“Nice Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Salem
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Enjoyed our stay. The staff is very friendly and treat you like family. A problem occurred in the bathroom and was fixed immediately before going out for the day. Will staty here whenever I visit the area again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Malden, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

This hotel was great. I read the reviews below and I couldn't believe it was same hotel. the staff was so friendly, My room on the 1st floor was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was small, but not staff and managers fault. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: 1st floor was quiet for me
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed over on a Saturday night for a friend's wedding that was nearby. We typically stay at hotels that are a bit more upscale than this so we didn't know what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. The room was very nice and the king bed was super comfortable! The only problems were that the room wasn't ready even though we arrived 30 minutes after scheduled check-in and our bathroom floor and sink area was sticky. The continental breakfast was great with lots of options. I wish I had seen the Belgian waffles before I made my choices because I would have chosen them for my breakfast. Overall it was a very good experience and we would stay there again if we needed to attend another function nearby. I

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Mansfield, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We booked this through an auction site, so I suppose that may have led to some of our issues. But not all of them, that's for sure!

Arrival: We booked 2 rooms- one for 2 adults and one for 2 adults and a child. Upon arrival, they gave us 2 rooms, both with king size beds. We were 'guaranteed' rooms with adequate beds for everyone. I'm not sure how a king size bed is 'adequate' for 3 people. I'm not sure if that's an issue with the auction site or the property. I have to give credit to the property here- they were out of cots and pack & play's, so the front desk manager (Isabel) really went above and beyond and located an air mattress for our toddler. This actually worked out very well and I was quite appreciative.

Then, they gave us our keys and we went up to our room. Opened the door, and...there were people in the room! And stuff!

So back to the front desk for another room.

Got to room #2 and settled in. See picture attached for cleanliness. A picture is worth a thousand words, no? Disgusting bathrooms that look like they haven't been cleaned in quite some time to have that kind of build up!

Next morning, came down for breakfast around 8:15. There were people everywhere! Sooooo many people crammed into a tiny little room! Everything was gone- waffle station was empty, remaining bananas were brown, and there was exactly 1 (one) yogurt left. We went elsewhere for breakfast.

We were gone all day and came back at 8:30pm. The maid had come in, threw some towels on the rack, and that was IT! Bed was unmade, nothing else was cleaned. Bathroom was still filthy.

Now comes the really good stuff. Around midnight, someone WALKED INTO OUR ROOM!! They apologized and walked back out. Next the phone rings- IT'S THE FRONT DESK - DEMANDING THAT WE COME DOWNSTAIRS AND PAY THEM!!! Now, if you've ever used an auction site, you pay up front. Which is what we explained to the front desk. Nope, they said we did not pay and we had to come down and pay $140 (the rack rate for the room). To which we replied, no way, we'll deal with this in the morning. Just what you want to deal with on a weekend getaway- unexpected 'visitors' at midnight and angry phone calls from the front desk claiming that you haven't paid.

So, next morning, we all head downstairs for another round with the front desk. Again, the breakfast is mobbed (the room really isn't nearly adequate for the amount of people- people were sitting outside, on the floor of the lobby, etc.). We have to wait about 15 minutes for someone to show up at the front desk (where else would you be during the busy check-out period besides behind the desk??). When the front desk clerk (Maria) finally arrives, we go over last night's 'events'. Her response is PRICELESS! "Well, I wasn't here, so what do you expect me to do about it? It looks fine to me. You obviously paid, so whatever". No apology, no 'sorry for your inconvience'...just....'not my problem'.

Obviously, we won't stay here again. Nor should you!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank kgoldfien

Travelers are raving about these Salem hotels

Brick NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Check in was slow and I could tell that something (mosquito? gnat? flea?) was biting my legs really aggressively while I stood in the lobby waiting to get checked in. I ended up with a bunch of itchy welts the next day. My room was on the ground floor and was loud due to a metallic fire door in the corridor nearby. In addition, although it was a no smoking room, someone had definitely been smoking in the bathroom relatively recently as there was a strong odor of smoke there. Luckily it didn't reach into the room itself. Speaking of the bathroom, I didn't realize until I got out of the shower that whoever cleaned the room forgot to leave anything but hand towels and facecloths which made getting dry a challenge. I ended putting my nightdress on my dripping body and calling for real towels, which arrived some minutes later. Otherwise the room was clean, and the bed was very comfortable. Also they are super pet friendly which was a plus as I was travelling with a kitten I was hoping to get my mum to adopt. Overall you can do a lot worse than this hotel and the price is very competitive.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the core of the building. Mine at least was very noisy from the constant opening a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
LA California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

After travelling by train from NYC to Boston we rented a car and made our way to the lakes district in New Hampshire. We wanted to get a couple hours away from Boston and chose Salem, New Hampshire. We are La Quinta members and just needed to stay the night.

We were pleasantly surprised, after the slow check in, at the front desk. The room was huge and it had a great bed. Very comfortable. The only thing was that we were a few minutes late for the breakfast and kind of got what was only left over. (It was our fault.)

It served our purpose just fine, no complaints. It was close to the highway so when we left in the morning we were right back on the road without a hitch.

I would recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Park View Inn Inc.
Park View Inn Inc.
#1 of 4 in Salem
Red Roof Inn Salem
Red Roof Inn Salem
#3 of 4 in Salem
Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2)
Days Hotel & Conference Center - Methuen MA
Hampton Inn Haverhill
Hampton Inn Haverhill
#1 of 2 in Haverhill
Best Western Merrimack Valley

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Salem? Share your experiences!