“Great for a day trip from Boston”
Review of Canobie Lake Park

Canobie Lake Park
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Salem
More attraction details
Owner description: Canobie Lake Park in Salem, New Hampshire has over 85 Rides, Games, Live Entertainment and Attractions, including our wild roller coaster, UNTAMED!
Quincy, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great for a day trip from Boston”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We have been to CBL for the past few years with our daughters, now 6 and 5. It is close to boston, reasonably priced (compared to Six Flags) and has lots to offer for little kids. We love that there's a mini water park that you can cool off in when it gets too hot. Free parking, convenience to the city and having a place to cool off make it a great day trip for us.

Newton, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not going to visit again”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I read up on some reviews on this site before going here, and though some were critical, most seemed to be ok. I must have much higher standards than most people, because this was not worth the money.

There are not many rides to begin with, and with six of them not running there are even less. And this is during a time that I think should be the prime time for ammusement parks.

The park had a bit of small town laid back feeling to it. We asked ourselves more than once if they were going out of business, because there were no activity, no attention etc. We arrived early, so there were initially no lines. At least we got that. But as the day went on the lines grew longer resulting in semi-long wait times for not so fun rides.

We won't come back.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Christian W
Methuen, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Outage of disappointment!!!!”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

It's is July 27, 2014...
Husband & I (I with a disability) sit here in "WoW"ness to how cheap Canobie Lake Park is.
Their power goes out 20 minutes into our arrival, I ask guest services for a refund & she replies that they aren't giving refunds.
I said so if I pass out what would you do?
We would call the EMT...
As I walk away I was rather upset with myself that I didn't tell the old service lady that it would cost Canobie more $ to call the EMT's, cause a scene & shut down a part of their park to get me out than give me back my $60's.
This is my explanation as to why Canobie is CHEAP!!!

6 Thank Susan E
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Close by and a decent park, but getting expensive.”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We went on Monday, June 23, 2014. Our party consisted of 2 adults and a 12 year old. General admission tickets are $36, $27 for those under 48", ages 3 and under are free, and if you go after 5 p.m. it is a flat $25 fee. $36 is really starting to get up there in price. Fortunately, I purchased pre-season discounted tickets for $28 each, which were good for any day this season.

A huge disappointment for us is that there were quite a few rides that were not running the day we were there including the Mine of Lost Souls, Timber Splash Water Coaster, and the Equinox. It was mid-day before the Yankee Cannonball was up and running and the Starblaster was running off and on (although mostly off) during our visit between 9 a.m. - 7 p.m. There was also a kiddie ride that was closed, but I don't remember the name. In addition, The Boston Tea party wasn't running upon park opening. We had to go back to that ride later in the morning. With the prices they are charging they should not have so many rides shut down.

This park is best suited for younger children. Teens and adults won't find a lot of thrill rides here.

We went during the week so the lines weren't as bad as on the weekends, but there were still a lot of school/camp groups to contend with. For the most part the park is well maintained. There was always someone in the restrooms cleaning, but they need to remove all the gum from the posts at the start of the Log Flume ride. It was absolutely disgusting. And, the Tiki Maze doesn't look like it's been cleaned in years.

The food and drinks are very expensive and not that great.

With the expense and the number of rides out of operation, I think we may skip Canobie next year.

1 Thank NHMom67
Suffolk, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great for people of all ages!”
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Canobie Lake Park has something for everyone. It has intense roller coasters for the thrill seekers. It has lot of kiddie rides for the young ones. They put on great shows (we watched a wonderful tribute to Madonna). There is also a lot of food options dispersed throughout the park as well as a water park for those hot, summer months. I would definitely recommend taking the family here. We loved it!