“nice, interesting & unique place to car camp”

D Acres of New Hampshire
Brooklyn, New York
“nice, interesting & unique place to car camp”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I camped here 1 night and then had their breakfast. We were just looking for an easy and nice place to camp after climbing all day. We made a reservation and when we showed up around 6 the staff was super friendly and showed us a big grassy area where we could setup our tent. This isn't a campground or anything like that, but there was plenty of space, nice facilities, and there was an area where everyone had a big fire at night. Breakfast was execellent as well...very fresh. It was something different and it was interesting to stay at a functioning farm and see what their mission is. I will definitely recommend and come back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
east coast
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I've been coming here for years whenever I spend a weekend climbing at Rumney. They put out a great vibe and it's like a second home. It's always fun to hang out with the animals and see a part of communal living. The rooms are all super comfortable, and having a great shower is just the icing on the cake. The sustainable living is a great example of how you can still maintain high standards while not depleting the environmental resources.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank climberchica
brooklyn, NY
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Dacres is always fun. The food is fantastic and almost all from the farm. If it isn't from the farm, it's from another farm nearby. There are great community nights-- potlucks, pizza night, and the first Sunday of every month, the Farm Feast Breakfast. Plus, depending on the season, there is cider pressing, snow shoeing, hiking, and swimming. Kids are welcome, too. It's a laid-back, friendly place that is a cross between a farm, an intentional community, and a bed and breakfast-- minus floral pillows and doilies, plus composting toilets. We love it.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Seabrook, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We can't wait to go back. My mother and I visited D Acres on a weekend in the fall, right before the 1st frost. The views were breathtaking! We were greeted immediately by Josh at our car, and he assisted with checking in. After check in, we were given a tour of the house we were staying in by Scott . This place IS our new destination for our annual mother/daughter trip. There were classes about gardening, "permaculture" living, and other things. The food was AMAZING! I would highly recommend this place to anyone, whether you are looking for a destination, or just passing through.

Room Tip: We stayed in the dorm room, but the green room would be great for a couple.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Rose89369
Bronx
Reviewed October 15, 2012

D Acres offers a variety of accommodations, from bunk rooms to tree houses to camping in a field in your own tent. For a traveller on a budget it is very economical and if you decide not to buy one of their delicious meals (breakfast and dinner served daily) you can use their outdoor summer kitchen or the indoor kitchen to cook your own food, and give them a few dollars for use of their fuel and water.
The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and offer tours of the farm, but they are also fulltime farmworkers so I try not to make demands on their time during the day.
I have camped in the Base Camp field and also in the Light House tree structure. Both trips were for climbing at Rumney so D Acres made for the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lisa M
Jamaica Plain, MA
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I go to Rumney frequently to climb and I ALWAYS stay at D'Acres.

PROS
1. Its affordable- you can get a private room for $60, or sleep on the floor inside for $15. They also have camping.
2. Its clean and cozy, and the interior is unique and beautiful.
3. They have a really nice, cozy library and living room.
4. beautiful views in an isolated area
5. the animals! Chickens, ducks, pigs, oxen...
6. great and interesting people and communal areas to foster conversation between new friends
7. You can learn about and experience sustainability while there
8. Everyone, hippies and non-hippies, love it when I take them there and request to go back.

CONS
1. The compost toilet is something to get used to
2. Only biodegradable products (shampoo, facewash, etc.) can be used in the sinks

*I listed two cons because these things are different and may seem uncomfortable to people, but I think should not be regarded as "evils" as they are part of the sustainability piece and not faults of D'Acres- give it a shot!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Maria F
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We recently stayed in D Acres for 4 nights in the Green Room. I knew this part of our 3 week honeymoon/climbing road trip would be interesting.

We chose it, so we could stay somewhere with character. We hoped that we'd meet some really interesting people, perhaps learn some stuff and have an inexpensive base for climbing locally at Rumney.

The facilities are great. I'd especially recommend the Green Room if you want to make a good base for all your stuff, although they also offer other flexible, comfortable hostel rooms as well. The farm itself is one of the most fascinating, earthy and aesthetically pleasing places I've ever stayed. It would easily deserve 5 stars. This had all the makings of a very very special vacation base.

Unfortunately, to our disappointment and surprise the residents were so unfriendly and insular as to offer no welcome or chat, to the point where we felt very uncomfortable just being there.

On our 3 week trip across 9 States we met so many lovely people, none so unfriendly as those in D Acres. Conversation flowed easily elsewhere and often began with a simple question in either direction about where you're from or where you are travelling. No-one at D Acres voluntarily entered into any conversation with us, despite our Scottish and Irish accents easily offering an in-road.

Having read articles and watched videos online, we were interested in their way of life, saw their social events and thought we'd leave inspired and able to take some lessons away from their homestead. In the communal living room/kitchen, we would ask how their days had been, receive largely one word answers and if given more info (reluctantly) never have any conversation returned.

We were totally happy to hang out together, just us - it was our honeymoon after all - but an utter lack of niceties made the whole experience cold in the extreme.

The stay was saved by a couple of other friendly climbers, who were staying there who also confessed their consideration of moving base. We all stayed simply for money-reasons.

I would be hard pushed to find another more potentially interesting or visually appealing location to stay, but so much of what makes a good trip, is the welcome offered by the people.

We left extremely disappointed. An educational homestead, could rarely have done so little to teach others. I expected enthusiasm and passion but got condescenion and a lack of warmth. So much potential missed.

As I said, the farm grounds and facilities (including the hostel's outside kitchen, an eco-toilet in which you can't pee! and very early quiet time policy) would all definitely get 5 stars - I loved all that; but the D Acres residents we met (and I hope this didn't include all of them) bring that down to 1 star, giving an average of 3.

If I returned to the Rumney area I'd definitely stay in the Common Cafe, in Rumney Village where we received a warm welcome, good chat and a great breakfast.

Having said that - if you read this and are suitably pre-warned of a potential lack of welcome - D Acres could be the perfect place to stay. It IS cheap and looks amazing and you never know maybe if they read this, they'll realise that a little humanity goes a long way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Helen C
dacres, Manager at D Acres of New Hampshire, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
I have contemplated a response to this review for nearly a year. As an owner and operator at this farm for the last 16 years and as a visitor to this property my entire life, it is with serious consideration that we have decided to invite the public to share our home. We have chosen to invite people onto the farm to share food, information and our lives. We have hosted thousands of people from all over the world with much success and lasting friendships. That said our focus is farming not rock climbing. We are committed to providing a affordable experience in a farm setting.

Despite the volume of visitors we receive I do remember these visitors and some awkward interactions. Generally we leave folks to their own business and allow them space to enjoy the "scenery" that we have created to share. If they express interest in a tour or further information about the farm activities we do make this readily available.

During this stay, we as farmers were focused on a young sow who had a injured hip and a litter of piglets. The sow had hurt herself mysteriously and could not stand up. We were forced to separate the litter prematurely and I had to put the sow down on the day these visitors left. You might remember me responding to your inquiry about our activities for the day and my response was the morose & elusive answer that we had to "dig a hole". I also remember waving goodbye to these folks as they left but being unable to stop for further pleasantries because I had the dead sow in the back of the truck....In general it was a depressing time on the farm and not likely good fodder for vacation conversation..Sorry you folks came a bad week. for celebrating your honeymoon.

As such I am responding to this review to clarify our commitment as an organization to provide quality education and affordable overnite stays that are augmented by farm fresh food. We are earnest in our intentions to provide a fantastic experience for our visitors though we are not a full service restaurant or bnb...We dont specialize in small talk and are not particularly interested in rock climbing but would be happy to talk about community, food, corporate globalization or farming...

Been to D Acres of New Hampshire? Share your experiences!