“Tuscan Kitchen”
Review of Tuscan Kitchen

Tuscan Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Tuscan Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 108 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Experience Artisan Italian
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We finally tried Tuscan Kitchen after countless recommendations. It's very large (two stories plus an outdoor patio) and well-appointed. Our server was very friendly, but I could hear other parties being given more information than we received. Having asked for still water, I was given Pellegrino, when I could see others drinking tap water -my fault for not saying tap water when being offered sparkling water?
We tried the Caprese salad special, having been told that the heirloom tomatoes were local and organic. I guess we weren't promised they'd be ripe, either. (Our fault for ordering tomatoes in May?) However, the basil oil and fresh mozzarella were tasty.
Given that so many things sounded good, we also ordered the Calamari Fritti and Polpettoni. Both were very good (the lemon-garlic aioli that came with the calamari was good enough to eat with a spoon!).
My husband ordered the Icelandic (?) cod special with shrimp & pea risotto, which he thought was very good, but after seeing the price, wished that he'd gone with the scampi. I ordered the Tortelli Brasato. It was fabulous! I only ate a couple of bites, taking the rest home, as I wanted to try dessert, too. We were not informed that the double prices on the menu were for full and half portions (I overheard another server explaining it to another party); I would have ordered the half portion. It was really good reheated, too.
For dessert, my husband ordered the House Made Tiramisu, which he said was good, and I ordered the Torta Calda al Cioccolato, tempted by the toasted almond gelato, candied almonds, and milk chocolate (thrilling to not be forced into lots of deep, dark chocolate!). When the desserts came, they were out of the almond gelato, so our server informed me that she'd substituted chocolate for the almond. I was not pleased at not being asked and the prospect of that much chocolate. Little did I know that she'd misinformed me, and I'd been given chocolate hazelnut gelato, which turned out to be the best part of the dessert. The cake had no flavor and some of the candied almonds were burnt-tasting. That gelato was great, though.
I had to ask for sugar to go with the tea and coffee we ordered with our desserts.
I would return for a special occasion only, given the high prices, but it was very good food, for the most part (and I can't ever help comparing Italian food to my Sicilian grandmother's cooking!).

1  Thank Kirsten C
There are newer reviews for Tuscan Kitchen

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We went for an early dinner and got the bolognese pasta, tuna steak salad and a margherita pizza. Everything was delicious; however, two things 1) the dinner portion was on the smaller side and 2) our waiter could have been a little bit more attentive. I did see other waitresses that were very good/attentive to their patrons so it could have just been just our waiter. Overall, it was a nice meal. I may try the Tuscan market next time for our meal.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

When Tuscan first opened the food was amazing!! In the last year the food quality has gone down and the prices are very high for what you are getting. If you want a quick meal, head over to the Tuscan Market where the prices are not as expensive. They offer Panini's , Salads and Pizza's.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

We live about 6 miles away and have been eating at Tuscan since it opened. With dozens of meals both in house and take away we have regrettably watched and tasted the quality of their food go downhill. It seems that chef changes also mean food quality changes. For the money we'll return to Amalfi Trattoria, the food is much more consistent.

One high point is their Market. Here you can get most of their food items uncooked and ready to go. Better pricing and if the cooking is screwed up it's your fault.

3  Thank Bumpa44
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Have been here on several occasions, from romantic date night to business dinner to grade school reunion. Beautiful decor, friendly staff with great recommendations. A bit pricy for Salem, Tuscan stick out like a sore thumb, but in a good way. :)

Been to Tuscan Kitchen? Share your experiences!