“A local favorite”

Ranked #2 of 100 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Granite Steak and Grill and Smokey's Tavern are located on Route 11 in Rochester. Offering an intimate setting complete with gas fireplaces and an outside patio. We present a homestyle dining experience, taking pride in offering the highest quality food at affordable prices served by a friendly, attentive staff. The menu exhibits top end meats in addition to chicken, ribs, seafood and pasta dishes. Our tantalizing senior menu offers a complete meal with beverage, entrée and dessert - pleasing the heartiest of appetites! Smokey’s Tavern located downstairs is the ideal place to meet with friends and unwind after a hard day’s work.
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I always go to the pub downstairs. Its less casual and offers the same extensive menu. The atmosphere is lively and is always good for a football game. I recommend the sandwiches.

It took a long time for this building thrive. It had many names before GS&G took ownership. The trip out of town is now worth it. For those going up to Lake Winnipesaukee, this restaurant could not be in a more convenient location.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

My second visit and was better than the first and will be going often.
The service was second to none along with the flllet tips,fried mushrooms and pull pork sandwhich unbelivable food.

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

A travellers delight to find such a nice place so close to rte 16. We ordered filet mignon tips and smothered chicken. Both dishes were delicious. The service was excellent. It's a real family place. Great valu

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Having eaten here several times before, I looked forward to a memorable Valentine’s Day dinner with friends. In the past, everything was great---ample portions, food cooked to specifications, accurate orders, and attentive service. NOT THIS TIME!

We arrived around 4:45 PM to claim our reservations. Our party of 14 was seated quickly at a series of tables for four near the gas fireplace in the main dining room. Nice ambiance! The restaurant was starting to fill up.

On this visit, I wanted to try something different from their signature prime rib and premium steaks. I decided on seafood. From the Light Fare Menu, I ordered the Baked Icelandic Haddock with steak fries and butternut squash at $12.99.
Friend #1 ordered the NY Strip Steak with rice pilaf and butternut squash at $13.99
Friend #2 ordered Filet Mignon Tips with salad and red skin mashed potato at $13.99.
From the Premium Steaks Menu, Friend #3 ordered the Filet Mignon with a cup of soup du jour and baked potato at $21.99. All steaks are hand-cut aged Angus.beef.
From the Senior Meals Menu, Friend #4 ordered the Fried 1/2 & 1/2 Combo with baked potato and butternut squash at $15.49.
From the Light Fare Menu, Friend #5 ordered the Fresh Sea Scallops with baked potato and butternut squash at $13.99.
Friend #6 ordered the English Cut Prime Rib, a signature item, with baked potato and butternut squash at $14.99.
From the Senior Meals Menu, Friend #7 ordered Fish & Chips with a cup of soup du jour and coleslaw at $11.99.
Orders from the remaining 6 people in our party duplicated the meals listed above.

Since everything is made to order, there was a long wait for our meals. Meanwhile, loaves of the warm house bread were brought to the tables. Salads and soups were next. It was about 30 minutes before we saw our waitress with our meals. The dinner orders came to the tables two and three at a time.

Friend #1 got a NY Strip Steak the size of three decks of cards. Friend #2 got enough Filet Mignon Tips for three meals. Both had leftovers to pack in doggie bags. A few others had leftovers. Others were satisfied with their meals; BUT, NOBODY WAS RAVING ABOUT HIS/HER MEAL this year...unlike previous years.

My piece of Icelandic haddock was BARELY THE SIZE OF A DECK OF CARDS. It did NOT have the DISTINCTIVE TASTE of FRESH ICELANDIC haddock. Was it lost from baking too long? Not fresh? It was difficult to tell. The steak fries were not anything to write home about. They were not crispy; they were slightly soggy. From the flat taste, it was obvious that they were not made from fresh potatoes. Rating of this meal = 3 JUST BARELY.

Then, it was time for desserts. I ordered vanilla ice cream. The waitress brought me strawberry shortcake. I sent it back for two reasons:
1) It was not what I ordered.
2) The strawberries were in a syrup. They appeared to be from frozen packaging. The cake looked soggy. The blob of whipped cream on top was puny.
It took close to 10 minutes for the correct dessert to be delivered.
One in our party got a whoopie pie for dessert. That was the only dessert that impressed me.

It had been a year since I’d eaten at Granite Steak & Grill as our group of friends went here for Valentine’s Day dinner in 2013. The last visit was better than this one. But, the food and the service on both visits failed to measure up to the standards of the days when the late Howie Seckendorf III, the founder, ran this restaurant. It was a 5 star restaurant. At this writing, TripAdvisor shows it as a 4 star restaurant. I hope the surviving partner/nephew and Howie’s family can restore the restaurant’s status. There is new competition. A new restaurant has taken over as the #1 restaurant.in Rochester.

If you found this review helpful, kindly click YES below.

2  Thank Maurene_K
Lindsay L, Manager at Granite Steak & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

We would like to learn a little more about your experience and correct this issue. I tried writing a message to you, but not sure if you received it. Please call us @ 6033303100 or write to us at granitesteak@metrocast.net with your contact information if you wouldn't mind. Again we do apologize for you experience, we would like to use this as a learning tool and correct the issue. Have a great weekend and we look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Place is always crowded, for good reason. Consistently good food and service, prices good. I usually order from the lighter fare seafood section and it is always satisfying even for my hearty appetite. Great friendly service and attentive wait staff whether you eat in the dining room or downstairs in the tavern. It's nice to have a local favorite in Rochester.