Steele Hill Resorts
The Lord Hampshire(Winnisquam)
Good 3.5/5
  • Free Internet
Great 4.5/5
Lazy E Motor Inn(Weirs Beach)
The Margate Resort(Laconia)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewssouth buildingindoor poolbig poolhiking trailsfull kitchenmaster bedroomping pongolder buildinghot tubvideo gameshilltop restaurantgreat place for familiesgreat resortrecommend this resortlakes regionhole golf courseviews of the mountains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My family and I stayed in the 1 bedroom West rooms last winter and had a great time with the pool area, so we decided this year to do a family ski trip with our extended family. I reserved 6 rooms to be blocked off together, they were not together. Check in is at 4pm, we got there at 4 and our rooms were still not ready! We waited in the pool area and were told they'd call us when our rooms were ready, they receptionist called me at 4:10 and said my room was ready and they'd bring the keys to the receptionist in the area I was in. I watched the keys be delivered a short time later so I asked the receptionist for our keys to which her response was I was lying about them calling,my room (at 4:20) was still not ready. Finally by 4:30 a half hour after check in we got our keys. Thats pretty ridiculous.
So we get into our rooms which are very lovely,except at night. We were exhausted from skiing and were kept up all night by a wedding party. My room,with my family was surrounded by people partying until 3am! My children and I didn't sleep and we had to be up early for another day of skiing. Wouldn't reservations keep that in mind when booking rooms? Keep families in one area and partying people in another? Nevermind those beds are the most uncomfortable beds ever,you'd be better off sleeping on concrete. Which reminds me,BRING YOUR OWN PILLOW!
. My next complaint is its been 6 days and they still have not credited my security deposit! Talked to my bank and nothing...ugh, they never received the credit for my security deposit. I called them and they said they did the credit and gave me a hard time about my bank not processing it,which is why I called my bank. I shouldn't have to work to get MY money back,especially after 2 sleepless nights there and a late check in. Bad business. I had hoped to make this ski trip a yearly event at Steele Hill but Im not so sure anymore,we might have to look into other places.
On a positive note the pool was great,the food was great and the scenery is beautiful. Like so beautiful. If Steele Hill could just fix the problems with booking wedding parties next to familes, put some sort of cushion on their beds, teach their receptionists the importance of great customer service and check in time, and hand them a check not bank card for security deposit...then I might go back.

Room Tip: Bring a pillow, a pillow top mattress cover, right a check for security deposit (don't use bank card,won't get refund) and request rooms away from party goers.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank saarifam
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

First off, I can tell you that we take customer service very seriously at Steele Hill. I am sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations. Due to the nature of your feedback, I made it a point to follow up with all the relevant managers involved to understand the events more accurately.

In terms of the noise complaint, the guest in question was not actually a member of a wedding party, but my staff informed me that they did make a significant amount of noise. The security guard visited with them 3 times during the length of their stay. I agree that this type of behavior from another guest is unacceptable. I will meet with our security team to commit our procedures to policy for removing a disrespectful party from the property. Generally we want everyone to have a fun, relaxing stay with us especially during the busy vacation weeks. In the future we will reduce the number of security visits required prior to further action.

In regards to the security deposit, my desk manager explained to me that she did follow up with both yourself and your bank to determine the cause of this issue. We do run pre-authorizations in case of incidentals, but the intention is never to encumber a guest’s funds beyond the stay. In this case, the funds were actually held up due to your bank’s policy with releasing pre-authorizations. I apologize if the cause of this issue was not conveyed clearly.

I also spoke with my reservations manager about the room blocks issue. It is my understanding that she attempted to put together a block of 6 consecutive rooms for you during the reservation, but was unable to find the availability in one location, which she conveyed to you at the time of the reservation. I can understand that this would be disappointing if you expected the rooms to be together or if she did not clearly explain her lack of availability.

In terms of the late check-in, I am sorry to hear that we were not able to deliver the rooms at our standard check-in time. The desk staff did say that they were able to send a runner up to the main amenities building to deliver your keys shortly thereafter. I completely understand wanting to get into the rooms on time. This particular vacation week was our busiest on record. We are excited about all the new customers exploring the resort facilities and our staff really did an amazing job redoubling their efforts to deliver for that particular week. I will sit down with the housekeeping manager to see how we can better prepare ourselves for a similar high-water mark in the future.

Despite the issues I am glad to hear you did enjoy the pool facilities and the restaurant. We are committed to delivering a positive hospitality experience and it is always difficult to hear that a guest was unsatisfied. I hope that you will consider visiting with us again in the future. If you have any questions or would like to discuss any further details of your stay feel free to contact me at robertrobillard@steelehillresorts.com or by phone at 603.524.2216.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were VERY disappointed that they were not set up for snowmobiling as they advertised. The trail they said they had was not groomed or marked. It was only as wide as a path. This was supposed to connect to NH main trail system. We asked desk were to go. They never offered us a map or anything.....We never made it to the trail system. The kids enjoyed the pool and video games. I just wish we had not dragged up all of our sleds and trailors.. Waste of time. Would go back for just the pool.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tricia d H
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

First off, I am glad that your kids were able to enjoy the pool area and the video game stations. Hopefully this offered some consolation to the trails not being broken in after a storm.

I can understand your disappointment if you were led to believe the connecting trail was groomed. Our property does offer access to the state trail network from the south east corner of the golf course. On our website we do mention the connector, but we do not claim to groom the trail. I can understand this could be daunting if you arrived after a big storm. Generally, today included, there is enough sled traffic to pack down the connecting trail and provide a more visible direction off the property. We do have many snowmobilers that visit with us, including some from as far away as Canada.

I understand your concern with the desk staff not being informed enough to communication the proper location of this trail. While there are a few maps available on snowmobile websites that show the connecting trail, we do not currently offer one from the desk. I will follow up with the desk manager to make sure they are better equipped to answer this question in the future.

Thank you for staying with us at Steele Hill. We appreciate your business and hope that the balance of your experience with us was still enjoyable. We would love to see you up on the hill again in the future.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a nice little get away with our children during February vacation and decided to try Steele Hill since we had heard many great things about it. When we got to our room in the North part of the hotel we were disgusted by the bags of trash and dirty linens all up and down the hall. We went to our room and it was old looking and very musty smelling. We had called the front desk to see if there was another room and we were told NO. We decided to go try the West hotel pool which was not bad. After we went to their Hilltop hotel for their All you can eat pasta dinner. That was the biggest mistake. We waited forever for someone to come and seat us then when they finally did and we ordered our food there wasn't any left. We told our server waited for another 20 minutes and still nothing. I left with my children while my husband payed 56 for a meal that we didnt even get to eat!
All night we were woken up by people running above us and then woke up to spiders in our room! We called a second time to have our room switched which seemed they were going to try to do. But instead we left and went home!

• Stayed: February 2013
5  Thank Ccat579
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

We take customer feedback very seriously at Steele Hill. I am sorry to hear that you decided to leave the resort. I can assure you that the desk staff would have used every option available to improve your experience. We did have many nights throughout the February school vacation period with full occupancy.

In terms of the dinner at the Hilltop, the busy week had some impact on wait times. I am sorry to hear that you left after 20 minutes. I will sit down with our Food and Beverage manager to further discuss the details of that night and see how we can better prepare ourselves for the next school vacation period.

I am most concerned about your feedback on the trash in the hallway areas. We have instituted a housekeeping program to utilize large blue trash containers during the cleaning process. I believe the issue may have been a result of the full occupancy producing more trash than these could handle. If in fact this was the issue, then the housemen should have taken the initiative to make multiple runs to clear the trash receptacles and keep all garbage in the bins. If the trash receptacle were not placed prior to some of the garbage being unloaded then we may have a greater issue. I will make it a point to review this with our housekeeping manager and determine the cause and solution for this problem. We take the appearance of our common areas very seriously and heavily emphasize their cleanliness in both training and during inspection.

Our goal is to provide the best hospitality experience possible and I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I would love the opportunity to have a conversation about your stay and get more specifics on the nature of the some of the issues you experienced. Feel free to contact me at robertrobillard@steelehillresorts.com or by phone at 603.524.2216. Hopefully we can change your perception on the resort.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband found this place looking for a Valentine's overnight package. The package included the room, dinner, and chocolates for $169. He said that when he called to inquire, the woman on the phone (Penny, I believe) was so helpful and friendly he wanted to book right away. He did, we arrived Thursday at 6:30 ish... check in was easy. We were given a room in West. The room was very clean, very spacious, and exactly what we were looking for. We immediately got dressed and ready for dinner... This was the highlight of the overnight. The meal was exquisite. Over exceeded our expectations by a long shot!! It was so good it needed a separate review... See my review of the Hilltop restaurant here on trip advisor. Back to the room so we could enjoy some swimming before the pool closed.

We thoroughly enjoyed the roman spa, and loved the pool area. VERY clean, and the glass atrium along with the tropical plants made it feel as if we were on a tropical getaway, when there was 2 feet of snow just outside the door. It was perfect. As it got close to 10 pm, closing time, we saw maintenance checking chlorine levels, etc in the pool, reassuring us the place is well kept.

The room was a 2 bedroom, full kitchen/living room - which was more than we needed but enjoyable just the same. There was a king size bed in the master bedroom as well as a jacuzzi tub. Our only problem was that he drain in the tub didn't work, so it didn't hold water so well.

We enjoyed the pool one more time before checkout the next day, and noticed the maintenance workers diligently upkeeping the place. You can tell management runs a tight ship. Everything was spotless, and well maintained. All employees were extremely friendly, and very professional. We are looking forward to our next visit. What a great escape!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vermont T
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

It sounds like you had a great Valentine’s Day together while staying with us. Our Head Chef really put together a delicious spread for the 3 course special menu. I am glad you appreciated her efforts. Hopefully it helped contribute to the romantic evening. Delivering great food against the backdrop of those views off the front of the restaurant is really an idyllic combination for a couple’s dinner. I will make it a point to sit down with the Chef and let her know that you enjoyed the experience.

I am glad to hear you had a chance to take in the tropical environment of the west pool during that snow storm we had. Watching the winter weather from the roman spa inside the atrium is a pleasant and unique experience. Our staff does a great job maintaining those facilities. I am glad you noted their presence checking the levels.

It sounds like overall the room was a great fit for your night with us. I am sorry to hear the there was an issue with the tub drain. I am sure after a fun night together you probably just wanted to enjoy the rest of your stay. That being said, if you had called up the desk I can assure you that they would have been more than happy to have maintenance come up and address the issue.

Thank you for choosing Steele Hill. We realize that time away can be hard to come by these days. I appreciate your feedback and hope to see you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed in West for a few nights and had a great time. You recently opened the bar at the big pool and that is greatly appreciated. The bar tender Heather was very friendly and remembered out names. I am sure she meets many people up there so I was very impressed. We went to the bar in the older building to have dinner twice and Beth the bartender was awesome. Great drinks and Great conversation. She was very attentive and was very knowledgeable. Great service people make a stay here memorable. My husband and I will be back.

Room Tip: The West has the best rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I am glad you and your husband had such a positive experience with us. The Food and Beverage department has placed a renewed focus on the service hours to locations like the west bar, the customer experience and the overall quality of the product. Feedback has generally shown visible results from these efforts. I will pass your experience on to our Food and Beverage Manager.

I am happy to hear that both Heather and Beth did such a good job. Unlike larger chains or more corporate hotels, we always try to emphasize that delivering a positive hospitality experience is really about the personal touches.

Thanks again for staying with us at Steele Hill. Hopefully we will see you again in the future.