“Hit or miss sometimes...but when it's good, it's AMAZING”

The Tuckaway Tavern and Butchery
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Raymond
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a Modern American Steakhouse with an Award-Winning Butchery and Craft Beer Store Attached... We showcase top quality meats, house-crafted sausages and meats, locally made products and Hundreds of New England Crafted beers along with several other Domestice specialties...
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was afraid that this place was going to go out like its predecessor, which started out just as strong but faded quickly with poor service and substandard food. Fortunately, the Tuckaway has been open for quite some time now, and they are still going strong.

The everyday menu leans toward the huge and greasy. Lots of fried foods. Huge portions. They start you off with a basket of their pita chips, which is nice. They have a small selection of appetizers. The pretzels with beer cheese and mustard sauce is my favorite, but sometimes it is obvious that the pretzels have been microwaved and not baked.

I think they should add more "plain" foods to the menu for those who are less adventurous. I'd love to see a plain old grilled chicken sandwich on the menu. Making changes to the current offerings is a painful process and usually results in at least one "do-over."

Sometimes the place is just too crowded, and the staff gets severely overworked. You can tell they're tired and just aren't enjoying themselves. But when you time it just right, they are downright delightful. Efficient and fast. I try to aim for in-between meals, which works well because they give you enough to cover two meals. We call it "linner" -- lunch/dinner.

The restaurant is LOUD. There's no getting around it. Unless you are in one of the very scarce booths, you can't hear a word anybody says. I'd love to see the back room used as a "quieter" area for families.

The place is always clean. I never feel icky there.

The shop part of the restaurant is an awesome place, too. The people who work there are super knowledgeable and very friendly.

1  Thank daynasu

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Like the title says these meals are large. I had the steak tips which are one full pound and smashed potatoes I couldn't finish them. Two people I was with had the lobster Mac and cheese and it comes in a boat bowl both could not finish it. The chips and dip the give you are awesome. This place should not be missed.

1  Thank BobA54
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Went with a group of four. This was our first visit, so we spent a little time drooling over the butchery selections. Chicken cordon blue sausage? Wild blueberry breakfast sausage? Yum. While we were going to be dining past when the shop closed (8pm), they did offer to stick our order in their cooler until we came out. Nice service.

We had a 20 minute wait around 6:30 on a Saturday night. That time estimate was pretty accurate. We didn't explore the restaurant's seating too much, but were walked through the bar area to a rear area. On our way, we noticed a little three-table triangle of seating (no one was there), with an LCD screen over one of the tables. When we left, the tables were occupied, and the screen was displaying a live shot of the kitchen area. Interesting.

For apps, we got the Pretzels and Cheese. Yes. And was very yummy. Four large, warm and salty (ballpark style) pretzel 'logs' served with two dipping sauces - a tangy mustard, and a creamy white cheese sauce. Both were equally good. $8.

We also got the Rooster Balls ($8). These are probably best described as a gourmet version of the popular party dish - buffalo chicken dip - which is rolled into balls and deep-fried. Served with a couple of sauces drizzled on the serving dish. Six pieces - decent size. Another very good app.

Regarding the meals, I'm only commenting on my and my spouse's entrees... She ordered the Boneless Ribeye ($20), but despite requesting a rare to medium-rare steak, hers came out overdone - more towards medium-well. She wasn't wowed by it - average. She did enjoy her tomato basil mozzarella side dish.

I ordered the Two Pigs and a Cow burger (beef patty with pulled pork, bacon, and cheddar). I liked this a lot. Good sweet pulled pork and a fair amount of it. Bacon was good was well. Though again, my medium-rare burger was medium. My coleslaw was rather bland. ($9.75)

For dessert, we got a ridiculously good Bloo Balls: fried blueberry cheesecake sitting on a blueberry jam, with blueberry ice cream and homemade whipped cream ($8). Nice finish.

Setting was clean and well-lit, but a bit loud. Service was good. Menu was not accurate in regards to beer selection. Would suggest descriptions on the beers as well. With so many microbrews on the market, just stating the brewery name doesn't always cut it. Would also like to see a larger beer selection in both the restaurant and butchery shop.

Will return and would recommend.

1  Thank NHAnimator
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I were coming home from our summer home in Meredith and decided to stop here for dinner.
The service was excellent!! The food was great as well, I got the Sunday special of prime rib. My husband got the award winning steak tips. Everything was outstanding!!
We plan on making this a regular stop on our way home!!!

1  Thank Tracy B
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Just came back from Tuckaway Tavern for dinner. My wife had driven by this place and saw that it won a Best of NH award for newest restaurant so we thought we'd give it a try. The space is open and looks great. Sort of reminds me of When Pigs Fly Pizzeria in decor and a menu similar to The Holy Grail in Epping. Burgers, sandwiches, steaks, etc. Good beer selection and range of pub food.

Both my wife and I ordered a burger. I got a regular Tuckaway burger with cheddar cheese and she got a Black and Blue burger which was a seasoned patty topped with blue cheese and bacon.

Prior to our meal they brought out a basket of pita and potato chips (both seemed to be homemade). Then they brought out the burgers. They were huge. Easily a 1/2 lb of meat each, probably more. My burger was cooked to order (medium rare in my case) and good, but my wife's burger was much better having both great flavor in the patty and the toppings. The handout fries were very good as well.

After dinner, we ordered the Almost Better Than ... Cake. This was a huge slice of rich German cake topped with whipped cream, butterscotch syrup and heath bar pieces. Very big and very tasty.

If I had a complaint it would actually be that the portions were too big. I only ate half the burger, fries, and cake and I felt completely stuffed. Granted I'm not the biggest eater, but still I hate wasting that much food.

We will definitely be going back, but before we do I'll be sure to work up a huge appetite.

1  Thank Enjoy_NH

Been to The Tuckaway Tavern and Butchery? Share your experiences!