“Overall, excellent”

Steele Hill Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sanbornton
“Overall, excellent”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

First off the suite that my boyfriend and I had was wonderful. I loved how it reminded me of an apartment we has our own little kitchen, the view was beautiful. Unfortunately, one of the restaurant within the resort rubbed me the wrong way, customer service was horrible and the food was salty. The manager of the bar was very friendly and made conversation. Definitely will return to the resort, just stay away from that restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
I am happy to hear you had an excellent experience with us. For guests looking for that home away from home during their trip to the Lakes Region, our condo-style rooms are a perfect fit. I am glad you enjoyed the unit.

In terms of the restaurant, it sounds like you had a positive experience at the bar, but had an issue in the Hilltop Restaurant itself. I will review this feedback with the Food and Beverage staff and let them know the customer service was good at the bar, but there was room for improvement in the dining room. We emphasize customer service with our entire team at Steele Hill. I understand that a breakdown in any customer service experience can leave a bad impression. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the food. I know our Food and Beverage manager would have made things right if he was aware of the situation. We have built a great staff at the Hilltop Restaurant. Our kitchen staff in particular has received some of the best reviews we have had in years.

I will be sure to bring your feedback to our regular Food and Beverage meeting and make sure the team uses it as a tool to improve the service for future guests.

Thank you for choosing Steele Hill Resorts. We truly appreciate your business and hope you would consider staying with us again in the future.

Rob Robillard, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
seabrook nh
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The restaurant was great.Fantastic food and great views .Loved the big pool ,my husband enjoyed the large hot tub.Grounds are great,outdoor options of volley ball ,playground, barbecue areas.There are two outdoor pool too. Very nice activities were planned,a hike ,craft ,a game.We did not participate because of timing but hope to next time. Front office very helpful.

Room Tip: our room had a balcony,with a lovely view of mountains and lake
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
It sounds like you enjoyed your time with us at Steele Hill. I will let the Food and Beverage manager know that you had a positive restaurant experience at the Hilltop. I am glad both you and your husband were able to find amenities that contributed to your individual vacation experience during your stay. The barbecue areas have always been a big hit for us. Guests enjoy kicking back by the grills with their friends and family while taking in the big views. I will let the Front Desk manager know that you found her department helpful and professional during your visit. As I always say, check-in is our first opportunity to make a good first impression.

Thanks again for choosing Steele Hill. I know vacation time can be hard to come by and we appreciate your business. I look forward to your return visit with us in the future.

Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We went on a retreat and the rooms were very clean. The suites near the building next to the spa was quiet. Several families were there and it worked out well. They have barbeque areas. The rooms are self-contained suites (have full-applianced kitchen, refrigerator, dining area, livingroom, master bedroom and room for children or with two beds) and you can bring your own groceries. The rooms were very clean and we had more than enough towels. The rooms are spacious and we had a distant view of Lake Winnisquam and the surrounding mountains.The food is delicious, fresh and a breathtaking view from the restaurant terrace. They have indoor and out door pools, sauna, jacuzzi and the pool has a baby pool, jacuzzi and lovely indoor pool with 'glass' walls and you can enjoy the beautiful mountain view from the pool). They have different trails (Red, blue and yellow) and are each different miles depending on your preference. see the front desk for a map. There is ample parking, golf course, racket ball and much more. The staff were very kind and professional. We will definitely return by summer of this year.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the positive feedback on our facility. It sounds like we delivered a solid hospitality experience for your stay. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the in-room amenities. While it is nice to have a great restaurant onsite, our guests also have the option to relax in their suites and focus on spending time with their family and friends. I will be sure to let the food and beverage manager know that you enjoyed the food and the deck.

I am glad you were able to visit both our indoor amenities in the large pool area and explore our hiking trail network during the same stay. The trails are a great way to enjoy nature knowing that the big pool and roman spa are waiting for you when you get back.

Thanks for staying with us at Steele Hill Resorts. We truly appreciate your business and I hope to see you up on the Hill again in the future.

Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed May 1, 2013

First off, we absolutely loved our stay here! We had a top level suite that could fit 6 with a stunning view, fireplace, and kitchenette. The pool was just what we needed for a relaxing getaway -- the temperature and sun was perfect, and so was the view. We even went hiking for a few hours (we recommend staying away from the red trail).

The only thing that really kept us from giving it a five star rating was their restaurant. Uff. I have waited many tables and tend to be extremely sympathetic to servers, but it was just so, so bad. We waited about 7 minutes to even be greeted (there was ONE other TWO top that was nearly finished with their meal besides myself and my boyfriend) and when we finally were greeted she started with, uhm, so here are the specials. Usually we will have two drinks with dinner so I ordered a 1/2 carafe of wine to his one beer figuring he would get another with his meal. After ordering drinks it took us over 20 minutes to get them, forcing us to both essentially chug the last glass of wine that was remaining after dinner. The food was okay, his scallops were fried which we didn't think was appropriate for a restaurant boasting their high quality foods.

Will definitely come back for the relaxing get away, we just will stay far, far away from the restaurant!

Room Tip: Get a room in the West section connected with the pool!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kara M
First off, I am glad you enjoyed your accommodation, the resort amenities and the views. Steele Hill offers a variety of spacious suites from charming rooms in the original inn building to modernized, spacious units with granite counter tops and spectacular views. Given a stretch of good weather, there are few places I would rather be than enjoying a nice breeze and the panoramic scenery from one of the balconies.

I am sorry to hear you had customer service issues with your restaurant experience. The Food and Beverage department has made significant strides in delivering great food and quality customer service this year. I can assure you that your experience was the exception not the norm. I will be sure to personally review your feedback with both the food and beverage manager and the head chef to work on resolving any issues for future patrons.

Thank you for choosing Steele Hill Resorts. I understand how rare vacation time can be these days and we are honored that you decided to spend that time at our resort. I hope to see you up on the Hill again in the future.

NH
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Visited this Lakes Region resort for an event on two successive days - the first pleasant surprise was the absolutely wonderful hilltop view the property affords. Breathtaking, and totally unexpected from the drive up along the tourist Route 3....The property itself seemed a little tired: sent a txt home that I felt like I was in the Catskills. In 1962. Or maybe 1980.
Friendly staff, but always seemed to be bustling somewhere on some errand; but responded quickly when hailed. Looked in on accommodations, again, not up to date but home-y.
The food was plentiful in portion, but don't look for fine dining -- portions large, and again, more like home cooking . . . which is not a bad thing. If you're visiting the lakes, this is fairly reliable family-style resort with the added benefit of that stunning view.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ClergyChick
It is nice to have a review from a business traveler. It sounds like you were generally satisfied with your stay but that we did not exceed your expectations. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the view and had some positive feedback on your accommodations and the restaurant experience. Looking down on the lakes is a great way to appreciate the area and relax after a long day of play or work. The vantage point is unmatched in the area.

While you mention the property looked a bit dated, I feel that much of this first impression is due to the cedar shake façade that we maintain on the original buildings for historic purposes. At Steele Hill we have committed to improving the property year after year. The renovations section of our website’s blog does a great job highlighting some of the major improvement we have made over the last few years.

We truly appreciate you staying with us at Steele Hill. As I mentioned we are always working to improve the guest experience and do hope you choose to visit with us again if you are ever in the Lakes Region.

Delmar, ny
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were very disappointed with our stay. The 2 bedroom townhouse was very dated, and had a very bad smell in the whole upstairs. In addition, the heat would not regulate so it was very hot and we had to keep the doors and windows open. The window in the king bedroom was broken, and the bathroom had no hook to hang things on. There is also mold growing on the air conditioner. Thank goodness the pool area was fun for the kids.

In addition, I called on both Monday morning and Monday even looking to see if we could get a tour of the other buildings. We have a vacation reserved for July, and were looking to see options in the other buildings. In addition, I am planning a vacation for 28 of my family members for next summer, and wanted to see the rooms for that reason, as well. We never received a call back.

This was a very disappointing expereince. I sent a follow up email two times since our stay, and still no response at all!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I reviewed your stay description with our desk manager and was able to personally inspect your suite and get the facts on the communication issue you mentioned. After inspecting the unit, I do feel your characterization of the unit’s condition is overly harsh and not representative of these accommodation types. I understand that the communication breakdown you experienced likely set the wrong tone for your stay and contributed to your perspective.

After reviewing the details during my managers meeting it appears your initial conversation concerning a tour was with our guest services department, not our front desk which is located in a separate section of the resort. Our desk manager indicated that her employees did transfer your call to this department several times, but it appears guest services did not follow up accordingly. I have spoken with all parties involved and will work to ensure a similar communication breakdown does not occur in the future.

Going forward, we will use the lessons we learned during this review process to continue to improve the guest experience.

Barre, Vermont
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have just returned from a one week stay at Steele Hill. The overall experience was a good one. Check-in took less than five minutes and the staff was very friendly. I had read several reviews before I arrived so I was not surprised to find the the decor and furnishings were not "up-to-date". I must say that, personally, I think this is a good thing. We New England folks are frugal!

Everything was clean and in good repair, so no complaints about the room itself.

There were some situations that are beyond the control of management. There really are noise issues, most likely related to the actual construction of the buildings. Guests can hear and feel the outside doors being closed, each and every footstep in the rooms above and entire conversations plus snoring! I was promptly moved to a top floor room after I realized that there was no hope of peace from the THREE toddlers running across my "ceiling" for hours. This is after all a family resort so if kid noise will drive you bonkers, stay elsewhere.

Also be aware that the resort is NOT handicapped accessible, again having to do with the age and style of the buildings.

Service was a high point! When I let the front desk know that the ice machine was out of order, a staff member promptly appeared at my door with ice delivered from another building! When I locked myself out of my room (yep), it took less than two minutes for an extra key to arrive.

Pools were all warm and clean, locker rooms were very nice. I loved the TVs in front of EACH piece of exercise equipment in the workout room.

The Saturday breakfast was very good, with a wide variety of fresh fruit.

The biggest downside for me was that this resort is not in an area that offers anything along the line of art studios, museums, concerts or live theater. There truly is nothing to do here but relax with a good book and take long walks.

Oh, I almost forgot, there WAS a service offered to match interests. I did not use it, but guests could request to be matched with other guests for a card game or tennis, etc. Nice idea.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
I am glad to hear our staff delivered a positive service experience during your stay. We have a team of dedicated, hard-working people that always put the guest first. We are investigating several solutions for the noise issues, particularly in the older buildings. These efforts include experimenting with sound proofing drywall and improved door sweeps. Our reservations department is also emphasizing guest placement to minimize disturbances from any sound transfer.

I am happy you noticed the new fitness center. This project has been a major addition to the Steele Hill experience and we are proud to offer such a nice facility. Between the new fitness center and the pools, guest can get a full workout experience. I will let the Head Chef know that you enjoyed breakfast during your visit.

In terms of the area, we do have a few hidden gems that will help provide some of the experiences you are looking for. Within a relatively short drive guests can access the Winnipesaukee Playhouse for live theater, the Flying Monkey Performance Center for great live music and a studio for the League of New Hampshire craftsmen which displays great handmade craft items from local New Hampshire artists. I will be sure to review these options with our Front Desk Manager for any future questions regarding these activities.

Thanks again for choosing Steele Hill Resorts. Your feedback was very helpful. I am glad you enjoyed your first experience with us and I hope to see you up on the Hill again in the future.

Rob Robillard, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornton
Hampton Inn and Suites Tilton
#13 of 13 in Laconia
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#6 of 13 in Laconia

Been to Steele Hill Resorts? Share your experiences!