“Finally, a true Inn”

Ranked #1 of 3 Rochester B&B and Inns
Rochester, New Hampshire
“Finally, a true Inn”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This fine establishment reflects the true traditions of an Inn: An establishment that will feed, wine and water the weary and sore footed and pack them off to a comfortable room and bed with a warm heart and a full belly.

Upon arriving at Governors Inn and Restaurant, I was met by Robin, the Restaurant Manager and who I perceive to be General Manager. She checked me in efficiently, courteously and, as some one who travels a great deal I appreciate this the most; a human rather than a credit line on a corporate spreadsheet that is the norm in most of my traveling experience.

Being one of the hottest days of the year, after moving into my comfortable room (queen bed with fully functioning free internet) I turned on the small but adequate air conditioner and retired to the bar for a refreshing ale. There I met Shane, the bartender, who was welcoming and friendly and plied me with a cleansing IPA out of the tap.

Later, I stopped for dinner. The comfortable, casual, pub ambiance was complemented with an excellent menu of interesting advertisers, seafood, various meat and vegetarian dishes and salads. I'd estimate the average entree to be aroudn $18. I chose the Seafood Gratine. The service was prompt and professional. The food just excellent. I know by this point I'm raving but it really was excellent. I travel all the time and eat out (by necessity, not choice) as much as I eat in. This dish was memorable.

I was here midweek so there was no live entertainment but Shane told me that from Thursday through Sunday they support live music. There is a pleasant beer garden outback which I assume is in use when they have music.

At the risk of booring any readers and loosing credibility I'll leave off here but I'm really glad to know such an establishment still exists in the USA.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Matthew_Cook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I attended a recent corporate meeting and was pleasantly surprised at the classic New England architecture of the building and beautiful grounds. Unfortunately there were some issues. None of the door stalls in the ladies room closed or locked. The internet connection gave only two bars, so if you have to still conduct business you won't be able to there. The projection screen hung crookedly. The whole point of using a projection screen is that it maximizes image brightness. Unfortunately it showed the PPT slides as very dark, even though the laptops were set to the brightest setting possible. Also, the entrance to the parking lot was one way which is fine, but there was no signage for exiting the parking lot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Once again we were on the bike and caught in the rain. This year that is no surprise.
We could barely see.The black as coal, and there was lightning and thunder all around us. A giant Oak or maple had just been struck by lightning moments before we drove by it, and it lay almost covering the road, but not quite thank god, and the police had already arrived. We were only five miles out of Rochester and that was our destination when the rain started so we kept going. We had just gone through a smaller town with hotels just before the border in Main but decided to take the chance and dash for Rochester NH

We had no Idea what to expect but knew that Rochester had a few hotels so we just road in hoping for the best, and we came pretty close. Just as we hit the outskirts of Rochester off the ramp the rain stopped and the thick, black clouds dissipated and made way for a few rays of sun. We knew it was a sign. We were going to pull over and search for a chain (Best Western being our favorite of the chains when on our bike) when Keltie spotted the Governor's Inn. We pulled in and she went inside and booked the room right away. She really like it. They only had one room left and it was a little small but we were more than happy to have it. The place has tons of outdoor covered seating front and side, and you can tell it is a favorite of the locals.

We quickly unpacked and settled into our room. I parked the bike under a tree in the back, which has lots of parking space and I would make the suggestion that with that much space they should consider building a covered shelter for bikes. I'm sure this place would get a lot of riders and they could advertise Biker Friendly with the addition of a laundry facility.

After clean up we went down stairs to the full pub setting. They also have lovely dining rooms.

The pub was perfect for us and our meal was delicious.(The second best Clam chowder we had on this trip) Draft beer choices limited but enough. The best part was we arrived in time to catch the final game of the 2013 Stanley Cup between Boston and Chicago, which they had playing on a few flat screens. High and dry, full and a Stanley Cup game on the TV, it was the perfect ending to a wonderful day. The pub grub was excellent, staff was attentive and friendly right from check in, and there were plenty of locals in the bar to talk to. My only complaint was that the bed (in our room) had seen better days and the airconditioner in the window which we needed to run all night was noisy. Breakfast was sufficient and quiet in a charming old room and considering we had just pulled in with no reservation we were very happy over all. We would stay there again but hopefully could book ahead enough to get a nicer room. It looked like it would be a very nice place to eat outside there on a hot but dry summer's eve. Very charming place and if you are in the hood, it would be worth checking out.

Room Tip: Did not keep track of my room number but ask for a large room I guess. couldn't hurt. If you...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EasyRider54
seattle
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed here at the last minute as we needed to get out of driving in a downpour. Rates were comparable to the chain hotels in the area and we were pleasantly surprised with the room. Although our first room had no hot water for some strange reason we were promptly assisted in moving to another room. The room was huge and tastefully decorated though the age is showing through in some places. Breakfast was a large continental style of muffins, banana bread, granola, juice, yogurt etc....no eggs and scarcer eats if you are gluten intolerant. We left our camera battery in the room charging....called later in the day and they shipped it promptly!! I recommend this place..we were able to check in late, get a good night's sleep and have breakfast before hitting the road again. Seems like it would have been a nice place to linger had we more time.

Room Tip: Really love that the shipping of the battery was no big deal.....told them I would send reimbursemen...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank marinernut
Farmington, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

This place was my home for the Easter holiday weekend and it was great. The room was clean and spacious. The Inn is more that a typical b&b. There is a full dining room / restaurant and bar with excellent food. Very quaint and comfortable. The grounds are also very nice and quiet especially for being in a downtown area. I would stay here again and again!

• Stayed March 2013
Pembroke, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 25, 2012

If you are looking for an upscale, 5 star resort with olympic sized pool and stuffy atmosphere, keep looking. If you are looking for a charming Bed and Breakfast with exceptional, personable staff, this is the place to be in Rochester. We were searching for a venue for our wedding and fell in love with this place the moment we stepped on the grounds. Everyone from the owners, to the event coodinator, to the tavern staff were friendly and willing to do whatever we requested, including allowing our dog to be part of the wedding ceremony. The inn has many "outdated" features, such as old wallpaper, but only in an attempt to keep the original atmosphere and history of the mansions. Otherwise, the rooms are clean, bright and as described. There is a tavern on-site as well as entertainment throughout the year, so if you want peace and quiet, ask for a room away from the fun. The food was exceptional at the wedding, in the tavern and at the cafe in the carriage house. Would have another event here as well as a romantic dinner/get away.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2012

The meal was scolops, shrimp and broccoli alfreado fine dining.
The bartender was funny and professional. The trivia questions were shared by the patrons, fun atmosphere not stuffy. I'd recommend a visit or a stay. The breakfast was great also.

• Stayed April 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
The Anchorage Inn - Rochester
Lake Shore Farm
Lake Shore Farm
#1 of 1 in Northwood
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel

Been to The Governor's Inn? Share your experiences!