“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2)
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Salem
Whitman, Massachusetts, United States
“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My mother and I had plans to go on a hot air balloon ride on Sunday, Oct. 14th and wanted to stay at a hotel in the area. We had gone apple picking with family friends at Gould Hill Farm in Contoocook, NH and had a great time. We were looking forward to going to the hotel, relaxing, having a nice dinner and getting up early for our ride.

First walking into the hotel, it was okay. Front desk woman was nice, check-in was easy. We brought our stuff upstairs - stayed on 2nd floor. We had dinner at Margheritas, which was definitely nothing to write home about, blech! - Strike 1. We decided to go for a relaxing swim, sit in the hot tub for a bit. We had the place to our selves which was great. But there was way too much bleach in the hot tub. That's fine, whatever. We went back up to our room, got our pjs on and got comfortable. Around 10pm, the 2 rooms on either side of us were so loud. I called the front desk and they sent security up. It quieted down a bit but not much. - Strike 2. We started to fall asleep and around 11p my mother jumps up and says we need to leave! There are BED BUGS in her bed!!!! MAJOR STRIKE 3 - but this isn't the end of it!! She's got bites on her face and hands. Her eyelid is swollen!!! Seriously?! I called the front desk and they send someone up. A guy comes up with a plastic cup to get the bug and clean sheets. Clean sheets?! Seriously?!! What the heck are clean sheets going to do? They are not going to solve the problem!

We go downstairs to leave and I inform the desk that I can't believe they sent someone up with clean sheets and don't they realize that clean sheets are not going to solve anything at all!!! She tells my mother and I, we don't clean the rooms the cleaning people do. What does that have to do with anything? Obviously the rooms are not cleaned properly and they are not checked otherwise this wouldn't have happened! I tell them I want a refund on my credit card immediately! I ask what am I suppose to do now in the middle of the night?! All the woman says is...try Andover. Really?! She didn't bother trying to find us a hotel to stay at or even make any attempt to make the situation a tiny bit better. All we get is a sorry.

We had to drive over an hour to get home and our balloon ride was cancelled. Take my advice and skip this hotel when looking for somewhere to stay. Clearly, the hotel wasn't cleaned properly and it's totally not worth staying at. NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TerryK581
salemmanagement, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2), responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Terrry, Thank you for your feedback. It is very important to me that I get feedback from all guests. You and I have communicated regarding this issue in the past few days. Eco Lab came and inspected the hotel. There was no evidence of the bugs! I emailed you the report and assured you that we take any reports such as yours seriously and react with each comment and complaint. Each room is cleaned and inspected by our staff. The staff is trained in looking and fixing any issues before we rent a room to a guest. We did not charge your for the stay and we did offer assistance in finding a room in the area. We were sold out and called the Wyndham in Andover Ma which was the closest hotel with a room. The hot tub is chemically balanced on a regular basis and my maintenance staff tested it that evening. I realize this incident tarnished a special event for you and your mom. I am sorry for that lasting memory. I hope you will be able to move on from this experience and treat your mom to that special balloon ride!

Molly Mulholland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Vilvoorde, Belgium
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Price - quality this is a good hotel. Staff very friendly. I stayed in a suite which was clean, spacious, etc.. so nothing much to complain about. Colleague even had a jacuzzi in his bath room (wonder why I didn't get it as we booked the same room type). Everything you expect is present... But it's an old hotel... If you don't mind that, this is a good hotel. Personally I like the modern type of hotel a bit more.

Room Tip: ask for the rooms with jacuzzi
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
salemmanagement, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2), responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Salem. As you said the hotel has great staff and has some unique features. We do our best to upgrade priority club members and repeat guests based on availabilty. Please request a room with Jacuzzi jets for your stay.

Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Wanted to get away for the night and relax with out the kids. Very clean hotel and a very friendly staff. Used priority points for stay but I think the rate is a little out of wack for the property. It is poorly designed and the elevator system which are very small can not keep up to the traffic up and down which is not uncommon. The common areas are very congested, especially at breakfast you can exit through the back of hotel but that route is not well marked and confusing at best also the door was almost alway ajar which makes it easy for the unwelcome public to gain access to the ground floors. I have never had such a problem with room keys it takes a extract science to slide the card just right and trust me not my first time using a key swipe lock, I travel often for work. All and all most of the criticism is out of the staffs hands which was very friendly and personable. They have a first class staff working on a property with some flaws. the inside amenities are very clean and that is what is important to me. I would come back again for a visit.

Room Tip: Ask for room one 4th or 5th floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
William, Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Salem. Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff. My staff work hard and are friendly as they interact with guests and each other. It's great when guests take the time to tell us. I apologize about the back door. Once it was brought to the attention of our chief Engineer we fixed the door right away. Security is a top priority. I am glad you and your family were able to get away. The hotel is busy especially on weekends and it does get congested sometimes. Hope you will come back soon to visit us.

Regards

Wareham, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We found this hotel last year during a bad rain storm, and have enjoyed coming here ever since. Rooms are pretty basic, but very comfortable beds and tons of pillows. We love the indoor heated saltwater swimming pool, but hot tub is kept at extremely high temps of about 105. On our most recent visit the outdoor pool was filthy, and the indoor pool needed a good cleaning as well. Our lives are so chaotic and stressful that having a good go-to place is wonderful. We will definitely be back often. One warning however, if you pay with a debit card or credit card, they will put a hold on the card for $15 per day for "incidentals". Since I would never use the phone or buy food from their restaurant, the front desk clerk was very rude when I tried to refuse this hold. No one can be forced into this, but they won't even tell you they are doing it unless you ask. My advice, prepay your reservation and do not give them the card again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor and up is best, just make sure your door locks work, room on left off the elevator 3rd flo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
salemmanagement, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2), responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you Heodi M for staying with us this past summer. Your comments and feedback regarding the pools is valuable information for us to improve our service to all of our guests. Please note that our policy is to take a deposit from each guest check in to cover all incidentals that might be used. This deposit can be in the form of cash or on a credit/debit card. This deposit is refunded at check out if it is not used. I am sorry for any inconvenience of not knowing this at the time of checking in. Thank you again for your comments. I am thrilled you find us a great getaway. If you need anything on your next return visit, please let me know if I can assist you in any way.

Monument Beach, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

On arrival we were promptly checked in. We had a suite on the first floor that was nice. Nice separate bedroom and good size bathroom ( although we found it strange we got shampoo but no conditioner ), living are with nice little kitchen and pull out couch with large TV. First night we got room service from hotel restaurant. Prompt delivery and good food. Next morning we ate at the hotel cafe. Ok food but a bit expensive, service a bit slow but friendly waitstaff. While at breakfast we had put the rest sign on our door so we could freshen up before leaving for the day at Canobie Lake Park. We finished breakfast by 11 AM, freshened up, took the sign off the door and left by 11:15. Housekeeping were still in the hallway when we left. We got back around 6:30 PM to find our room had never been cleaned ( dishes from room service still on table, thankfully I had washed them myself so they didn't smell), towels still on floor in bathroom, bed not made, etc. I went to the front desk to tell them and to request some clean towels. The desk attendant suggested maybe we left the sign up on our door, which I told her we took off at 11:15. She did offer to have housekeeping clean our room but at that point it was late in the day and we just wanted to hang out in our room and not be disturbed, so I told her we just needed clean towels. A very nice lady from housekeeping promptly brought us towels and offered to help us with anything else. These things happen, but honestly I have never stayed at a hotel and had that happen. I would stay at this hotel again because it was a great location for what we needed and was a decent hotel. I didn't use the pool so I can't comment on that. We did eat at the restaurant Margharita's and the food and service were great. Our waiter Sam was great. Just hoping if I come back our room will get cleaned, since that's one of the perks of staying at a hotel, having your bed made for you. :)

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you capegirl_41 for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Salem. I am sorry about the housekeeping serrvice the second day. The standard is that we check with guests multiple tmes to make sure we service around our customers needs. I apologize that you didn't get the service you were expecting. I welcome you to come back and let me know when you are returning.. I will make sure your room is serviced along with all the other hotels each and every day of your stay.

Thanks again for staying with us.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my family for 1 night - we were in town for a wedding. The hotel wasn't anything special. The AC unit was really loud so we were woken up each time it came on in the middle of the night. The TV was broken and we couldn't watch it during our stay, we notified the front desk and they had someone fix it after we left ... how does that help us while we're there?

Not to mention the bathroom sink did not drain. The moment you turned the water on whether to brush your teeth or wash your face the sink would start filling up. How was this not noticed when housekeeping "cleaned" the room?!? Very annoying!

Another problem, we left the wedding a little early so we could go back and enjoy the hot tub and pool and when we got down there (to the hot tub) we were told it was closed and we had to leave. It was only 9:45pm and according to the book in the room and the front desk ladies (I asked them before we went to the wedding) the pool and hot tub was supposed to be open until 11pm! Had we known this we wouldn't have left the wedding early. Apparently the man working that night didn't know the hours of the pool and he thought it was 10pm - the entire staff members are not on the same page. When we spoke to the ladies at the front desk in the morning they told us, "Yes, the pool & hot tub are open until 11pm the guy covering last night must not have known that. We'll notify him." We then pointed out to the ladies that the sign going downstairs to the pool says that it closes at 10pm and that the sign should be fixed. All they had to say was, "Yes, we know but it's really open until 11pm so you're fine." .... HOW ARE GUESTS SUPPOSED TO KNOW THIS IF THE SIGN SAYS 10PM?!?!? FIX YOUR SIGNS IF SOMETHING CHANGES!!!!!

I would assume all Holiday Inn's are the same since it's a chain but apparently not. Our room didn't have a refrigerator and we had to request one. The manager was snappy and rude to us telling us if we wanted a fridge in our room we should book the suite/kitchenette room! She then was mad because we were telling her for 1 night we were not paying over $200 for a room just to have a fridge ... we didn't want it for alcohol - we needed it for medicines and food for my cousin who has a food allergy. After arguing with us the manager then said, "Fine you'll be put on the list of requests for one but I can't promise you'll end up with one and there's also a $10 charge!" HAHA ARE YOU SERIOUS since when is it okay for managers to be rude when you're making a request?!?!

I understand there were 2-3 other weddings that same night/weekend but that has NOTHING to do with how well you do/don't do your job and how you treat customers.

Breakfast was not free, it's $10 a person and it's the most silly set up I've ever seen. You have to "wait to be seated" just to get back up and get back in line for the buffet. The food wasn't that great either, the food was cold, some stuff was out and the eggs were cold/hard.

Overall, I would not stay at this hotel again, the beds were comfortable and it was in a convenient location to where we had to be but other than that everything else was horrible.

1 Thank Chris B
salemmanagement, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2), responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Salem. Your feedback is very important. We want to help make each guest stay a great stay! I appreciate your comments. and welcome the opportunity to speak with you and hear more about your stay and see what I can do to make ithe situation right for you. I want you to feel confident that you will get a great stay when staying here at the Holiday Inn Salem or any other Holiday Inn family hotel.

We work very hard every day to provide great service and a great produtct for all of our guests. Thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel

603-893-5511
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed 3 nights here -2 adults and 2 children- 15 and 12. Check in was straightforward and the room was comfortable and clean. The bathroom was fairly small but adequate for our needs and was very clean and well provided with fresh towels. Michelle from housekeeping noted there were 4 of us in 1 room and provided extra towels for us- a nice touch. Both pools were never busy and great to come back to after a day out. We didn't have breakfast there so can't comment on that. Very close to Canobie park and the shopping mall. A pleasant stay and if in the area, would happily use again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
salemmanagement, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2), responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Salem. The hotel is a great spot for families visiting especially those that going to Canobie Lake. I appreciate hearing great comments about the staff "Michelle is a gem and we are lucky to have her.

I hope we will see you again the next time you are in Salem

Molly Mulholland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Red Roof Inn Salem
La Quinta Inn & Suites Salem
Days Hotel & Conference Center - Methuen MA
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover
Best Western Plus Executive Court Inn & Conference Center

Been to Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 at exit 2)? Share your experiences!