“Good family resort”

Steele Hill Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sanbornton
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Reaaly nice family resort we stayed there in late march in one of the suites ...rooms a reaally clean, bathroom spotless , the resort has womderful heatedpool, sauna, huge jacuzzi, xbox kicknet plany toys for the kids, they also have a good size gym wich they just renovated def alus! Overall really good place for the weekend! Thanks steel hill we have a good time there every year

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pool
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

It is always nice to hear from a repeat guest. It sounds like your family has enjoyed some quality time with us over the years. Hopefully we can continue to be a part of your family memories for years to come. I will let the housekeeping manager know that they delivered at a high standard for your check-in.

I am glad you enjoyed the pool area. The glass atrium is a great way to get a taste of the warmer months before the winter season has passed. It sounds like you noticed the recent fitness center renovation. We have had a significant amount of positive feedback on this new workout facility. I am glad you and your family took advantage of it during your stay.

Thanks again for choosing Steele Hill. We appreciate your business and hope to see you up on the hill again in the future.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I would recommend Steele Hill to anyone, the weekend I just finished was one of the best of my life. Prices were insanely affordable, customer service was above and beyond from the check in desk to the restaurant to the staff passing in the hallways. The recommendations for day activities we got from the staff made our day fantastic, the view from the room was awesome, the private whirlpool was so nice, and we were given a romance package at no charge with pancake mix, syrup, chocolate strawberries, wine glasses, and a $40 GC to the restaurant which was delicious for dinner and breakfast the next day :) They definitely gained a regular customer in me!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Julie M
Rob R, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

It sounds like a great anniversary getaway at the Hill. I am happy to hear we were able to deliver an enjoyable experience for your first stay with us. Our staff does a great job putting the customer first and it is good to know that your interactions with the employees contributed to a positive hospitality experience during your visit.

Thank you for choosing Steele Hill. There is no better compliment than saying you plan on being a regular customer. Hopefully you get an opportunity to enjoy our views again in the future.

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Based on the positive reviews here and somewhat mixed yelp reviews, we decided to check it out and bought a groupon deal.

I am actually writing this review from the resort - our room is in the "west unit" which is connected to the main swimming pool.

We checked in the room yesterday evening and asked for a room in the quiet area. The front desk manager said the room would be quiet.

Starting at 5am in the morning, I have been hearing banging noise. With this level of noise, i wonder if anyone can ever sleep. I hope that this is the room issue. The worse part is that the front desk is not open and i cannot ask for another room. The noise comes from people walking the hall way. It is the wooden structure of the building with a townhouse type layout (ie your room is a level below your entrance) that makes the loud noise. With this level of noise, we cant sleep here and will be leaving today. This has ruined our long weekend trip.

I am not even a light sleeper and am not writing about "noise". I find it difficult to believe that the resort gives out such room. I will never come back to this place and also do a better due dilligence before buying any groupon deal.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank sangman
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

We take customer feedback very seriously at Steele Hill. Because this review was posted during the stay, I made sure my managers followed up and provided me will all the details concerning the situation. Just to clarify, we do staff our main desk area 24 hours a day for the convenience of our guest. This information is included in our check-in packet and served on our in-house television channel. I apologize if there was any confusion regarding this issue. Obviously we would want to be in a position to help resolve any guest problems as soon as possible.

We did not register any other noise complaints from that section of the resort during the same weekend period. That information is not intended to invalidate this particular review. Based on feedback from my front desk manager, we did take action to address the concerns raised. The original room was a 1 Bedroom West suite, booked with us during a recent Groupon promotion. These units offer a range of amenities including full kitchens, fireplaces and decks. The rooms are also located in close proximity to our main pool area. As one of the suites we offered during the Groupon promotion, we generally had positive customer feedback with most guests considering this room a solid value for the deal.

As a result of the initial complaint my desk manager offered to move this particular guest to a 2 Bedroom suite in the main amenity building. This move offered significantly more space and in-room amenities, with closer proximity to the main pool facilities. Because the Amenities Center begins to close down around 10, the intention was to provide an even better value in an area that would have no foot traffic during sleeping hours. As this review was posted during the stay, I wanted to make sure we provided a thorough account of our follow up action to help improve their experience. The guest did end up moving to the new 2 bedroom suite for the balance of their stay.

Guest satisfaction is a priority for us and I feel our actions demonstrated a commitment to that philosophy. We never enjoy negative feedback, but this situation did provide an opportunity to thoroughly review our response and ensure the managers were holding the guest’s satisfaction in the highest regard.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I relied heavily on this site for my last stay so I figured I'd chime in. We stayed Monday night until checking out on Wednesday morning. We got a groupon for 2 night stay which was very inexpensive. Upon arrival after a two hour drive our room was ready a half hour early. We got a $10 off coupon for the restaurant which we were excited for. When I originally booked we had a two bedroom town house which was two floors but I changed before arrival to a one floor which appeared may have been a mistake as I will explain. We got to our room and settled in. The first thing we noticed was the furniture and rooms were a little worn. The door to the bathroom had wood missing on the bottom. We were in a handicap room which allowed us our own little driveway to our door which was a definite plus. I'll list the positives first. The staff was very friendly minus one person who was a little short in the west building. The room was clean but like I said appeared very worn out. The pool was a big hit with my kids as they could've stayed in it all day. The negatives of the trip are as follows. The air hockey table was broken in the arcade which my kids missed. The Xbox kinect they advertise wasn't working at all and just kept resetting. The room we had was right in the lobby of the amenities building and was really loud until about 10pm. With a 2 and 4 year old that wasn't the greatest position for us. I saw this before on other review and the rooms were really loud above us. We could hear water running, feet walking and the tv above us on well into the night. My wife was disappointed to find only one treadmill working in the fitness room and the other one was taken. We ordered takeout on our last night which arrived on time but looked as though the delivery drive had been in an accident with our food. The pizza was all smashed onto one side of the box and I got the bison burger which came with ketchup, no mustard and the two ends of a tomato which didn't look very good. Not sure why someone in the food industry would give someone two stem ends of the tomato but oh well. Overall it was an OK visit. My wife and I have been trying to find a place for a winter getaway about this distance from our home in Mass. but we're not sure if the Steele Hill is what we would go for again.

Room Tip: We stayed in 610 which is right off the lobby. Bedrooms were warm but rest of suite was freezing th...
1  Thank DKMGF
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

I am glad to hear the staff was friendly and professional during your stay. It sounds like your kids enjoyed the main pool area. That facility is generally a big hit with all guests, kids in particular.

I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your experience. Based on your description, you stayed in one of our amenity building units. The amenity building rooms are actually some of our highest demand units because they are located in the same building as the big pool. I understand your concerns about some of the issues you described. The amenities center is a popular facility at the resort and this can result in a significant amount of foot traffic during busy weekends. I can assure you that if the staff was aware of any issues they would have gone out of their way to make things right for you.

In terms of some of the specific problems, I will make sure the subcontractor who handles our arcade at the amenities center reviews his equipment on his next visit. In terms of the x-box Kinect stations, we have 3 of these units installed in the amenities center. It may be that one of the units was experiencing technical problems during your stay, and the others were occupied. As of our recent walk around today, all systems were functioning. I apologize that your were unable to use these. I understand your wife’s trouble with the treadmill. The fitness center is a completely new facility as of the last 6 months. We are proud to being able to offer such quality health equipment to our guests. I will make it a point to review the status of that treadmill with our equipment provider and see if we have to replace the unit.

It sounds like the food delivery was not handled with care. We recently rolled out the delivery program in the last two months and it has generally been a major success. I have already spoken with our Food and Beverage Manager based on your feedback to further instruct the delivery staff to pay more attention to the orientation and general care of the food during the delivery process. We will be diligent to make sure this does not happen again.

Customer service is a priority at Steele Hill. We take your feedback very seriously and I will instruct our managers to look for improvements based on your experience. The resort has a lot to offer and I hope you would be willing to consider a second visit. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I just spent two nights in the steele hill inn.The Inn itself is probably 100 ys old or older.I will say for its longevity the room was quite nice.The bed was comfortable,the furniture as well.The problems stemed from the fact that you could hear anyone walking up and down stairs to people downstairs.This was a time of year when it was not busy so it was not too bad .During the day the room felt very cold.At night it was unbearably hot but at all times thermostat said 70.We have stayed in other rooms at steele hill that were impeccable.We ate in the restaurant one night and both found our meals to be terrific.We were on a package and foundthe price fair.The views are magnificent.Both pools were quite warm .

Room Tip: Ask for a room in either steele hill west or steele hill south.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mainelytravel

It is always nice to hear from a return guest. The main inn offers some charming suites. These rooms each have their own unique characteristics, but they all offer a genuine taste of the golden age of New Hampshire tourism. The building was actually constructed in 1938 when a major hurricane came through and knocked down a significant amount of timber on Steele Hill. We are currently working on a mini documentary to showcase the history.

It sounds like overall you enjoyed your stay, but there were some issues with the heat in your room. I can assure you that if the staff had known of the problem they would have worked to resolve things as soon as possible. I will make sure our maintenance staff audits the thermostats in the main inn units to look for any issues.

I am glad you had a great experience at the Hilltop Restaurant. We have put a significant amount of effort into building a strong team in the food and beverage operation. It sounds like they delivered on both food quality and service for your meal.

Thanks again for choosing Steele Hill. We truly appreciate your business and hope to see you up on the Hill again soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had stayed twice last year at the Summit Resort (Steele Hill's sister resort) and the amenities and services provided at both resorts are quite good. In particular for families. The amenities and services at the Steele Hill resort are a definite step up.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Steele Hill. The kids loved the pool, the restaurant food and service was surprisingly good (we really appreciated how we were welcomed into the quite restaurant with 4 really young kids who don't normally sit well in a restaurant setting). I can't say that we have any complaints. I would highly recommend this for family getaways.

We enjoyed it so much that we will be back in May with 4 other families.

Room Tip: West side rooms are good for families to access the main pool facility without going outdoors.
2  Thank a s

A planned return visit is a great sign that we are doing our jobs. Steele Hill’s amenities package is second to none in the Lakes Region. I am glad your family had such a positive experience. The resort has a lot to offer families looking for some quality time together.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed dining at the Hilltop Restaurant. I will let our Food and Beverage Manager know that his team deliver on both service and food quality.

Thanks again for choosing Steele Hill. We are honored that you have already planned a return visit. Hopefully Steele Hill will be the backdrop for few shots in your family photo album.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My boss owns a timeshare and for my Christmas present - traded in a week to give to my family at Steel Hill. We had a fantastic time!

The family: me, two grown daughters and their boyfriends - one daughter and boyfriend was there from Friday until Sunday, the other stayed until Monday night. Also had a friend with her two young children, come up on Monday and leave Tuesday night. I stayed until Thursday, sad to leave a day early but had other committments. Also a nice feature was the bedding all gets changed out on Monday - worked out perfectly as I then moved into the master bedroom and my friend with her kids took the 2nd bedroom and there was no need to use the couch.

Date: Jan 18-25, 2013
Check-In: Even though we arrived at the same time as a number of other people we were checked in within 10 minutes.

Accomodations: I believe we were in the West building (sorry can't remember) it is NOT the building with the Atrium pool. We were very pleasantly surprised by how large our unit was. A huge master bedroom with a king size bed, and a jacuzzi tub - attached to the bedroom was a bathroom, that had a shower. The second bedroom was a good size, with twin beds and it had it's own bathroom with a full sized tub. The main living area was big and bright and comfortable. The only thing I did not care for was the pull out sofa - but I have yet to find one that I do not feel the bar coming through the mattress and it's not like I am a heavy person -5'4", 125#'s. I ended up just sleeping on the couch - much more comfortable. Oh and did I mention another bathroom complete with a shower. Every single room had it's own thermostat so everyone could find their own level of comfort. The unit also had two balconies with sliding glass doors. The seating in the living room was arranged so that two comfy chairs sat facing the sliders so you could enjoy watching the sunrise/set or just the beauty of the scenery. The kitchen was well equiped and there was a nook for a table with chairs for 6 that had a huge window to really bring the outdoors in. We enjoyed having our meals there.

Activities: Loved that our building had it's own pool with a hot tub and a large flat screen tv, one daughter and boyfriend went down and watched a hockey came from the comfort of the tub. One daughter and I did go up to the main pool, (I also came back and enjoyed the pool more when my friend and her little ones were with me) so that we could say we had been there, but really enjoyed the peace and quite at the pool in our building - UNTIL a couple families showed up - this was the only negative part of the stay - little kids do NOT belong in hot tubs - there are signs posted - however there is no one there to re-enforce it. I did not appreciate it when I was relaxing to have some mother place her child who was barely tall enough to stand in the hot tub, leave him in there and go for a dip in the pool, twice the child stepped off the "seat" and I had to haul him up - not my responsibility! Another mother with two little ones came on in - this mom had one child sit on the edge with her feet dangling in while she kept encouraging the other little one to come on up, she kept refusing and the mom eventually gave up and went back in the pool with both kids.

My younger daughter and her boyfriend went hiking and enjoyed themselves - their only request would be that you offer some hiking maps - the front desk let them take their laminated overview, but that really isn't very practical.
The resort offered other activities that we just didn't have time to take advantage of - next time, and there will be a next time, we plan on everyone being able to stay an entire week.

LOCAL ACTIVITIES: FunSpot - the largest arcade in, I believe they said the world - every arcade game from pong to whatever is the latest one out there. They also have skeeball and other games of chance, pinball machines, several lanes for bowling and a couple of places to eat, drink and be merry! We were there for several hours and had a blast.

Check out was a breeze and I was sorry to leave.

Oh - while I was there we did receive several inches of snow - but whoever maintains the grounds were quick to clean up, had no problem getting to my car or driving around!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Roberta M

It appears you had and your family had a great time with us. Based on your description it sounds like you stayed in one of our 2 Bedroom East Suites. These rooms have a lot to offer and we recently renovated them with new furniture and granite counter tops throughout. I am glad the unit was sizable enough to keep your party comfortable and happy during your visit. These rooms offer a great combination of spacious open floor plans and great views.

I agree with you that the pool area over at the main resort can be a great place to relax and enjoy a good book. I am happy to hear you did get a chance to experience both pool facilities. It is nice to have the option to visit both while staying with us. It sounds like your daughter and her boyfriend had a fun time on our hiking trails. They are one of my favorite features. We are actually working on an upgraded map, like you suggested, to highlight the hiking trails. We are hoping to go into production with theses prior to the summer season.

Thank you for staying with us at Steele Hill. We hope to see you up on the hill again in the future.

Rob Robillard, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tilton
#4 of 13 in Laconia
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#8 of 13 in Laconia

Been to Steele Hill Resorts? Share your experiences!