“Best Little Place to eat in Rye!”
Review of The Carriage House

The Carriage House
Ranked #6 of 22 Restaurants in Rye
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Simply delicious and worth the money. We have done take out from this place on nights when the line is too long and the wait too tiresome. It is a tiny place but the menu is excellent and the food is worth the wait. Busy section of beach area and the parking is horrific! Take out is a wonderful option when the parking is scarce. We rented a home that was across the street from this little place, which was how we discovered this gem. Won't rent that home again: Was like living in a fish bowl: noisy, and people always trying to park in the driveway and lawn to eat at the place! But glad we did that one summer as we found a place we love to come back to again and again for some delicious food.

1  Thank cbhnewhampshire

Reviewed June 29, 2012

Very warm, friendly dinnering with excellent food. Pricey, but good.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Always a good meal at Paul's. Great "date night" restaurant 'cause you can walk on the beach either before of after dining. A local favorite.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

What an amazing cozy little place with ocean views. The fact Paul grows his on herbs makes it that much better the Scallops are to die for and the Seabass is amazing!
On a scale of
1,2,3 being sustenance only, commercial norm and
4,5,6,7 being lower to upper "traditional anywhere fare to better than avg" food and
8,9,10 being " creative delectable artisanal exceptional " highest quality;
Our group gives Pauls carriage house a 9.5 for our group of 6

3  Thank FoodSnobsFL
Reviewed May 17, 2012

After 5 months of living around the corner from the Carriage House we finally had the chance to try it out. Overall it was a good dining experience. The seating difference from upstairs to downstairs almost feels like two different restaurants. It's a preference. We chose to sit upstairs. My impression of upstairs is that at first quaint but at a closer look the restaurant is tired and dated. I.e legs of the chairs desperately needed cleaning. Table tops are made of Formica, beige and the two tops are very small. Ask for a 4-top if you go you won't feel so crowded. The floors are thick dark carpet and the walls are very dark. Personally I don’t think carpet is the best choice for restaurants by the beach as it really retains the smells and moisture. There was a window air-conditioner that was filthy and not currently in use. The bathroom was pretty clean but the floor boards were stained with years of dirty mop water. Well on to the positives. The service was perfect. The wine list a little weak. The artichoke dip was the best I have ever had. Small size which I think is perfect. It's not a big gooey bowl of white cheese whiz! We each had pasta dishes which were very good. We chose not to go on the waitress's suggestion on dessert and we ordered the Tiramisu. It was the worst I have ever had. I'm not sure what they did with this dessert i.e froze it but the cheese part was extremely thick and heavy. It's a light cheese not sure what went wrong? The total cost of our bill with one bottle of wine, two apps, two entree's and one dessert was around $130.00 plus tip. Would I go there again? I think next time I would go for cocktails and appetizer at the upstairs bar. The experience didn't leaving me wanting to rush back like Petey's down the road, and I am a fine dining sort of person. I think if they closed down for a week and gave it a good spring cleaning, invested in some new tables and chairs and a little updating it would go a long way.

4  Thank shawnmsw