“Great place for a quick overnight”

Courtyard Portsmouth
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am headed to this hotel for the 3rd year in a row this weekend. I stay there when I do an MS walk. It is a mile from beautiful downtown. Great highway access and the price is very reasonable. Rooms are average, but staff and bar area are great. This is not the place to stay if you desire a nice view from your window! Parking lot and highway are it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Moderate sized room just outside Portsmouth. Clean bathroom but water could have been hotter. Comfy double beds. Nice amenities: fridge, microwave, safe in room. Mew HD TV and free Wi-Fi. Modern looking lobby with full bar. Wish they had a complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 29, 2013

recenlty stay on a trip to the portsmouth area

as this was my first time at this hotel ,having stayed at numerous other ones in the areas

would definitely come back

very friendly staff,hotel was very attractive and the room was great

it certainly looked like the rooms were well cared for and housekeeping was on its toes

need an extra blanket and asked and was there shortly

couretous staff

close to town,mall and 95 very convienent

would stay again no problem

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kga651
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I wanted to make sure my girl friends 21 first birthday was special i got 10 of our freinds together and we came up with the idea to stay at this hotel because of the bar and because they have a great pool and hotutb. But I asked sense it was her birthday if we could get a suit upgrade they said first we are not busy so most likely called again the morning of the event and still not busy but said we could not have it. I looked online they had 2 they could sell. I asked for a room next to our room they told me the wrong price. I called marriott to fix all this and told them my story. They got me a free upgrade by going to the hr manager who was very nice and understood and said sorry. Made me feel alot better. We had a great time and she loved her birthday. There front desk team needs tounderstand guest need and dont be rude when i call more then once to confirm stuff. One girl was very rude at the front desk. But i would come back

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alexander T
Reviewed February 22, 2013

While looking at TripAdvisor for reviews of hotels in Portsmouth NH, Courtyard by Marriott Portsmouth came up. We decided this was where we'd stay and are happy for it. Very friendly staff, nice room, indoor pool and workout room. Reasonably priced and 10 minutes drive to downtown Portsmouth. The beds are very comfortable and shampoo/soap, etc. are great. Also convenient up the road was a large supermarket (Market Basket) which we visited. I'd definitely stay here the next time we're coming to visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times. The last time was in October 2012. We have always liked this hotel, but this time was different. Check-in took a long time, we sat down for a while waiting our turn. We requested a crib. When we got to our room it wasn't there. I had to call two or three times for the crib. My baby needed to go to sleep. Finally I went to the front desk, and was told the bedding for the crib was being washed, so that's why it was taking so long. They have redone some of their rooms, but apparently not all. We had a nice modern room the year before, but our room this time was dated.
I always like to enjoy the pool and whirlpool at hotels. As the years have gone by I have seen this pool room go downhill and not much is done about it. It just feels dirty and old. It used to be really nice years ago, but these things need to be cared for to stay that way. This pool room obviously needs attention.
I won't go to this hotel again until I hear it is making improvements. It's too bad a nice place is going downhill.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room. If highway traffic bothers you, ask for a room away from the front...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Laura B
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Overall, our one-night stay at the Courtyard Marriott in Portsmouth, NH was enjoyable. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. We had a room with a king size bed on the 4th floor. It was spacious, attractive, well furnished, had a good -size refrigerator, and a microwave oven. The bed was comfortable, and we had a nice flat-panel TV. On the negative side, the wi-fi was weak to the point of useless. The continental breakfast was not free, but required a surcharge. That seemed excessive, given the price of the room. But my biggest complaint was the noise. In spite of being on the 4th floor, we heard considerable traffic noise, probably from I-95 nearby. Also, the heater came on rather loudly and woke me several times during the night. It was December, so the heat came on frequently. I would definitely use this hotel again though, as it was economical and in a good location for our purposes and of overall good quality.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple