“Go somewhere else”

Ranked #1 of 3 Rochester B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Go somewhere else”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

The service was rude. Just thinking about my experience upsets me. Management did not help when the reservation was mixed up. In fact, the response to the mixed up room problem was met by various excuses in a very condescending tone.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elle N
Herman E, Manager at The Governor's Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
We are so sorry to hear about your experience. We really pride ourselves on superior guest service, so we were very surprised to hear of a reservation mixup and your dissatisfaction.
We've been keeping guests very happy for over 21 years and take any dissatisfaction to heart. We would love to learn more from you about what happened and when so we can take very positive measures to always ensure complete guest satisfaction - so please get in touch with me, or let me know what is the most convenient way to reach you. Thank you so much,
Herman
The Governor's Inn
603-332-0107

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Berwick, Maine
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We held our daughters wedding Rehearsal, and wedding at the Governors inn. The planning went great and Lisa was great to work with as a coordinator and easily accesible via email which is the best way for me to be able to work out details. We had our Wedding rehersal dinner there for about 30 and the food and drinks and service was so good that I worried it would be better than the wedding! My daughter the bride, her maid of honor and myself stayed over night after the rehearsal. The room was nice and quaint. The wedding exceeded our expectations. The food was the best food i've ever had at a wedding. Shane the Bartender was so great. The only issue was a table at the reception got their food very late after most had already eaten. I think it was a mistake. We rented out the inn for that night and after the wedding ordered take out and used the sitting area by the pub to continue our festivites. Everyone had a great time and we had our daughters baby shower there in late January with just as much wonderful service and food. I would highly recomend the Governors Inn.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kerry N
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We had booked a room in the Governor's Inn, because of the positive reviews in Trip advisor. Our room on the 2nd floor was spacious and clean. The furniture remembered of past times, but this is to be expected in a traditional inn like this. We enjoyed our stay.
We had evening dinner in the hotel’s restaurant and ordered macaroni & cheese with a chicken topping and garlic bread. How could we know that this was one of the cook’s favorites: all was freshly made with a variety of excellent ingredients. It was very tasty. We enjoyed it, but were only able to eat half of it. The waitress confirmed that hardly ever a person could finish the plate because of the most generous portion. The breakfast was a kind of "continental plus" and all was fresh and tasty. We think that we really have had value for money in the Governor's Inn.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitesboro, New York
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed at the Inn over Columbus Day weekend. Our room was #224 which had a tricky lock which was difficult to lock (we informed the owners). Hopefully, this problem is resolved. Otherwise, we found the inn to be exactly what we were looking for....something personal, old, and not commercial. The breakfast was as described...continental but fulfilling. We found the historical information about the inn made it a interesting place to stay. We could see it as a great place to have a destination reunion or wedding.

Room Tip: Room 224 had a small shower stall and king bed.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The Governor's Inn is a quaint, lovely looking property that, on the inside, shows a little bit of wear and tear. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly...the restaurant has high quality food, although the live entertainment on the night we ate there was pretty painful. You're right in the downtown (such as it is), but feel secluded, so you've got the best of both worlds. It's a great base of operations for exploring the area.

We had a somewhat atypical experience, perhaps, as the Inn was hosting a major even that night, so things were loud and crowded and it was hard to sleep due to all the commotion. The room also got quite stuffy in the summer.

Still, you don't have many options out in this neck of the woods, and this struck us as the best. Again, the phenomenal staff make up for a lot of the shortcomings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rochester, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This fine establishment reflects the true traditions of an Inn: An establishment that will feed, wine and water the weary and sore footed and pack them off to a comfortable room and bed with a warm heart and a full belly.

Upon arriving at Governors Inn and Restaurant, I was met by Robin, the Restaurant Manager and who I perceive to be General Manager. She checked me in efficiently, courteously and, as some one who travels a great deal I appreciate this the most; a human rather than a credit line on a corporate spreadsheet that is the norm in most of my traveling experience.

Being one of the hottest days of the year, after moving into my comfortable room (queen bed with fully functioning free internet) I turned on the small but adequate air conditioner and retired to the bar for a refreshing ale. There I met Shane, the bartender, who was welcoming and friendly and plied me with a cleansing IPA out of the tap.

Later, I stopped for dinner. The comfortable, casual, pub ambiance was complemented with an excellent menu of interesting advertisers, seafood, various meat and vegetarian dishes and salads. I'd estimate the average entree to be aroudn $18. I chose the Seafood Gratine. The service was prompt and professional. The food just excellent. I know by this point I'm raving but it really was excellent. I travel all the time and eat out (by necessity, not choice) as much as I eat in. This dish was memorable.

I was here midweek so there was no live entertainment but Shane told me that from Thursday through Sunday they support live music. There is a pleasant beer garden outback which I assume is in use when they have music.

At the risk of booring any readers and loosing credibility I'll leave off here but I'm really glad to know such an establishment still exists in the USA.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Matthew_Cook
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I attended a recent corporate meeting and was pleasantly surprised at the classic New England architecture of the building and beautiful grounds. Unfortunately there were some issues. None of the door stalls in the ladies room closed or locked. The internet connection gave only two bars, so if you have to still conduct business you won't be able to there. The projection screen hung crookedly. The whole point of using a projection screen is that it maximizes image brightness. Unfortunately it showed the PPT slides as very dark, even though the laptops were set to the brightest setting possible. Also, the entrance to the parking lot was one way which is fine, but there was no signage for exiting the parking lot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester
The Anchorage Inn - Rochester
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dover
Hampton Inn Dover
Hampton Inn Dover
#1 of 6 in Dover
Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover
Comfort Inn & Suites Dover

Been to The Governor's Inn? Share your experiences!