“Great for families”

Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2)
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Salem
“Great for families”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Stayed at hotel for close vicinity to Canobie Lake Park. Hotel seems to have been updated recently with a modern look and feel. Did not have time to use pools or eat breakfast. Front desk person was very friendly. Rooms were small but good enough for sleeping. Air conditioning kept turning of and on which was annoying, but then we put on the constant fan which was a little loud, but at least constant. Attached Margarita's was great for dinner and kids ate free! Overall a very good experience.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has Game Room right next to elevator. Kids thought that was cool!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
April F, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2), responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Jodesk,

Thank you so much for staying with us and your Kind review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay, and we apologize for the issue you had with the A/C unit! We will have our maintenance staff take a look at it to make sure it is cooling correctly, and see if we can do something about the noise level! We hope that if you are in the area again you will stay with us! This winter we will have great holiday packages and specials! Thank you again for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was very clean. The beds were surprisingly very comfortable! We all had a great night's sleep. It is right off the highway and about a 5 minute drive to Canoby Lake Park. There is a Margaritas restaurant on site. The hotel has a buffet breakfast for $10.95 per person. Kids under 12 eat free. There are eggs, bacon, sausage, danish, pancakes, waffles, fresh fruit, cereal and more. The only reason I didn't give 5 circles was price of room. We paid over $250 for a Saturday night stay. Other than that, it's a great place to stay.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
jcmickey93,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to give us your feedback! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay! We are very close to Canobie Lake Park, and have the indoor and outdoor pool as well, which makes it a nice getaway for the Canobie Lake Park summer outings! Please keep in mind, winter is coming and we have various other rates and packages coming out soon, that will be priced lower! Please if you are in the area this winter, we would love to have you stay with us!
Raleigh
Reviewed August 12, 2014

A very good place for family or business traveler. Right off interstate with full breakfast and a very good Mexican restaurant on premise. The price is right and a very friendly staff. Typical rooms with big screen TV. Clean.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Kenneth L.,

Thank you so much for staying with us and your kind feedback! We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay! We hope that if you return to the area you will stay with us again! Keep in mind as the holidays are coming, and we have a wonderful shopping package, if you are in the area for some tax-free shopping! Thank you again for staying with us!
Standish, Maine
Reviewed August 6, 2014

First walked in and the lobby is very nice. The girl at the front desk was very friendly, and made me feel welcome. Room was decent, nothing too fancy. Surprised there was no refrigerator, but not really needed for this trip. Walls were a little thin as I could hear people talking and doors closing. Bedding was very comfortable. Very convenient location, right off the highway. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
April F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2), responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thanks so much for your nice review of our hotel! We want you to know that we appreciate your business and I am so glad you found our hotel to be clean, comfortable and friendly. We certainly hope you will visit us again the next time you come down from Standish....my family used to own a cabin in Standish.....it's a quiet piece of heaven up there :) Although if you need to do some shopping, we are the place to be! This fall, the hotel will be offering a fantastic shopping package with The Mall at Rockingham Park, we hope you'll stay tuned. Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your summer!
Ocean, New Jersey
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Good location right off the highway. Stayed here a few times; the hotel is undergoing. Our room was large, quiet, and very comfortable. It appeared to have been recently updated. Outdoor and indoor pools reasonable size. This was the first time that there was enough seating around the outdoor pool. The Hot tub was a nice treat.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel! We sincerely appreciate your business and value your feedback very much. We try to offer the very best in comfortable, clean accommodations in a convenient location with friendly service at an affordable price. This summer we have hosted many wedding guests, business travelers and families alike and try to offer something for everyone. Whenever your travels bring you back to Salem, we would love to see you again! Maybe for a late summer day o' fun at Canobie Lake Park (we have an awesome package for that!) or maybe to do some Black Friday shopping at The Mall at Rockingham Park perhaps. Thanks again so very much for choosing us!
Hellertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 3, 2014

My sister and I recently stayed two nights at this hotel. We are both in our 60s. I prefer B&Bs; however, we could not book one in this area and opted to stay here. It met my three requirements: clean, quiet & comfortable. All the staff were friendly and professional. There was remodeling taking place during our stay, and it did not interfere.

We had breakfast in the Sunrise Café, which also exceeded my expectations. I had the veggie skillet, which was delicious and hot. Our waitress, Nicole, was a sweetheart. She took good care of us, without being intrusive. I must add that I am picky about where and what I eat; I am not a fast food fan.

My negatives are that the indoor pool had a strong odor of chlorine, and the outdoor pool was very close to a highway and lacked shade. A privacy fence for the traffic view (unfortunately, not the noise) and updated pool furniture and umbrellas would benefit the situation. We did not use either pool because our days were spent visiting family in the area.

I recommend this hotel and hope they can keep up the good work.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your review about your recent stay at our hotel! I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations as that is what we continually strive for. Nicole is a great asset to our kitchen team and I will certainly share your comments with her. Although our area is not known for a selection of B & B properties, I am so glad your stay was comfortable and quiet with a hot breakfast and friendly service. We want your to know that we appreciate your business and your feedback means a lot to us. We will have some exciting new upgrades around here within the next year including corridor renovations and upgraded pool area items such as new furniture and umbrellas to enhance the experience and guestroom renovations. We would love to see you again soon! Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Warm Regards,
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

On a recent trip to Portland, Maine, our late evening flight went to Boston instead, due to weather. With no rooms available in Boston, we finally located a room at this location and immediately booked the room directly with a female, who gave us the confirmation number, the address of the hotel, and took our credit card information to secure the room for late arrival.

When we arrived at 1AM, the man at the desk informed us there were no rooms. We gave him the confirmation number, and showed him the record on our phone of the earlier call, and he insisted we had no reservation and he had no rooms. He did, however, offer to rent us a room that had not been CLEANED for $50. So here we are in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night with a 4 year-old and no place to sleep. It took another hour of driving to find somewhere to stay.

Having a room reserved at this hotel and secured with a credit card means NOTHING. They will sell that room out from under you in a heartbeat and send you off into the night. The guy to did that should lose his job, and I hope he does. Rotten, rotten person.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Corey K
April F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2), responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Hello Corey K,
I am so shocked and embarrassed to hear of this behavior from a member of my staff! I am so sorry this has happened to you and your family and this is not a normal practice for our hotel. Sometimes a hotel can be overbooked, but typically a member of management will call the guests well before arrival if there is an issue with the reservation. I would like to have more details so I can investigate further to see who is responsible for this. I completely agree, it is unacceptable. I am going to message you privately to find out details such as your name, confirmation number (if you still have it), date this occurred, etc. so I may react appropriately with our staff.
Danielle Calkins
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Red Roof Inn Salem
#1 of 4 in Salem
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover
Days Hotel & Conference Center - Methuen MA
Sonesta ES Suites Andover

Been to Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2)? Share your experiences!