo and an 18 mo. If you have little kids the pool is great! But be sure to ask about the proximity to any of the pools because some rooms are quite far away. We stayed in the west building so the huge pool was steps from our door. However, the room badly needs an update and not only did we have to climb many stairs to get to our room, once inside the 2BR suite you had to walk down several steps to get into each bedroom (room 602). This made it a bit treacherous with our 18mo (and only one of the bedroom doors shut properly so we had to be vigilant about him not falling down the other set of steps into the second bedroom!) The staff were all wonderful! My older son really enjoyed the xbox kinect stations in the west amenities center. We enjoyed Sunday brunch in the restaurant but it was way overpriced - especially with two little ones who probably only ate about $5 worth of food! We came prepared with some supplies because we had read that the resort is far from stores - it's about 20 mins down the hill to town. Locally, we also enjoyed the McAuliffe-Sheppard discovery museum and Kellerhaus (great store, chocolate and make your own sundaes!) I would return in the summer to take advantage of the grounds, hiking, playgrounds and pools but I'm not sure I could get my husband to return unless the rooms are updated. Overall a nice trip if you are prepared for the negatives.

Room Tip: Rooms need an update but are very clean. West building puts you closest to the largest pool and game...
Raymond, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We just returned from a weeks stay! I was initially disappointed because our room in the East building was on the lower level, but it turned out to be a great room and a convenient location. Sure there are some things that could use a little spiffing up, but what hotel doesn't. The kitchen had everything you could ask for and the 2 bedroom unit was very spacious and looked to be recently updated. There was excellent internet access too.

We loved the pool in our building just as much as the one with the slides in the Amenities building. What I really appreciated was that the pool water was heated to a very comfortable temperature (at both pools) and the room was also. It was so nice to be able to get out of the water and not be cold. There is nothing worse than going to an indoor pool and the water is too cold to enjoy. Even though we had to drive to the big pool it was easy to find a place to park and they have lockers, showers and plenty of towels there.

We did have brunch in the restaurant on Sunday morning. There was everything that you could want and the omelet station was excellent. The service was very good, but the price did seem a little high.

We can't wait to go back again, the grandchildren really enjoyed themselves and I bet the grounds are even more beautiful in summer and fall. The kids got to go sledding and the only reason we didn't skate was the warm temps softened the ice too much,

Room Tip: We had Unit 120 and it was great!
1 Thank sunriseone03077
Newton, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We have stayed at Steele Hill many times and always in the oldest building, West building. Each time in a different 1 bedroom suite, but never in a suite that looks anything remotely like what is on their website or shown to us several years ago when we were their for a timeshare sales promotion. Every suite we have stayed in certainly could use upgrading. We had hoped over the years to see more of that, but, sadly this time the corner one bedroom suite felt even smaller than the ones in the past and poorly designed. Yes, the king size bed and pillows were very comfortable. Yes, the appliances were much better than the past, but, the one bathroom sink seemed weird being outside of the bathroom, practically next to the dinning table. 2 trash containers without lids were right up against the dinning table chair, of which, you would not pull out, to sit at the table. Noise from the other units can be a problem because some guests just aren't respectful of the guests around them. Yes, the views are spectacular when you can see them. Yes, the kids pool in the other building is perfect for children, but, adults beware, if you slide too fast you can go up and over the lip of the slide onto rocks! The Hilltop Restaurant is very good. Waitress, Lauren, greets you with a warm friendly smile and provides impeccable service! She gets an A+ on our score card of waitresses, thank you Lauren. For that matter all the customer service people were great. Sadly, the restaurant does not do breakfast, but, Heritage Farm not too farm from Steele Hill, does and they are worth the short ride. They are open Mon-Sat 7:30-12:30 for an awesome family farm breakfast. WE will return to Heritage Farm throughout the year. We wish Steele Hill would offer rooms that look like what they advertise on their website for one day our children and grandchildren will out grown the children's pool.

Room Tip: We asked for an up-dated room, on the walk in level, (for health reasons) this time and found oursel...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
I am glad to hear feedback from a longtime owner at Steele Hill. I believe there is some confusion about the room type that you stayed in. Per your description, you were in a 1 bedroom East Suite. The East building is the original building at the resort. Our West units are connected to the large amenities building with the big pool and were built a decade or so after the East construction. We currently only offer 2 double beds in our West 1 Bedroom Suites, although we are looking to add some rooms with Kings in the near future. This misunderstanding explains why the website pictures do not seem to line up with the room you stayed in.

It sounds like you enjoyed the pool during your stay. The amenities building is a great escape from the winter weather, especially with the season we have had recently. Thank you for pointing out our great views. We are currently working on a selective cutting project to open up the views even more for future guests.

I am glad to hear Lauren provided exceptional service during your visit to the Hilltop Restaurant. The entire restaurant staff works extremely hard to provide a positive dining experience. I will be sure to let the Food and Beverage Manager know that Lauren stood out during your recent visit with us.

We appreciate your long standing relationship with the resort and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Rob Robillard, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornton
Hampton Inn and Suites Tilton
The Landmark Inn
#13 of 13 in Laconia
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford
Econolodge Inn & Suites

Been to Steele Hill Resorts? Share your experiences!