“A Really Nice Restaurant”

Colosseum Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Colosseum Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 104 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Hudson, New Hampshire
“A Really Nice Restaurant”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We've been here several times - once even for my daughter's rehearsal dinner - the food is delicious and the service outstanding - red roses on Valentine's Day too! They also have gluten free pasta which pleases my daughter. The owner is always in evidence and everyone works as a team to make your experience memorable. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Nancy N

Methuen, Massachusetts
“Not a lot of effort...”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I stopped in on a Friday night and found The Coliseum to be almost empty. An Italian restaurant has jumped opened down the street and it is obviously taking some of the traditional strong business away. The service was good and the hostess was friendly but the food was much less than I expected. I had a lemon chicken dish and the breaded chicken was obviously cooked earlier and reheated and the sauce was weak and the pasta poorly drained. My wifes Veal saltimbocca was also watery and the veal was gamey tasting. I have visited this establishment many times over the years and I am surprised that the food has dropped off so noticeably. Draining pasta and delivering food hot and with sufficiently flavored sauces are all about caring. I may try this place again, but I am not sure.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank brittdad
Derry
“Great Italian”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Consistently good Italian food.
Not an everyday restaurant on our budget, but for a special event, when you want real Italian, you can't beat it. It's almost as good as my mother-in-law's cooking... I almost like it better because it's more varied than hers, but my husband would strongly disagree. She was born and grew up in the Neapolitan/Amalfi Region.
I'd have to give it "5" for Italian food!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank DerryTreeHugger
MA
“Disappointing”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The menu had tantalizing descriptions and a note from the owner about fresh ingredients and cooked to order meals. The reality was disappointing. The wait staff was inexperienced and seemed unable to even take drink orders. The Caesar Salad made in front of you looked impressed, but was soggy. We ordered a $20 bottle of wine and they returned to say they were out of that one and the next available Cabernet was $80 a bottle. We declined. The Bruchetta was lovely, but bland. I had the Gnocchi al Tegamino. It was nothing special. The marinara sauce was nice, but the gnocchi were not light and the cheese did not taste like anything but mozzarella despite the advertised blend of parmiagiano and romano. The chicken parmigiana was good, but not great. Overall, I thought it was pricey and the quality was not as promised. I would not go again.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Green1Ma
new hampshire
“you have got to be kidding”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

my husband and I met family here for a "special" evening out. Our 1st and last overpriced, very average meal at this restaurant. the food wasn't bad, it was just blah, We had heard this was the place for fine Italian cuisine. Nah, My husband I make a better, more flavorful meal than what we were served here. Next time we get together, it will not be at the Colosseum, when I read other reviews using words like amazing, authentic, outstanding, don't these people get out, even the chain Olive Garden has Italian food as good, if not better than this place and at a much lower price.

• Visited October 2012