“Casual dining better than average”

Paul's Carriage House Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 21 Restaurants in Rye
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Wilmington, Massachusetts
“Casual dining better than average”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife, her cousin and I visited the Carriage House (not actually known as "Paul's" Carriage House in Rye, NH for an evening dinner. We all had drinks (beware... a vodka martini on the rocks is smaller than a vodka martini straight up and is priced at $7.95 where the straight up is priced at $10.95). The restaurant is kind enough to price most dishes for two sizes. So a half house salad is priced at $5.00 where a full house salad is priced at $8.00. My wife and I both had house salads and both were very good. My wife at the Half Chicken Piccatta ($19.00) which she found also very good. I had the Chefs Seafood Dish (full size $30) which happened to be Tuna Steak. I had it broiled with a scallion beurre blanc sauce which was prepared properly (I expected mine to be very rare .. ie raw in the middle which it was). Although it was very good, I don't give it excellent since I have had similar tuna steaks elsewhere which were much better. They didn't offer a Wasabi sauce which would have been nice. The rice which came with the meals was average at best but the mixed vegetables were quite tasty. My wife had a glass of house Chardonnay ($6.75) and I had a coffee at the end of the meal ($2.95). My wife's cousin stuck to the simple Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo ($18) which she said needed more garlic. The restaurant is located across the street (Rt. 1A) in Rye from the ocean. Unfortunately, the houses across the street block the view of the Isle of Shoals which were quite visible about 7 miles out to sea if you walked over to the beach. The upstairs area has a small bar which seems to be popular and was a bit noisy although not terribly so. Downstairs would be quieter dinning but with less of a view... not that the view was terrific. Parking was ample in the lot immediately off busy Rt. 1A. Cleanliness was not a problem and the service was excellent. Although not a top of the line restaurant, this was a comfortable and pleasant place to get a satisfying dinner.

• Visited May 2013

Rye, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disapointing”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

On a Saturday night, we were seated quickly since we had a reservation. The waitress was professional and we were able to order drinks and dinners in a reasonable period of time.

The "seafood chowder" was mostly potatoes with a lonely shrimp and mostly bacon flavor.
The daily special of panko breadcrumb seared halibut at $27 was cooked to death and so dry it was very difficult to even cut a bite. My wife had the halibut grilled on the side and it was also cooked to death.
The green beans, however, probably never saw hot water and were basically raw, inedible.

Dining quarters were tight and not conducive to a nice evening.
Prices were high for the quality we got, $75 per person.

Won't be back.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank mike2182
Lexington, Massachusetts, United States
“Weekend with the Jeans”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

After being away for the year we ventured back to Rye with great friends to the Carriage House. We were taken upstairs and promptly seated near the bar. We had a wonderful and helpful waitress who went through the menu with us. All 4 of us had a delicious meal - I particularly enjoyed the "Island Lady" the lobster was plentiful and the scallops were perfectly cooked. The drinks were good and my wife enjoyed the pasta dish she had. the 2 ladies shared a dessert and were very pleased. All and all another good experience in Rye - The prices were a little high even for the off season but the food was quite good.

• Visited January 2013
Hampton, New Hampshire
“Outstanding”
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

A top notch restaurant for the best food, all be it pricey.
We have frequented The Carriage House multiple times and have never been disappointed with the food.
This time however we were a little disappointed with the service. Our server never told us about the evening specials and then we waited 40 minutes for our entre.
A cold and snowy evening by the fireplace in this quaint New England seaside restaurant will put you at ease. You will not be disappointed.

Worcester, Massachusetts
“Worst meal ever in grim surroundings”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

After a long day of travelling along the East coast arriving in Hampton early evening tired and hungry we made a very very unfortunate choice in choosing to eat in this establishment.
On entering we were quickly ushered to the upstairs 'restaurant' ; the place had an unkept feeling about it and an odour which i mistook for fish but as the evening wore on ( all 1hr of it!) and after closer inspection of our surroundings e.g.. dirty worn carpets,soiled wood work and chair legs etc it became obvious that the musty and unpleasant smell was the result of poor hygiene.
The meal was delivered with 2 of us having the 'crab cakes'- as recommended by the waitress -!these were covered in a sickly disgusting dressing which completely disguised the crab and was inedible .The other member of our party was served a steak which had its had a strange unpleasant flavour served with lumpy and tasteless mashed potato.
I could comment further on the food - i am a former Chef - but what i really felt aggrieved about was having the indignity of having to pay $110 for a complete pile of rubbish served up in unhygienic conditions;this was in stark contrast to the meal that i have just eaten in Portland wow now thats how to cook FRESH fish Mr Carriage House owner -please visit and learn and stop ripping everyone off with that food served on the ghastly black plates.
I have read other reviews which seem to conflict with my opinions frankly i can't believe that anyone who has been here in the last say 3 months really enjoyed this place?!

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank nigglo

Been to Paul's Carriage House Restaurant? Share your experiences!