“weekend stay”

Steele Hill Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sanbornton
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed or were assigned to 317 east and the view was fantastic and the service was great. But that is where it ended. NO none zero WIFI connection from Friday till Sunday even after they moved us to the Hill in 605-06. Noisirty kids in the halls after quiet hours I would blame the parents for this. Expensive restrauant for the amount of food you would expect. I had the chicken marsala over 6 buffalo cheese raviolis no cheese on top small plate. however the Breakfast Buffet was worth the 9.99 per person. Some of the food was cold and we were the first ones in there to be served. When you enter the office to check-in "WATCH YOUR STEP" or you will fall.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nhlighthouse

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This was our second trip this year. The fist time we noticed that our kids had rashes after using the pool (pretty bad ones actually) but figured it was just a one time thing and we loved our stay. Having a kitchen is great when you have kids.

We just got back today from trip #2. We stayed in the West building to purposely be near the large pool, which is the only reason we came up from Mass. We took the kids out of school and my husband took work off so we could enjoy a full day (Monday) at the big pool. Kids got up at 7 am and got their suits on, but had to wait until 9 for it to open, That was a loooong 2 hours so when it was finally 9 they pretty much ran through the hotel to get to the pool. Well, we came downstairs and the pool concierge told us it was closed until 4 pm. Huh? She told us it was a last minute repair to the roof but we saw the equipment when we checked in the night before so it seems unlikely that the hotel was completely unaware. Anyway, understand that things happen but there was NO notification to the hotel guests the night before or that morning, and more importantly, no offer of any kind to make up for the fact that the ONE thing this place has going for it was closed. We could use the other tiny indoor pool but if we wanted that, we could have stayed home and went to the Y and not skipped school or work to do it. Also, we had to drive to it, negating the point of staying in the room we chose. We came JUST for the big pool, which we couldn't use until 4. Our kids go to bed around 7, so that was about 2 hours we got to use it. We had to find the manager and ask for some sort of compensation. He gave us a 2 night stay another time, which is fine, but I do think they could have handled this much better. In speaking to other families, no one was proactively made aware of the situation and people were only offered compensation if they asked for it. Not good customer service at all. Further, staff people we asked for more info seemed to not know much of anything. Why they wouldn't have all the info is strange.

One other major issue-both of my kids had extremely painful rashes, headaches and nausea after using the pools at the hotel. We thought it was just our kids, but we met several families whose kids had the same problem. We were up until 1am last night with them, they were in so much pain. We are thinking that the pools are over chlorinated? We swim in pools all the time with no issues, for hours on end. The fact that this happened both times we stayed at this hotel and has never happened elsewhere makes us think it has to do with these pools. Maintenance should definitely consider reducing the chlorine or looking into alternatives. I want to reiterate that this was no minor reaction-major hives, rashes, and illness clearly from the pool.

But, I gave 2 stars because 1) Rooms are great, a little dated and beds aren't too comfy but perfect for families (maybe TVs in the bedrooms, though?). and 2) Dinner from the restaurant was really, really good. The pool , when open and not toxic, is super fun and my kids loved it while they were in it.

But,mgiven the chlorine issues, we may not end up even using our comped 2 night stay. It just wasn't worth being up with them all night in crying in pain. The other families we encountered felt the same.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JhanaW
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

I did have the opportunity to follow up with this guest directly while they were onsite with us and after I had a chance to read their review. I can understand the frustration with not being able to use the pool in the morning. This can be especially difficult with small children eager to enjoy themselves in the big pool area. Per our conversation I believe this was the primary reason for the harshness of the review.

Unfortunately due to the circumstances, we had very little warning about the glass repair in the amenity roof. We recently completed a major project to replace the roof on the amenity building. This is the reason why the roof lift equipment was still onsite. As part of the roof replacement we also changed out several of the large panels in the glass atrium. Due to weather issues, the glass company was unable to completely replace the flashing during their previously scheduled visit. As a result, they made an unscheduled visit which forced us to shut the pool down due to safety concerns while they were working. This prevented us from getting adequate notice out to the guests prior to the installation. That being said, we will take this as a lesson to continue to anticipate any situations like this and do our best to communicate with guests in a proactive manner.

In terms of the pool chlorine, no other parties raised this issue during these dates. We are very diligent about our testing regimes. Each pool is subjected to 4 individual tests per day by a maintenance supervisor. We are also subjected to an annual state inspection. While I am not trying to minimize the experience, I do want to clarify that we take pool cleanliness and maintenance very seriously.

I am glad that your family did enjoy the room and also had a good meal in the Hilltop Restaurant during your visit. I will be sure to pass the positive feedback on to our Food and Beverage Manager. Thank you for choosing Steele Hill Resorts. I do hope we see you up on the Hill again in the future.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

My first stay at Steele Hill Resort should have been a clue as to what I would experience on future visits. We stayed in Room 205, which was right beside the stairwell that was the main pathway to the second floor. Little did we know that Saturday night would be a wedding reception and we didn't even have to be there to hear it. People were constantly going up and down the stairs, slamming doors, and talking loudly. Our first night upon check in the burners on the stove were all positioned at a 45 degree angle, and you couldn't put them down. I called the front desk to be informed that maintenance had gone home for the evening so someone would be there in the am. Gee thanks for not having a stove to use. My boyfriend almost fell in the tub due to the extra long shower curtain that you stepped on while showering. The only way you could close the bathroom door, which I'm sure was originally a closet, was to step between the tun and toilet. The wind blew that night and the windows just whistled the entire time. Flood lights were positioned so they shined right at the windows and even closing the curtains didn't help. There was dust on all the chair rails, and the mattress on the hide a bed was about 2 inches thick with holes in it. I can see why it was hiding now. The fridge was loud so that we had to close the bedroom door when we went to bed to try and keep the sound down in the bedroom. Sunday am, at 5:30am, maintenance decided they would mop the front lobby with some really strong cleaner that literally permeated our room so that it made me sick. You mean they couldn't wait til later in the morning, 5:30am was a tad much. I wrote a 2 page comment review of our stay and to this date, I have NEVER heard anything from management about pur stay. I took pictures of the room we stayed in and the conditions we were subjected to because I knew no one would believe me if I told them.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Melody T

I am concerned that there are extraneous reasons for the harshness of this review. As with all guest concerns we do our best to track down the details of the stay to help improve our service in the future. This particular stay was difficult to trace as it happened approximately one year prior to the posting date. Our reservations team was able to identify the individual who posted the review during the research process. While I am not at liberty to disclose the findings, I would caution a potential guest to take this feedback with a grain of salt.

In terms of the room, I can say that the Lodge Rooms in the Main Inn are some of my personal favorite rooms at the resort. These rooms maintain the original rustic character of the authentic inn, but have been renovated up to comfortable standards with king sized beds, flat screen TVs and full kitchens. They are a fantastic choice for any guest looking for an authentic taste of New Hampshire. Also I can assure guests that the bathrooms are not converted broom closets.

In general, we view each piece of guest feedback, both positive and negative, as an opportunity for improvement for management and the staff. In this case, due to the underlying circumstances, I will unfortunately have to leave it as one word against the other. For anyone trying to decide if these rooms might be a good choice for their getaway or vacation, I would recommend checking out the photos and videos posted on our website.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our one year wedding anniversary. We called 3 months in advance and asked for a special suite for our first anniversary and were told that they were all booked already (?!?) but we would be on a waiting list if any opened up. We were also told that if we did end up getting just a standard room, the staff would make sure our stay was special. We arrived at around 6:00 at night in the dark and was given a very small difficult to read map to try and find our room. Once we got to our room, it was out-dated. The windows had so much condensation between the glass that we could hardly see out them, which didn't matter because our view was of a dumpster. Glad we stayed in the lakes region to stare at a dumpster. It was also over 80 degrees in our room even though the thermostat said the heat was off. We had to sleep with the noisy air conditioner on when it was 40 degrees outside! The next morning, we took the time to put all of our wet towels in the middle of the bathroom floor and pile up all the bedding in the middle of the bed for the maid service to clean up and re-make the bed before we went out for the day. We got back to our hotel room at 5:30pm with dinner reservations at 6:00pm, so we were in a rush. Whe we walked into our room, IT WAS EXACTLY HOW WE HAD LEFT IT! NO ONE CAME TO CLEAN OUR ROOM! We tried to call the front desk to see why this could have happened but no one answered the phone. We hurried to our dinner reservations and went straight to the front desk ourselves when we returned, which we had to drive to because it is so far away from our room. When we got there, the desk attendant seemed concerned that no one came to clean our room and was said he would make a note in our file for when we checked out. We asked for clean towels since we were given none that day, and he sais someone would bring them up right away. An hour later, at 10:00 at night, after having to make our own bed on the night on our anniversary, no one had arrived with towels yet and we were waiting up for them. We called the front desk to find out when the towels were coming and the attendant said he got caught up in other things and he would call someone right away. Twenty minutes later, a maintenance man in a dirty work jacket showed up at our room with our clean white towels pressed against his jacket. After dropping them off, this maintenance man noticed that th elock on our door was broken, which we hadn't even noticed when we arrived. He at first questioned if we broke it! He then said he was going to get his tools and fix it, AT 10:00 AT NIGHT! We thanked him but sent him away. The next morning, when we checked out, the female desk attendant asked how we enjoyed our stay. We explained all of the mis-haps and her first response was, "Why didn't you call the front desk?" We explained that we tried to call but there was no answer and that we ended up having to make our own bed and get our own towels. Her response was, "Well the maid service doesn't make you bed anyway, so other than that, how was you stay?" WHAT?!? HAVE YOU EVER STAYED AT A HOTEL THAT DOESN'T MAKE YOUR BED!?! We never EVER got an apology nevermind offered a discount or a coupon or anything! THIS HOTEL RUINED OUR FIRST ANNIVERSARY!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ktwin_22
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

I am sorry to hear about this negative experience at Steele Hill. Unfortunately I was off property during the dates, but I have subsequently reviewed the details with my managers. Our front desk manager was able to follow up with this guest and comp their stay. They have also been offered a return visit in our newest suites.

Speaking to the lack of availability expressed by our reservation staff, Steele Hill has experienced extremely high demand over the course of the recent year and we have cases where days will book solid, particularly weekends, well in advance. I am glad the staff followed up accordingly with the waiting list.

In terms of the view, we did have a construction dumpster set near the amenities building during the dates of this stay. We just completed a major renovation that includes a completely new roof and major sections of glass replacement in the west pool atrium. This specific room was able to see the area of the dumpster to the peripheral, but it did not obstruct any lines of sight to the view. Despite this clarification, I do understand the concern. This was scheduled to be removed prior to the stay, but unfortunately due to weather, the schedule was pushed back several days. I will take this as a lesson and ensure that our management team is fully prepared to communicate any future scheduling conflicts and offer room moves, reschedule dates or offer refunds prior to a visit if at all possible.

My biggest point of concern was the lack of maid service. I can absolutely assure you that our maid service does include fully making the bed. I will personally sit down with the desk staff that were scheduled during this visit to correct this communication error and determine why it happened in the first place. There is no excuse to miscommunicate with a guest in this manner. Today I reviewed the specifics with our Housekeeping Manager. He explained that a housekeeper went to the room for a maid service around 1PM the day in question and was told it would not be required by the guest. It is my opinion that this communication was actually with the guest staying in the other half of the lock out unit. We sincerely apologize for this mistake. I will sit down with the management team to review this specific scenario and come up with a solution to prevent it from happening again in the future.

Overall, I am sorry to hear we failed to deliver. I can assure you that we will thoroughly review each issue that was raised and seek to improve our services going forward. I do sincerely hope that you take us up on the offer for a return visit in our south suite. The entire team would love the opportunity to change your perception of the resort. If you would like to discuss further details feel free to contact me at robertrobillard@steelehillresorts.com or by phone at 603.524.2216.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We bought a groupon deal and stayed in a west 1 bedroom suite. The entrance was a little confusing, we had to go up stairs to enter the building and then we had to go down stairs to our suite. The suite, especially the kitchen, was very suite. The furniture and bathroom was definitely dated. No complaints about the room other than the bed was very uncomfortable and the bedding could have definitely been updated. We also had a loud family above us and could hear their footsteps late into the night. One huge plus is that every suite has a large balcony with a beautiful view. The kitchen was very neat and had all the basic necessities you would need.

As for the resort, it was large and had a great indoor pool facility. We definitely enjoyed it. We also had dinner at the restaurant. It was an okay atmosphere. My french onion soup was a bit salty but the butternut squash and the lobster mac and cheese were great. Everyone we dealth with at the resort was nice. This place is a great place for a family with the outdoor pools and hiking available. There are major site seeing places to visit about an hour away. Very pretty area in the fall.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The good...
-The resort made everything right and issued a refund to us for what was a terrible stay. Therefore, I have a hard time going into detail about the experience. I will say this. Had they issued a refund and given us an additional stay, I would have declined the additional stay. The refund was great though.
-Staff is great (front desk/security/maintenance). However, they didn't seem trained on how to handle extreme situations.
-Manager is excellent.
-Having a full kitchen is awesome. Nice to be able to save some money on breakfast and dinner by cooking your own.

The bad...
-Badly dated
-Location is a nightmare. Don't use GPS. You'll be lost for hours.
-If staying here, make sure you reserve the 2 bedrooms. If you only reserve the one bedroom with the kitchen, you're literally downstairs with no way out. I actually was surprised that it passed inspection. I would have thought it would be against code.
-SPIDERS! I'm half kidding. I mean....you're in the mountains in New Hampshire. However, someone needs to take a power washer to this resort. Outside of all of the windows on the top floor were webs upon webs of GIANT spiders. I got a kick out of watching my 3 year old daughter freak out looking at them. I think they were wolf spiders. Like I said. Half kidding, but if you are afraid of spiders, you'll freak out.

Room Tip: Reserve both the upstairs and downstairs for both privacy and peace of mind.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. While we did refund your stay costs, our goal is to provide a positive hospitality experience and ensure our guests are satisfied. I appreciate your positive comments on the in-room kitchens. These are great features that many vacationers take full advantage of.

In terms of the negative points, I am sorry to hear you had an issue with your GPS device. We do include a disclaimer on our website and confirmation emails that direct guests to use the directions we provide. As of a year ago, Steele Hill has a brand new paved road that stretches all the way down to the main road through the Lakes Region. It is the newest, best maintained road in town and we do provide signage all along the road from route 3. Unfortunately, the town of Sanbornton does have a class 6, unmaintained road that some GPS devices will erroneously send drivers down. We have petitioned the mapping companies to remove this route from the coordinates several times. The general response is that as long as the state retains the class 6 designation, they will not remove it from their service. We will continue to address proper directions in our communication and petition the mapping companies to update their services.

I have to disagree with the comment that the property is overly dated. Steele Hill Resorts has the most aggressive renovation budgets in the entire Lakes Region. This year alone we plan on fully renovating over 50% of the rooms at Steele Hill West. This would include engineered hardwood floors, granite counter-tops throughout and all new furniture.

Thank you for originally choosing Steele Hill Resorts. I do hope you will give us another chance in the future to sample our continued improvements.

Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

This is our second time coming to Steele Hill during leaf peeping season. When booking this trip I informed staff of our last experience with a dirty hot tub and paper thin walls. It was suggested we try a remote room in west # 611. Sounded good so we booked it. The first time walking through the door we considered asking to change rooms as this one is a virtual fish bowl with numerous vertical blinds. We decided to stay but once it got dark I wished we had went with our first instinct. The two ground based flood lights shown through the vertical blinds all night. The next day this issue was addressed with staff while we went to dine at the resort. That was another experience. The manner in which my wife's meal was to be prepared was misrepresented and my steak tips came to the table still mooing. The manager did comp my wife's meal and providdd free desert. That was very nice. That night the outdoor lights were angled more towards the ground until a family of four checked into the room next to us. When I traveled down the hill earlier that day to get a sleep mask I should have also picked up ear plugs. While attempting to sleep kids werd running up and down stairs and later parents were arguing. Wish we had planned ahead and gone to a bed and breakfast like we usually do cause we don't have those issues in a B&B. Oh and to let maintenance staff know the shower head leaks as well.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

I am sorry to hear that there were some issues with your stay. Many guests do like room 611 particularly for its proximity to the main indoor pool area. However, it sounds like this unit was not an ideal fit for you. I will be sure to have the maintenance staff review all outdoor lighting around this room to see if we can detect and improve any issues.

It sounds like the Food and Beverage Manager was able rectify the issue with your meal and offer a free dessert for your troubles. I will be sure to review this with the manager. Overall I am glad they responded accordingly.

In general I am disappointed that your stay did not meet the standards we set. Our team truly cares about the guest experience and I know Steele Hill is a great property to visit and enjoy in the Lakes Region. I do hope you will give us another chance in the future to deliver a positive hospitality experience.

Rob Robillard, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornton
7 mi away
Church Landing at Mill Falls
Centennial Hotel
Centennial Hotel
#3 of 8 in Concord

Been to Steele Hill Resorts? Share your experiences!