“Lots of stairs. No breakfast on weekdays. Great pool.”

Steele Hill Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sanbornton
Boston, MA
“Lots of stairs. No breakfast on weekdays. Great pool.”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Pros:
great pool
grounds and rooms were clean
everything felt new and redone
food prices OK (stick to the lower priced items upper priced items didn't live up to the cost)
frog races were fun
golf was good-we got free clubs with the room deal
kids cheeseburgers were a good size
turkey roll up sandwich was very tasty
all you can eat pizza and pasta were good-wish pasta came with a salad

Cons:
no second beside light! What's with that?
no breakfast on weekdays- only choices were oatmeal and pop tarts at the "store"
hotel rooms only have microwaves-no way to heat those pop tarts
a lot of things cost extra (coffee, air hockey, pool tables etc.)
kids chicken fingers were only three TINY pieces-total waste
beef kabobs were over cooked
rice with baked stuffed haddock was plain-not bad just not great
food service took an hour-don't come starving

We would go back in a heartbeat just better prepared. Six kids spent the entire day at the pool, frog races and smores. But anyone who has any sort of trouble with stairs should consider carefully, there is hardly a place you can go without encountering stairs. We were fine but my mother-inlaw was very sore after a full day here. There are a few rooms that are accessible but make sure you ask first. Bring your own food before you arrive, why NO breakfast? My boys choose to starve rather than spend hours driving down to breakfast and back up.

This has the potential to be as good as a small Smugglers Notch, maybe someday. There are NO paths between EAST and WEST! Why? Choices were climbing over poison ivy covered wall, drive or walk on road to get down to dinner. No paths to west outdoor pool but very little parking over there either. Had to walk on road to get to frog pond also. Strange.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
It sounds like your family enjoyed the stay. Our activities director does a great job keeping children entertained with events that offer a unique New Hampshire experience. I will let our housekeeping manager know that you were pleased with the cleanliness standards at the resort.

I appreciate your feedback on the breakfast situation. We currently do offer breakfast on Saturday and Brunch on Sunday. As you experienced, the restaurant does not offer breakfast during the week. Management is discussing the possibility of adding a convenience store with breakfast items to the resort. With the majority of rooms offering full kitchens, I feel this would help increase guest satisfaction. I will be sure to pass on your comments as we internally discuss the project.

I understand your concern about the stairs. The resort does offer more accessible units. In the future, please don’t hesitate to ask our reservations department if they can find you a more accessible room. They are pros at working to match a guest with the appropriate unit.

Thank you for choosing Steele Hill as your vacation destination. I know how precious vacation time can be and we appreciate the opportunity to help provide a positive experience for you and your family. I hope to see you up on the hill again in the future.

Rob Robillard, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
SW Massachusetts
Reviewed August 15, 2012

At the end of July, we stayed 1-nite in the West units, in a 1-bedroom townhouse-style unit with a fireplace. We just wanted to get away and stay at a different unit! The unit (again) was insanely clean--I cannot say enough about how well they clean at this resort! Booked directly thru the website, got a great deal since I didn't want to use my points.

It has the regular keys again, which I'm not too fond of but I did feel very secure. Access to the room is NOT for those who cannot climb up and down stairs. We stayed in Unit 3B (if I remember correctly). We had to go up some slightly steep stairs (I had to carry our almost 2 year old and my husband had to help with our 5 year old), get to the outside door of the unit (which has a 2nd bedroom lock-off if you want to upgrade), unlock that door, go downstairs to the unit. We could have accessed the water park from that room, but it was almost at the far end and there were...more stairs. We chose to drive in the parking lot to get a little closer.

The kitchen: not as updated as the East unit, but was very clean, adequate, and had all the comforts of home. I'm hoping they update the kitchens there too because the East units have really nice kitchens!

The bathroom: Odd set-up! The shower was UP more stairs (carpeted stairs to boot). The tub and shower head were very clean and the water pressure and temperature were perfect. From the glass at the top of the shower side, I could see into the kitchen. Again, a little odd. Otherwise, the bathroom was nice. I didn't care for the set up (and I do NOT like carpet in a bathroom) but my husband liked it.

The living room: Nice and open! The kids had a blast! The sleeper sofa was clean and my kids seemed pretty comfy on it. The fireplace was a HUGE letdown. You have to use a "chemical log" in the fireplace, and it was really hard to read if the chute was open or closed. There was a chemical log provided with totally charred directions, and after a couple of phone calls I was able to get matches and had an idea of how to use it. (Note--written directions next to the fireplace or somewhere in the unit would be GREATLY appreciated). However, the log seemed to have run the course of it's life, and after 2 books of matches we gave up. (another note, I did find those same logs at Walmart for $15, maybe next time I will bring my own). Next time I will also bring a baby gate, as my children thought it was a lot of fun trying to go up and down the stairs!

The bedroom: Amazing, as always. Lots of outlets for all of our electronics (and we travel with a LOT), clean clean clean, beds were very comfy, lots of storage space!

The dining room: Again, clean, spacious, nicely located next to the kitchen.

The deck: Very spacious. This unit didn't have much of a view as it was on the ground floor. Nothing like the East view (which was AMAZING!). It appears they are doing some construction back there, looking forward to seeing that later!

Overall: I really enjoyed the unit, and it was nice to see a different area of the resort. The entire resort has SO much to do, we are happy we invested. We would like to try the 2-bedroom next time just to see how that looks like inside. I was told it was a master suite, and look forward to checking it out! It was very quiet and felt very private, even with the other units occupied next to us!

Room Tip: If you have little ones, bring a baby gate! Try to get a room a little closer to the water park.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RudeeRu
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
I appreciate your honest feedback. It sounds like you had an enjoyable stay, but there were some issues with the room layout and room amenities. I am sorry to hear that the fire log didn’t work out. They can take some patience to get started, but they do provide a stable fire for an extended period of time and are safer than regular wood. In the future if you have any issues like this, please don’t hesitate to call the desk. We have fire logs available and the staff would be more than happy to help.

The West Townhouse units are some of our most popular rooms at the resort. Guests generally love being near the main pool area especially if they have kids. The connected access in the winter time is another plus. These rooms do have stairs in the units with one floor serving as the main living area/kitchen and the other as the master bedroom. This layout can be difficult for anyone with knee issues, but it does provide privacy for the master bedroom and offers more of a vacation condo like feeling for guests renting the full townhouse. I understand your concern about a child gate, we are currently looking at a few models that should extend to fit the stairwells in those units. Hopefully these will be available at the desk during your next stay with us.

In terms of the lack of a view, the majority of the West Townhouse units have some of the absolute best views on the property. The end building that you were in does offer some peekaboo views of the White Mountains from the upper floor, but the lower units can see mostly forest. We will be bringing in a logger in the near future to open up some of the trees that have grown in over the years to make the view accessible to more rooms. I can understand if you were a bit disappointed compared to your previous stay. The good news is that the construction area you saw was our grounds and maintenance crew installing a recreation area in the field below. We are adding a badminton net, horseshoes pits and a cookout/grill station to that area for more guest amenities.

Overall I am happy to hear that your family had a good time. I love to hear it when the kids have a blast. Most of them see the big pool and start smiling right away. We look forward to continue to provide you with a positive hospitality experience in the future and I will be sure take your feedback into account as we structure our improvements for next year. Hope to see you on the hill soon.

Boston
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband were wandering in search of brunch on a sunday afternoon and ended up here. for $14per person we had the most excellent brunch buffet ever. in addition to your typical breakfast buffet fair, highlights included: steak and eggs, scallops and shrimp in a cream sauce with tortellini, plum and peach slices, Belgian waffle and omelets made-to-order stand with a chef, cream puffs, whoopie pies, perfectly crisp bacon, caprese salad. service was excellent, the quality of the coffee superb. We did not stay at the resort, just came for brunch so I can't comment on the rest of it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blondieish
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Sunday Brunch at the Hilltop Restaurant is great option for anyone visiting the lakes region. I am glad you had a chance to experience it. I will be sure to let our Food and Beverage manager know that you enjoyed your food.

We have been hosting a Sunday Brunch at the Hill for as long as I can remember now. I personally have a hard time staying away. The food and the views are a great combination, and I think most people have a soft spot for a delicious brunch.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully we will see you up on the Hill as a guest in the future.

North Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 12, 2012

PROS:
Three stars for the gorgeous view of lake, nice kitchen set up (big fridge, toaster, microwave, coffee maker, dishwasher etc.). The on campus Hilltop Restaurant has good food (not great) but the service was S-L-O-W. Definitely use your credit card to pay in the restaurant if you are participating in the Timeshare invitation to assure you will be credited to your account. Lovely indoor and outdoor pools.

CONS:
No air conditioner in bedroom, just in the living room area. The bedroom was HOT, poorly lit and stuffy with no window. I could not see the clothes in my suitcase nor read in bed - they must be using 20 watt bulbs in there.

The room keys are real keys - as opposed to plastic card keys - and we had trouble using them. They had to be jiggled in 2/3 way to fit, very frustrating and annoying. It took me a few minutes to get back into the room. Plus, we saw this as a security risk. Those old keys and locks could be picked by a kid on a bet. Another security problem was that there was no safe in the room. We are used to having a digitally locked safe at all resorts we go to as "the norm" for us. Having no safe was unsettling, especially with that weak, old jiggly door lock.

WARNING TO TIMESHARE INQUIRIES: We went here via an invitation to check out Steele Hill's timeshare deal. The invitation included a $40 credit at the Hilltop Restaurant, $20 cash for gas, and one free night. Plus, after the 90 minute presentation, we were promised four airplane tickets to many desirable destinations (two of which were good for us, Rome and San Francisco) that would expire in two years, as long as we stayed four nights at one of their hotels while we travelled. On the reservation call, I requested clarity on the kinds of hotels and prices available, and was told there were Marriotts on the list for as low as $69.00/night. This sounded like good value, so we agreed to make the trek up there and do this timeshare interview.

Imagine my surprise when at the top of the 90 minute presentation we were told that in order to get the four airplane tickets we had to stay SEVEN nights, and the hotels were ALL $350/night and up! This was a massive "bait and switch," totally unsavory and ultra awkward in the moment. We politely told our sales person no thank you, and then she got angry and said, "I'm going to throw you out of here!" She refused to give us the tour, and went ballistic!

Years of professionally dealing with difficult people kicked in for me, and I quietly said, "If you won't give us the tour, we are still entitled to the $40 credit for dinner (which we had the night before) and $20 cash for gas, plus a $50 credit to my VISA for the room (yes, they required a $50 deposit when I made the reservation, which was to be returned AFTER the timeshare tour.)

The sales rep almost had a stroke! I said, "Get your manager." She stalked off in some kind of frenzy and my husband and I just sat there, stunned.

Fast forward to the end: she stomps back to us holding money in her hand; the $20 cash she slaps down in front of me the table, and the $40 credit is on a piece of paper she violently thumps on the table. I ask her where is the $50 credit to my VISA? "Oh, we do that in the office, there is no receipt for that!" This was unacceptable, so I requested to see the manager. "He's not here now," she said. My husband reminded me that we will just write this up and file a dispute with VISA and definitely get our money back, not to worry and let's go.

Finally, if this was not painful enough, when we went to check out, we waiting almost 15 minutes for someone to show up at the front desk! This place is severely understaffed, and again, a security risk for me. If there were safe deposit boxes behind the desk, ANYONE could just go in there and blow off the locks and rob these people. When a staff person finally arrived, I asked her to please apply this $40 credit given to us after our timeshare meeting towards the dinner we had the night before. She looked at me as if I was speaking Chinese. "I have never done that before," she said. Inwardly praying for patience, I requested she call her manager ASAP and get clearance to credit my account for the $40, and while she was on the phone, we would also like to have a receipt for the $50 credit on my VISA for the reservation that was to be returned to me. She disappeared behind the wall to make her call.

Twenty minutes later - I kid you not - this young girl returns to the front desk and tells us she will credit us for the $40, but cannot give us a receipt for the $50. Again, my husband rolled his eyes at me and reminded me that we will be filing a dispute. Total time at check out: 45 minutes!

In sum, I would say that if you love this lake view, and can tolerate a hot, stuffy poorly lit bedroom, do go visit this place. But be wary of their business tactics and leave your valuables in your locked car.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VistaGirl39
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
I appreciate the fact that you balanced your negative feedback with some of the positive things you experienced during your stay. Our suites do have great kitchen facilities that can’t be found in any other hotel in the area. Also, the majority of the units offer spectacular views of the lakes and mountains.

We have made conservation efforts to install high-efficiency lighting in those units, but they do take some time to warm up to their full luminescence. We are currently discussing an LED lighting project that would achieve the same energy savings with improved lighting performance. I will take your feedback into consideration as we layout the new budget for property improvements.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the food in the restaurant. We have had a banner year at the Hilltop Restaurant in terms of demand, particularly during the high summer months, and this may have resulted in a longer than normal wait period. We are continuing to adjust service in the restaurant to meet this high demand and I will work with our food and beverage staff to help cut down on this issue in the future.

In regards to your worries about security, all I can say is that the resort staffs security guards on the property to ensure safety for our guests. We take the safety and security of our guests and their possessions very seriously.

In terms of your issues with the sales tour, I feel inclined to defend our company. Steele Hill has been selling Vacation Ownership for over 30 years. We offer a great product and have many satisfied members.

I have thoroughly reviewed your claims about our Vacation Ownership sales. As you know, all of the calls regarding the specifics of your tour were recorded for quality assurance purposes. These calls explicitly covered the gifts offered and the qualification requirements. I have also discussed the matter with the managers involved. After this investigation, I believe you may have had a misunderstanding. I also believe that the description you provided in your review was not accurate in regard to what was communicated both over the phone and in the confirmation letter that you brought to the tour. I understand you were unhappy with the situation and this likely shaped the feedback that you posted. I do not believe it would be productive to counter your story in a public forum or make any statements that would point out the facts I have reviewed. However, if you would like to discuss things further, I would be more than happy to speak with you.

Please feel free to call me by phone at 603.524.2216 or email me at robertrobillard@steelehillresorts.com.

Vermont
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 days in 44ab. South. It was far more than we expected. Large unit. with 2 baths and living space. Clean room and we had a great time just the 2 of us. I was a bit worried because we were on the second floor the maybe noise from above and below, but not a problem, Very quiet even with the children all around. We took the Romance Package. and our basket of goodies was on the table and the cheese plate came a wee bit after 4. The views were just beautiful from our balcony. We had a nice restful 4 days. Swimming and dicovering a beautiful place. It was easy to find. and the road is all nice and smooth. We are trying to find the days to come back and spend somemore restful quiet time. Everyone was very nice and friendly. We have no complaint.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south you have the views of the lake and Mts.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
I am happy to hear that both you and your husband enjoyed your time at Steele Hill. For anyone who appreciates nature, the Hill is an inherently romantic destination. I am glad to hear you liked our south unit. Those suites offer some great features and the views are to die for.

I will work with housekeeping and reservations to decrease our delivery time on the package items in the future. We have had tremendous demand on rentals this summer, but the platter still should have been in your unit on arrival. Thanks for pointing out the smooth road. I count my lucky stars on the drive up to work every day since they rebuilt it.

I will be sure to let the staff know that you found everyone friendly and polite during your time with us. Thanks for choosing Steele Hill to spend your precious vacation time. We hope to see you up on the Hill again soon.

Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I have been vacationing at your resort since 1981. My children grew up on the mountain and we all have fond memories of the activity directors and your staff. Your facility was always in great shape and whenever we had an issue with our unit it was always resolved in a fast professional manner. The local area has grown over the years but my wife and I still find it a relaxing and new things to explore. We will be arriving on August 3,2012, anticipating another wonderful and relaxing stay at your resort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Our organization is proud to have been able to contribute to your family memories over the years. Ultimately this job is about helping guests enjoy these valuable moments. We work to instill that philosophy in each employee we hire. I have been with Steele Hill for a long time now and I can honestly say that it is the feedback from repeat customers like yourself, who have grown with the resort, that encourages us to continue providing the best service we can.

Thank you for choosing Steele Hill Resorts as your vacation destination of choice. I am sure you have seen the Lakes Region grow up over the years visiting with us. I certainly hope that we can continue to provide a memorable vacation experience for yourself and your kids for years to come. I look forward to seeing you up on the Hill soon.

Lynn, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My family along with 3 other families stayed recently at the Inn, with plenty of room to accommodate all which was nice. My problem with my stay is that 3 of the families had views and balconies and mine had no view and no balcony, my view was the trash compacter and watching the employees from the restaurant on a cigarette break and we all paid the same amount which does not seem right to me. Don't think I should have paid same as other families and not have same accommodations. I called office and was told the price for the unit is normally higher and I got a lower rate but so did the other families. We all paid same price. Went to office 2 days later to talk with manager and was told a manager would call me. Upon check out I again talked to desk clerk regarding speaking to a manager and that no one ever got back to me and she apologized. So I left without ever hearing from anyone after being told an email would be sent to manager twice. After being home a week I realized I left a couple of items under sink in bathroom. To date I have made 2 calls with Brittney at the desk telling me she her self will check with housekeeping and call me back that was 3 days ago, still no call from anyone. Don't expect to ever hear from a manager or anyone if you have a problem when you stay at Steele Hill Resort. The stay was pleasant enough but no customer service at resort. Don't know if I'll ever get items I left behind.

Room Tip: Brother had million dollar view on golf course with balcony.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cathys41651
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
I can assure you that we take customer service very seriously at Steele Hill. I was informed by our Front Desk manager, Brittany, that she has located your items and we will be shipping them to you free of charge. It took us a few days to identify them as our housekeeping manger set them aside and had a day off while Brittany was searching. I am concerned that you did not receive a follow up contact from a manager while you were at the resort. I will be calling you personally today to discuss your stay. If you would like to reach me earlier, please contact me by email at robertrobillard@steelehillresorts.com or by phone at 603.524.2216.

I understand your sentiments about not having the same view from your deck. The main inn was built in 1938, and the suites have slightly different layouts. Despite the variations, these rooms are freshly renovated and offer our best value at the resort. They are some of my personal favorites. Several of the main inn units do not have decks. For this reason we do not advertise the units as having decks on our website. While your room did have a deck, I can see how the view was not as inviting as the other rooms in your party. I am glad to hear that you did find the suite spacious enough to accommodate you. These units have a lot of character, letting a guest experience a classic New England inn while also offering creature comforts like flat-screen TVs.

I look forward to speaking with you and hope that we can change your perception about the property and our level of customer service. It sounds like you generally enjoyed yourself during the visit despite some of the concerns you pointed out. Hopefully you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Rob Robillard, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornton
Hampton Inn and Suites Tilton
The Landmark Inn
The Landmark Inn
#13 of 13 in Laconia
Econolodge Inn & Suites

Been to Steele Hill Resorts? Share your experiences!