“Nice lunch stop”
Review of Tuscan Kitchen

Tuscan Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Tuscan Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 104 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Experience Artisan Italian
Logan, Utah
“Nice lunch stop”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Good choices, particularly for the lunch menu.Good service and atmosphere. Would be one of the better selections for Italian in the Merrimack Valley/southern New Hampshire area. Would readily go again.

1 Thank Western55

Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent Italian dinner even for those with gluten intolerance!”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

This was my first time to this restaurant as it is 45 minute drive from the house. My husband stumbled on it when he was calling on customers in that area. Our daughter is gluten intolerant so it was great that they had gluten free pastas on the menu. I was warned that the full size portion was large but, i ordered the half size raviolis and there were only 3 on the plate. The meat and cheese tray we started with was delicious. We sat upstairs at the bar while we waited for our reservation and the staff was very attentive and friendly. The martini specials were also wonderful! We had a few of the gelatos for dessert, again they were very good. Overall I have to say the experience was very lovely, it was a special occasion so we didn't mind paying a little more but it is definitely on the pricier side for dinner out.

1 Thank Jeana S
Londonderry, New Hampshire
“Very nice Italian.”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Came here for Mother's Day. They have a nice extensive menu. Good bar. Excellent desserts and coffees. On the pricier side.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank JR_Kemet
Raymond, New Hampshire
“Tuscan Kitchen”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We finally tried Tuscan Kitchen after countless recommendations. It's very large (two stories plus an outdoor patio) and well-appointed. Our server was very friendly, but I could hear other parties being given more information than we received. Having asked for still water, I was given Pellegrino, when I could see others drinking tap water -my fault for not saying tap water when being offered sparkling water?
We tried the Caprese salad special, having been told that the heirloom tomatoes were local and organic. I guess we weren't promised they'd be ripe, either. (Our fault for ordering tomatoes in May?) However, the basil oil and fresh mozzarella were tasty.
Given that so many things sounded good, we also ordered the Calamari Fritti and Polpettoni. Both were very good (the lemon-garlic aioli that came with the calamari was good enough to eat with a spoon!).
My husband ordered the Icelandic (?) cod special with shrimp & pea risotto, which he thought was very good, but after seeing the price, wished that he'd gone with the scampi. I ordered the Tortelli Brasato. It was fabulous! I only ate a couple of bites, taking the rest home, as I wanted to try dessert, too. We were not informed that the double prices on the menu were for full and half portions (I overheard another server explaining it to another party); I would have ordered the half portion. It was really good reheated, too.
For dessert, my husband ordered the House Made Tiramisu, which he said was good, and I ordered the Torta Calda al Cioccolato, tempted by the toasted almond gelato, candied almonds, and milk chocolate (thrilling to not be forced into lots of deep, dark chocolate!). When the desserts came, they were out of the almond gelato, so our server informed me that she'd substituted chocolate for the almond. I was not pleased at not being asked and the prospect of that much chocolate. Little did I know that she'd misinformed me, and I'd been given chocolate hazelnut gelato, which turned out to be the best part of the dessert. The cake had no flavor and some of the candied almonds were burnt-tasting. That gelato was great, though.
I had to ask for sugar to go with the tea and coffee we ordered with our desserts.
I would return for a special occasion only, given the high prices, but it was very good food, for the most part (and I can't ever help comparing Italian food to my Sicilian grandmother's cooking!).

1 Thank Kirsten C
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good food in Salem, NH”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We went for an early dinner and got the bolognese pasta, tuna steak salad and a margherita pizza. Everything was delicious; however, two things 1) the dinner portion was on the smaller side and 2) our waiter could have been a little bit more attentive. I did see other waitresses that were very good/attentive to their patrons so it could have just been just our waiter. Overall, it was a nice meal. I may try the Tuscan market next time for our meal.

• Visited May 2014

Been to Tuscan Kitchen? Share your experiences!