Steele Hill Resorts
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Lord Hampshire(Winnisquam)
  • Free Internet
View Hotel
Lazy E Motor Inn(Weirs Beach)
The Margate Resort(Laconia)
View Hotel
All reviewssouth buildingindoor poolbig poolhiking trailsfull kitchenmaster bedroomping pongolder buildinghot tubvideo gameshilltop restaurantgreat place for familiesgreat resortrecommend this resortlakes regionhole golf courseviews of the mountains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Thlis was our second trip to Steele Hill having visited two years prior. Thlis time we choose a two bedroom unit in the West complex adjacent to the newer Indoor Pool. THe unit was a bit tired with one bedroom on the first floor and then another upstairs along with a second bath, living room and small kitchen. The tile floor was cracked in numerous spots in the upstairs bath and the drapes falling off in the living room. The unit looked tired and was painted a burnt yellow and needs to be freshened up. The unit itself was clean and well appointed. No instructions though could be found on how to use the numerous remotes for the TV and DVD player. The best part of the resort is the Indoor pool complex at the top of the resort which kept the kids busy during three days of rain. Not much else onsite to do as the game room is limited, ping pong equipment missing and no supervised activities. They do offer a XBox area, but no one was available to show us how to use. A store is also advertised which consisted of a few food items on a single shelf in the registration area. I think twice to this resort is enough.

Room Tip: Request either the West or the new South building.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

I am sorry to hear your second visit did not meet your expectations. We value return business and want to provide a great hospitality experience every time a guest chooses to stay with us. I can assure you that if we were aware of any specific maintenance issues with this room our team would have responded to get things in order.

Our West Townhouse units are some of our most popular rooms given their spaciousness and proximity to the amenities center. We work hard to keep these rooms in great shape. We also have major renovation plans for this section of the resort. I can assure you that once these plans come to fruition the state of these units will exceed your expectations.

We do offer instructions on in-room equipment use via our resort television channels. I will make sure this is reiterated at check-in. I will also follow up to review the equipment stock at the amenities center to make sure everything is in working order for activities like ping pong.

Thanks again for your feedback. I do hope you would reconsider staying with us again in the future. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed in a two bedroom townhouse. It included a full kitchen and two bathrooms but no tubs, only shower stalls. The lack of tubs is why I docked a star. We were in the west end nearest the pool. We did have to go outside for the pool. The gym was quite nice for a hotel. It even had free weights. It is a nice family stay.

1  Thank cavedwellerwi

I am glad to hear your group enjoyed their stay up at Steele Hill. Our West Townhouse units are a great spot for families looking for plenty of space with easy access to the amenities center. It sounds like the pool was a big hit and you also got to spend some time in our new fitness center. The fitness center is a recent addition to the resort and it has been received rave reviews from guests.

Thanks again for choosing Steele Hill. We realize how precious family vacations can be these days and we appreciate your business. I hope to see you up on the Hill again in the future.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Many months ago, we booked a one bedroom suite for an overnight over July 4th weekend. We chose Steele Hill because they participate in the RCI trade for Disney Vacation Club members. I am 8 months pregnant, and we have a two year old, so we had asked for a room close to the large indoor pool. When we arrived, we were given a room in the East building. The rooms in the East building look nothing like the beautiful, spacious rooms on the website. Instead, we walked through well-worn hallways to a foul-smelling room that looked as if it had not been updated in 25 years. The room was down a large hill from the main amenities, not easily walkable for our family at this moment. We went back to the reservation building to ask for a room that looked like the pictures on the website, but nothing was available. We chose a refund and drove back home. I was frustrated that the quality of the accommodations was so disparate from the advertising.

Room Tip: Stay away from the East building.
Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank NHTraveler81
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

I am sorry to hear that there was confusion with your booking. At Steele Hill Resorts we offer a variety of room types and I stand behind the quality of all of them. However, I can understand how a guest could be disappointed if they believed they were staying in one unit and checked into another.

Based on your feedback I took the opportunity to follow up with our Front Desk manager who refunded your money. Given the nature of your feedback, the desk manager actually stayed over in your assigned room that night to assess the issues you had brought up. After a review of her stay we do not agree with your description of both the hallway and the suite itself. These units have been through a recent renovation cycle in the last 3 years. While not on the same caliber as our new south building inventory, many guests are quite satisfied with these suites.

In terms of the pictures on the website, I can say that we do a very good job of being completely transparent with the different unit types that we offer. Anyone is welcome to visit the accommodations page on our site and view both the picture slideshows and the videos we have produced for each room type. I personally oversaw the creation of this accommodations page to ensure guest had an opportunity to fully understand the different inventory that we offer up at Steele Hill. We also reviewed the phone recording to see if the reservationist mentioned that you were in the East building and not the South Building. The conversation confirmed this. While the east building is directly connected to a nice indoor pool area, it is not connected to the large amenities center pool that we are known for. If this was miscommunicated, I apologize. The South Building is also not directly connected to a pool area. I will be sure to follow up with the reservationist to ensure they are clear when describing the different amenity locations.

I am glad my Front Desk staff was able to assess your dissatisfaction and issue a full refund for the stay. I can assure you that we will take all the lessons learned in reviewing this stay and use them to continue to improve our customer service going forward.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Let me start by saying we were offered a "free weekend" since a friend of our recently purchased a timeshare. We went up understanding we would need to sit thorough a song and dance. With that in mind I was expecting to be blown away with accommodations since they were courting a potential owner.

We stayed in the building attached to the restaurant. Upon entering the building there was a musty smell. Our room was very close to where we parked so that was a perk given we had to unload the car. The first thing I did was check out the place to see what we had to work with. The room had some nice amenities (fridge, stove etc...) and the bathroom was clean. When I opened the curtain to see the view it was stellar, hands down the best part of the room was the view. Simply stunning. Once the curtain was open, I noticed a nice glob of chocolate something stuck to the curtain. I then went into the master to open the curtain and discovered there was no window and more importantly no a/c. Seriously? When our kiddo would be sleeping in the main room with the a/c we would want our door closed a bit for privacy... that means we get no a/c. Not ok.

We went to the pool that has the water slide. This was also one of the highlights of the resort. My daughter loved it and we really enjoyed it as well. There is a problem with rust dripping down from the walls and at one point onto the chair we were sitting near. But overall we really enjoyed it.

So we settled down in our room for the night, the bed in our room was very uncomfortable, not to mention we didn't have air conditioning. My husband and I were both tossing and turning so much we decided right then and there we would only stay one night, even if the 2nd night was free, we were too uncomfortable to stay.

The song and dance was just that. It took almost 2 hours (we were told 90 minutes). On top of that when you check in for the session, you are greeted by clerks that ask you (while in line with other people) what your salary is. In my opinion that is a very personal question to be asking customers in front of a bunch of strangers. Maybe ask guests to write it down?

We spent the rest of the day in the pool, and had a fantastic dinner in their restaurant. The food was great, although the service was a bit slow.

We ended up leaving after dinner, we were grateful for the opportunity to check it out. Management and sales should really look at how potential owners see the facility upon check in. No air conditioning? Musty smells? Uncomfortable beds? Those things (no matter how pretty the new construction is) sets a bad tone.

Room Tip: Lots of stairs at this resort - some of the rooms even have stairs in them. Just a heads up.
1  Thank NHmama23
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

It sounds like your introductory stay was a mixed experience. I am glad you enjoyed the views looking down on the lakes and it sounds like your visit to the restaurant was very positive. I am also happy to hear that your daughter loved the pool area.

The west indoor pool is a great amenity that children absolutely love. Speaking to your concerns about the water dripping, we have had some issues with the seal between the roof and the glass atrium. This problem will be resolved as we plan on putting a new roof on the facility in September.

I am sorry to hear that you did not find the room arrangements satisfactory. Many guests love these unit types because they offer a full kitchen and great deck views for an affordable price. I will be sure to take your feedback into consideration and discuss some of the issues you mentioned with our housekeeping manager.

Thank you for visiting with us. I understand we did not deliver the experience you were looking. I can assure you that I will review your feedback with the other managers in order to improve the overall experience for future guests.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here during the last week of June 2013. After driving right to the resort (don’t follow GPS, use the resorts’ directions), we found everything as advertised. Here is a list of the Pro’s and Con’s that we encountered during our stay.

Pro’s – Room was very nice (Stayed in the “South” building) and clean with a good view. Resort facilities were on the newer side (did not try the racketball court) and in good shape (golf course, tennis courts, pools, game room, ping pong, etc). Activity director (Nancy) lead a hike through the woods and was very pleasant to talk with and very informative. Restaurant had good views and food was good (chicken parm and spaghetti).

Con’s – Steps leading to the room were constantly wet, which is a bit of a slipping hazard. Hiking trail had a section of un-mowed grass, which was filled with ticks (several on the kids and us) and should have been maintained better. During the week we were there, the resort was re-paving the parking area, which made it very inconvenient for all (no compensation offered), and a golf hole was under renovation, which made for an 8-hole course.

Overall, we had good time at the resort and would recommend staying there to our friends.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad the resort experience met your expectations. Our south building offers great rooms with fantastic views. I am happy to hear you found the room both clean and comfortable on arrival. I will also let the food and beverage manager know that you had a positive experience while dining at the Hilltop Restaurant.

In terms of the wet stairs and construction, June was uncharacteristically rainy in New Hampshire. I agree that the stairwells need some attention to prevent this from happening during rainy periods. We are currently discussing a project to completely enclose this space during the next budget cycle. The rainy weather also caused a schedule overrun on our recent project to construct a dedicated wedding tent space and parking lot extension for the south building. Fortunately, this project is complete finish now and we have a great new facility, but it should have been finished during the period you stayed with us. I appreciate your patience in relation to this construction.

I am glad you enjoyed the activities. Our full time activates director does a great job organizing events to introduce guest to the abundance of nature around the resort. I will be sure to have the grounds team take a look at the potential of clearing some of the grass areas around the trail system.

Thanks again for choosing Steele Hill. We appreciate your business and hope you return to visit with us again on the Hill in the future.