Courtyard Portsmouth
$140
$189
Ale House Inn(Portsmouth)
$199
Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$193
$180
  • Pool
$151
$146
Agoda.com
The Hotel Portsmouth(Portsmouth)
$182
All reviewsmarriott courtyardoff the highwayfree shuttleshuttle serviceice machinefitness centerdecent hotela nice place to staynew hampshirebed was very comfortablethird floorparking lotking roomkittery outletsfeliciadowntownrefrigerator
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Trying to be brief to conserve words: I awoke to use the restroom to find bugs crawling out from behind the mirror. I squished them against the wall. I searched the bed and found casings behind the headboard. At that point the front desk was apologetic and said they would send our clothes to the cleaners, not to worry,they would handle everything. They would have a new room for us when we returned from our appointments. They said the manager would be in later in the day, until then they did not want to come up to the room to see. I described exactly where to find everything - bugs and casings. Feeling assured everything was being taken care of we left for our full day meetings. After hours of not hearing anything I called and spoke to the manager who said he did not see anything in the room except the squished bug. He said he would call for Orkin but the hotel would not clean our clothes despite what the man had said earlier. He said he already repremanded the man who told us they would earlier. I explained my main concern is identifying the bugs and casings so as not to bring a problem home. 8 hours later I finally hear from him again. Orkin had found nothing. I said how can they have found nothing when I told you where the casings were and you saw the squished bug? He said he had done everything he was responsible for. Orkin and he had also checked our new room. I said I wanted to show him the casings and he said I was not allowed back in that room. He said it was also reserved for another guest that evening. I said I would speak with the guest of the room to help ID these bugs. He said there would be repercussions if I did.
We took the front desk lady with us to inspect our new rooms. We found bugs and casings and took pictures. She apologized. I said I wanted them to find another hotel for us- the only one they could find was triple the cost.
From there the manager was unwilling to do anything further. He said he had done everything required of him. I discussed the most important thing to me was identifying the bugs and casings for the protection of my family. He kept going back to the story that Orkin had found nothing. I spoke to the owner, ocean properties, of the hotel. He quietly listened to my story and then said he had spent enough time listening to me and that was that. My main anger was not having identification of the bugs. Being prudent, we had to treat our bags as contmainated with bed bugs. This required us to pay alot for dry cleaning. What didn't need dry cleaning we washed and dried- shrinking some sweaters. I even dried our shoes in the dryer.
i am a very reasonable person and was willing to hold off on freaking out but i needed identification of the bugs and casings! I felt the hotel manager put himself into the situation of being a liar or ignorant...which is it?
The hotel was also filthy. The hot tub had floaties for days. The floor around the pool wasn't cleaned the whole time we were there. The elevator floor wasn't vaccumed but once...and there was mold on the walls of our 3rd room. Don't stay here! I'd post more pix if it would let me.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank vetsus
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here after shopping in Kittery Me. I did read the reviews ahead of time so did not expect a five star but I also did not expect such a bad nights sleep.

The hotel location was a problem, it is right off the main highway and very close to the road. This means I heard every car that went past and my windows were closed. There was lots of traffic until late in the evening so I did not get much sleep. The safe in the room also had some type of clock in it and clicked all night long, constaint clicking made it difficult to sleep. I was in room 333 so am not sure if the safes in all rooms are this bad

the lobby was fine but there really is no service at the bar. We asked the front desk when we checked in what time the lounge opened and they said 5pm. We were pleased because we weere planning on having a cocktail before we went for dinner but when we got to the lounge there was a woman behind the bar who said there was no service because she was training the bartender and they would not be done until 7PM. I could not believe she did not find that rude. Who trains their staff at the bar during the height of dinner time. It she was going to do that it should have been done before lounge hours. It was really inconsiderate and explains some of the poor reviews.

Rooms - old and in bad need of upgrades. The upholstered furniture was uninviting. I was reluctant to put any of my clothing on it and decided not to unpack, it just felt dirty.

The bed was ok but the spread looked overused and worn out - like a motel (gross).

Needless to say we will not go back here and knowing this is a Marriott, I suggest Marriott either update this place or sell it and remove their name.

Room Tip: Find a nicer place
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovevtovacation
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This Courtyard must be one of the older ones - in a good way - cast iron bath, marble tiles throughout the bathroom - but it is kept in very good condition - in the rooms and in the common areas. It is a little out of the way across the Interstate from downtown Portsmouth, so not walking distance, but it's only 5 minutes by car or 10 minutes by bike. Better than an average chain hotel. $139 per night in early November (excluding breakfast - go to Friendly Toast in Portsmouth proper!).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

One person at the bar during happy hour. Took twenty minutes to get a draft beer. Family shows up and we order dinner. Half hour later dinner comes out and my wife's meal didn't get ordered. Had to go back to the bar and stand there for ten minutes to get another beer. Did I mention one other person sitting at the bar?

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank smackallica
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is a fairly typical Courtyard. Very clean. It is close to 95, but not in walking distancte at all to the bar/restaurant area of downtown Portsmouth.

Note, there is no free breakfast. They offer a hot breakfast for something like $9.99. I didn't use that though. The small bar looks nice, although again I didn't use that either.

Also, there was no wired internet available in my room. WiFi only.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business