“Not bad”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Salem
Virginia
“Not bad”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This obviously isn't a 5 star hotel by any means I mean they allow smoking in some rooms which you can smell as soon as you get out of your car and when in the lobby, on the elevator, and on every floor no matter WHERE the smoking rooms are which was the biggest bummer but the good thing is that you can't smell it in your room. When I entered the lobby, the staff didn't greet me with a hello or anything, they actually never acknowledged me at all so I just went to the room I was staying in where someone was already there before me. The room is decent, it's got everything you need no I'm not complaining especially for the price plus you are right off the highway and next to Margaritas bar and grille. I enjoyed my stay all-in-all so I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a cheap place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was our fiirst time at this La Quinta, nice place, we would stay again. The room was clean and the hotel was quiet. Stayed with friends and they also thought the room was clean and that the beds were compfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Reviewed October 13, 2013

My family and I chose this time for some R&R, complimentary breakfast and to enjoy the foliage. We enjoyed this hotel, it was a nice stay but not the greatest. The staff was very friendly and accommodated our early check in and late check out requests. They offered us generous amounts of complimentary toiletries but couldn't accommodate our repeated requests for a microwave and fridge in our room. The breakfast was okay not a whole lot of choices however it filled our tummies and it was complimentary so I'm not complaining....well hardly.....lol.
We found the bathroom a little bit dirty with hair left on the floor, rust on the tub and peeling ceiling.
The area had a lot to do;hiked at the Salem state park, ate LOTS of great food, went to Jay Gee's fun center but it was closed:-(, loads of fun at Pinwheel wizard arcade and copious amounts of fall foliage scenery.

The area around the hotel is still developing so driving in was not aesthetically pleasing to the eye,however overall the hotel accommodated our need for rest and relaxation, although there were a couple of weddings and some rowdy folks on our floor but we did have sound nights rest!!

Room Tip: Do not stay near the elevators or ice machine, way to nosy with heavy traffic.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 10, 2013

All the folks here were ready willing and able to provide some of the most attentive service I've ever experienced. Thanks to all of them especially the GM Rich. I would and will most certainly recommend this Inn to everyone looking for a quality place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I recently used this hotel for our wedding night. Our wedding guests booked about 25 rooms at this hotel & spent a lot of money for a very poor experience. First of all, we found a tick in our bed.
Our wedding guests arrived at 3pm (check in time) & most of them could not check into the hotel until 4pm. None of the rooms were ready! Our wedding was at 5pm & many guests were rushing to get ready since they had to check in late. The staff was not accommodating at all. We tried to have our wedding party check in an hour early & they could not accommodate this. VERY dissatisfied and unhappy. Will never stay here again or recommend it to anyone. We are very embarrassed that our wedding guests had such a disappointing experience.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Cdg1212

Travelers are raving about these Salem hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I do a lot of traveling and this is one of the dirtiest hotels i have stayed in.
- Our non smoking room had terrible odor of cigarette smoke (as did the majority of the hotel). In addition to that,
thae 3rd floor hallway smelled like rotting garbage.
- The various trash receptacles (inside and outside) were often overflowing with garbage, beer cans etc..
- It does not appear the rooms or hallways are vacuumed on any type of regular basis - the carpets are filthy and have
debris in the corners and the items in the room (clock radio, etc...) are covered in dust.
- The bathroom was dirty as indicated when my wife wound someone elses hair in the shower... gross...
- The bathroom door was also very dirty and in need of paint or at least washed so the scum around the handle area
was cleaned off.
- The glass doors in the facility are do not appear to be cleaned on a regular basis. There are fingerprints and god knows
what else on the surface of the doors.
- The vanity in our room appear to have been smashed in as there was a hole
- The desk chair was FILTHY, with stains all over it.
- I saw numerous places in which crumbs were on the floor and swarming with ants and bugs. Hotel staff walked right by without cleaning.
- The 24 hour security door was never locked during our stay, making for a very unsecure stay as anyone could walk into the hotel from the back entrance.
- We ended up changing our room only to find that the new room was infested with bugs. At first,
I only saw a couple on the desk and was going to let it go however, when I returned to the room after
housekeeping had just been there to find my trash can COVERED in bugs, i proceeded to the front desk
(trash can in hand) placed it on the counter, and stated this was unacceptable. The ants started to crawl on the
front desk and the assistant general manager Rich tried to push them off inconspicuously, given there were other
customers in the process of checking in. Rich explained that there is some brush in the back of the hotel and sometimes
bugs will come in. However, i could see them crawling in and our from the baseboard therefore, this was not
an isolated incident and, there was definitely an infestation.
They offered to change our room however, I declined as i did not know what issues the next room would present and -
I was in the process of getting ready for a wedding in an hour.
- For my three nights of hell, the best he could offer was to take off one night. Given the numerous issues and filth
this place exudes, i would have expected them to waive all fees.
- Needless to say, i dont think i will be staying at this hotel chain again and recommend to anyone reading this,
be aware and do yourself a favor and book elsewhere.
- I can provide pictures and video of some of the items above upon request.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Richard G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Red Roof Inn Salem
Red Roof Inn Salem
#3 of 4 in Salem
Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2)
Park View Inn Inc.
Park View Inn Inc.
#1 of 4 in Salem
Days Hotel & Conference Center - Methuen MA
SpringHill Suites Boston Andover
Best Western Merrimack Valley

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Salem? Share your experiences!