“Nice for a Courtyard, but got bug bites”

Courtyard Portsmouth
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed March 7, 2007

We stayed at this Courtyard last month as part of a Marriott promotion giving us a free night. The hotel itself is nicer than most Courtyards I've been to. It has a full-service restaurant and bar in the lobby and you can get free coffee and tea 24 hours a day.

Our room was clean and comfortable, no complaints there, but when I woke up in the morning I had huge red welts all over my leg--and they were itchy. I showed them to my sister, who is a nurse, a few days after we got home and she said they looked like they were from bed bugs! It took about 3 weeks for the bites to heal!

I am still kind of grossed out about the whole thing. No matter where you stay, be sure to check the mattress before getting into the bed!

Stayed: March 2007
5  Thank emilienoelle

Reviewed July 4, 2006

I was impressed. The dining area and foyer were nicer than I expected, it seems more than just a budget marriott because they have rooms for special functions. The room was very clean, elevator was quick. Breakfast is NOT included though, which I usually expect in a Marriott chain.

• Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank trvvlngkim
Reviewed March 14, 2006

I just came back from business trip and stayed at Courtyard Marriott for 5 days. Actually this is 3rd times I stayed with this hotel.

First 2 times were decent stays. Stuff are friendly and helpful. I asked for a free toothpaste/toothbrush. Had a king size suite, no fridge. Bed is comfy. Shower room is up to date, clean and working okay. Free Newsday every morning. Free coffee/tea 24hr at lobby. Gym room is small, about 4 machines. Jaccuzzi is nice. Pool is a little bit cold but its clean with towels provided.

However I had some problems with my 3rd stay. First my room was on 4th, which is so close to the highway I95. Very annoying and noisy. You can hear the trucks plowing on I-95. I have to turn on the heat to cancel out the noise. Worst of all, the door won't lock on the 3rd night. In the morning it was fine, but after I came back from work I can't lock it. It must have been not working after the maid cleaned up my room. Luckily my belongings stayed.

The manager immediately move me to another room. But it was a smoking room. So I was moved again, but to a two twin size bed room. Do I need 2 beds just for me?

So, when you checked in, request room off highway. Stay away from breakfast not because the food is bad, but it was expensive. $10 for breakfast, give me a break.

This hotel is pricy compare to Hampton Inn, which has free breakfast.

Overall, average hotel.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 31, 2005

The staff was very good. The onsite restaurant was OK, but the service was slow.

The beds are extremely uncomfortable! They are hard and during our two-night stay we woke-up with backache both mornings. Although, Marriott noted that they are in the process of updating there bedding –

• Stayed: December 2005
2  Thank The-swindy
NJ
Reviewed June 4, 2005

I stayed at the Courtyard for business, however I traveled with my husband and young child. The staff was helpful and knowledgeable - the requested crib was in the room and the refrigerator was very convenient. The heated pool and whirlpool were enjoyable and clean. The location was close to downtown and the room was clean and spacious. The king sized bed was comfortable. The only thing that would have made the stay better would be a free breakfast, even continental fare.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 25, 2005

I usually stay in a Fairfield Inn on travel, but the Fairfield Inn Portsmouth got such bad reviews in TripAdvisor I wasn't going to go near that place. I was a little reluctant to give Marriott more business (and more money) by upgrading to the Courtyard, but after a pretty careful search of the available options, this one seemed to be the best.

Things to appreciate about this hotel:
Friendly front desk staff
True king size bed
Quiet (although you may want to make sure you're not facing the highway)
Fridge in room
High speed internet access

Things which could be better:
No free breakfast
Price
Carpet seemed a little tired -- could use new carpet in rooms

Overall, it was a fine hotel and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank biztravel1
Reviewed October 23, 2004

Stayed here over Labor Day weekend. Hotel was overpriced and was dirty. There were crumbs in the bed and bugs in the room. We checked out after being there an hour. The front desk refused to send someone to our room to clean and they were rude.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member