“Love the food, hate the parking!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Berwick, ME
“Love the food, hate the parking!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Have been going to the China Palace for years! Always consistent quality of the food and drinks . Our waitress ( usually) Kathy is courteous and attentive. Always quick to bring the drinks and clear empty glasses. Check in frequently during the meal to see how everything is and if we need refills. The only negative that we have is the parking situation. Only a few spots out front and no parking on the DD side . That means we have to park in the lot up the street, which can be a pain in inclement weather! That keeps us from rating the China Palace a perfect 10!

• Visited October 2013

Barrington, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Last trip”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have been going to China Palace for over 30 years. The quality has been hit and miss but for the past few years it was not to bad. Last night I ordered over 50 dollars worth of take out early in the evening. When I got it home I couldn't believe how horrible it was. The ribs, General Tsos chicken, the dumplings all seemed to have either been reheated or under a heat lamp for hours. All were dry and tough, no sauce to speak of, and barely warm. The egg roll and spring rolls both tasted slightly spoiled, I had a weird after taste in my mouth, and they too seemed like they had been reheated or under the heat lamp forever.
I called and asked for a manager. Kim picked up the phone. I told her the issue and she replied that she would go and speak to Stella, I think she is the owner. Ten minutes later Kim called us back and told me they had spoke with the cooks. They claimed that our entire meal was freshly made, but that they had in fact burned a couple of the dumplings. Stella was willing to comp us on the dumplings but that was all.
What??? I explained to Kim that I have been working in kitchens for 15 years and I know the difference between freshly made and not. I also told her I was very familiar with a cook covering his butt when busted pulling a shady move. The real insulting part was the owner deciding to trust the word of a cook over that of a customer. Unheard of. I will never go back.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Fred S
Florida
“Best place for chinese !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

We actually went twice!!! We love this chinese food!!! Wish they would get one here in Florida! Wish I could convince Stella to move south!!! This place has been in business since probably before I was born. The remodel of the place is really nice! I still remember the old decor. The food is amazing as always. This is what brings us back! The consistency is always right on! I know exactly what I am getting and how it is going to taste. You get a lot of food on your dish so go hungry! Thankfully you can take some home with you! If you looking for a nice atmosphere with good chinese food, go here. It doesn't disappoint!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank cosmogal_7
Strafford, New Hampshire
“Good food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Good food at a reasonable price. The staff is always friendly and you get quick service. This is a busy restaurant right in the center of Rochester.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank deabelair
Dover, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gross”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Aweful, owner is rude.
Chicken was raw and food tasted like dish soap.
Owner Stella told me I was lying and did not know what I was talking about.
Will never go back for the risk of getting food poising from uncooked or contaminated food

• Visited March 2013