“When your desperate...”
Review of Dunes Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rye Beach
Dunes Motor Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Rye Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We had to stay on the seacoast during the Canadian version of Memorial Day.Our favorite hotel was booked,so we started looking around Hampton Beach,NH.The Dunes was 109. and I was tired so we stayed,The staff was very good.But what a filthy,ramshackle dump! I feared falling through the upper deck,the floors gave way so much.It just makes me sick that all these years they have cleaned out unsuspecting stayers and pocketed everything without so much as replacing a floor with a damn piece of plywood at least! I'd like to give the owner a piece of my mind! But they probably live in the carribean on a private beach.The beds were really hard,I kept waking up with the willies due to the filth and mattress. I was afraid something might be crawling on me.

Room Tip: Pay more,suffer less.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank NikkiP231
RyeBeach2281, Manager at Dunes Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Nikki P,

It truly upsets me to see a review of this nature. We strive to ensure every guest has a positive vacation experience at our inn. Your comments have been shared with the owner.
I believe your words are harsh and uncalled for. I assure you that we make improvements every year and the owner is not in the Caribbean, but on the premises making sure his guests are happy. Had you brought these issues to the attention of the office or the owner, we could have addressed them at the time.
Please, when writing future reviews, use facts and not just emotions.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

Spent three days at The Dunes Motor Inn.What a dump. Overpriced and filthy. The pool was well maintained and clean though dated. The maintenance man and his dog seemed to be the hardest workers there. Staff was friendly and helpful but smoked constantly, inside the office. Parking was a joke with $10 parking for the beach and stuffing all the cars that could be fit on the property. Went out for the day and did not have a spot to park when we returned. Spoke briefly to the owner Paul about our parking issues and was told to park out in the back lot. Had to wait for twenty minutes before I could even park there. Tried to talk to the old man again about parking and he was rude and unaffected. Cleaning staff was lethargic, slow and lazy. After my room was cleaned?and linens changed there was still a can under my bed. Good job redhead. The beach was the only saving grace of this affair. I will not bring my family there again. Don't eat at the restaurant either, dated and filthy just like the hotel .

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Dave J

Dave J,

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience during your stay with us. However, in the 3 days you stayed, had you come to the office, some of your issues could have been addressed.
I am glad to say that there is no more smoking in the office.
I can assure you that our prices are very competitive with the surrounding businesses in the area.
As long as the pool is well maintained and clean, does it matter whether it is dated or not?
We would much rather offer parking after the state parking lot is full, than to send all of them home. And I'm sure they appreciate it, as well.
We don't normally send our guests to the back parking lot. So, it makes me wonder whether it was actually the owner to whom you spoke.
The restaurant is inspected each year by a representative from the Health Inspector's office and has passed each year or we could not open.

Reviewed September 3, 2011

Have just returned from a fabulous 12 day road trip around New England, the only fly in the ointment was the 1 night we stayed at Dunes Motor Inn. Similar review to other reviewers - the room needed a good clean, generally grubby and shabby, but the fleas and mosquitoes were the final straw!!! My husband would not take his shoes or sandals off whilst i n the room - the carpet needed incinerating!!!!
Tip from my husband - always ask to see the room before you pay. Needless to say, we would not stay there again.

3  Thank lozza001-11

lozza001-11,

Please know that we welcome your feedback and are very sorry that you experienced a less than perfect vacation experience at our inn.
Your comments have been shared with the owner and the issues you shared, were discussed with our housekeeping staff.
We do replace rugs each year. Unfortunately, you may have been in a room where the carpet had not been changed as of the time you stayed. We apologize for that.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

We had a VERY nice room. Great Ocean view, Very delightful staff. Our house keeper Samantha was very thoroughl. We always had fresh clean towels, sheets, etc... The bed was a little firm, The top blanket was scrachty. The continental breakfast wasn't qiute what I expected. The windows all opened. The little fridge was great, but little. The A/C was My fave. Between the room and the staff, I not only would stay here again.. but would definitly recommend it!

2  Thank Joseph W

Joseph W,

Thank you for taking the time to review our inn. We appreciate your feedback. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope you'll visit us again soon!

Reviewed August 18, 2011

This is a family friendly 1960's type of motel in a great location. Located directly across the street from the Jenniss Beach, the motel has a nice pool if you are not an ocean lover. Bathrooms have been updated, but bring a hand towel along as they only give you 2 thin bath towels and a couple of facecloths--not enough for 2 people when you are showering and washing your hair a minimum of once per day. A continental breakfast, set up in the restaurant on premises, is included and was better than expected: two selections of warm muffins each day, waffle irons and batter to make you own, cold cereals and instant oatmeal, fresh fruit, juice selection and coffee. There is a small refrigerator in your room and chairs/small tables outside of each room for snacking on the deck. Room decor is older but recently painted and with current window treatments. Window air conditioners leave a bit to be desired. It appears that people come back from year to year and some extended families were booked during our stay. In short, great location, older but acceptable accommodations, friendly staff and decent breakfast included.

2  Thank foodie50Ny

foodie50Ny,

Just a hint if you do return......ask your housekeeper for more towels. She will gladly give to you whatever you need!!

Reviewed August 18, 2011

My observations - front desk person not very personable - not very 'welcoming'; my room smelled odd - was coming from the air conditioner - removed the filter (easy to do) and cleaned it - was filthy - helped considerably; rooms could use a good thorough cleaning, top to bottom; bathroom window wouldn't open - would have been nice; pool slightly murky, but that may have been normal, hard to tell; not impressed with restaurant right next door (where ''continental breakfast' is served - waffles were very nice). Best reason to stay here is (free) access to the beach right across the road - fine place to stay if you're not going to spend much time in your room. One more thing, parking was a challenge - space quite limited - no problem for someone who isn't handicapped, I suppose.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank RVRSWMR

RVRSWMR,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We value guest feedback as it allows us to constantly improve upon the guest experience.
Your comments have been shared with the owner and the staff.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

When we first arrived, we noticed there was food left in the fridge from the previous guest. Not a big deal. Then we noticed little plastic razor head covers in the bathtub. We were willing to overlook this as well, even though it was obvious that the shower was probably not cleaned. However, on our second day there, we had to ask for clean towels and even though we left our garbage cans outside the door as a HINT, they sat there all day and night as the housecleaners walked back and forth, cleaning other rooms. I could have overlooked all this except on our final day there, while playing with my 11 month old son on the floor, I reached for what I thought was a hair tie, and found A USED CONDOM under the bed. For $150 a night, beach front or no, you would think these people would put a little effort into cleaning up the place which looks like it hasn't been cleaned, much less renovated, since it was built (maybe 1970?). By the way, the sheets didn't fit the bed, so we had to constantly pull them back over the corners of the bed during the night. ABSOLUTELY GROSS. Spare your children from this place. There were people smoking everywhere. I would not recommend this place to anyone. The front desk staff made no effort to compensate us for our two nights of filth and even seemd unconcerned about the condom once they realized it was under the bed and not ON the bed. Disgusting.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Edie J

It upsets me to see reviews such as this. Since your stay, we have gone to box frames so nothing can be left under the beds. Your comments have been shared with the owner and the staff. Most of the housekeeping staff is new and those who are not, have been retrained.

Been to Dunes Motor Inn? Share your experiences!