“Comfortable and clean.”

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Vermont
“Comfortable and clean.”
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We were here during the Christmas 2010 blizzard. The beds were very comfortable, the bedding immaculate. The staff was friendly and responsive. Our request for a fridge was quickly granted (at no charge). The best thing, though, was the pool. The water was blissfully warm. What fun to swim in tropical water while watching the storm rage through the big windows. Not a scenic spot (our view was a traffic circle), but convenient for an overnight stop.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CMC1000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Webster
Reviewed January 3, 2011

I was torn about staying here - reviews were somewhat mixed and I've learned to pay attention to reviews. I finally decided to give this place a try, pay a little more than I'm used to, and see if the quality was any better than what I normally get. I was not disappointed.

First, I checked closely for bed bugs and found none. The room was very clean and the bedding was spotless. The hotel is obviously older and while it is not elegant, the quality was an upgrade from my recent experiences - and that is all that mattered to me.

Nice lounge, friendly, efficient staff, comfortable all around. So, if you're looking for clean and reasonable, you will be quite happy here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cbbax14
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed October 3, 2010

I woke up around 1:00 a.m. to use the bathroom, and when I got back in bed I noticed a few small bugs on the sheets. When I looked closer, I found several more all over my bed and even more on the other bed in the room. They were crawling all over the pillows and sheets! We reported this to the front desk and the woman came up with a single set of extra sheets (there were 2 beds), as if that would take care of the problem. Right away she said, "They're not bed bugs," and repeated that a couple of times, although we later found them on Google images and they were DEFINITELY bed bugs (plus I woke up the next morning covered in bites). The woman just kept saying, "That's so weird," when it was more than weird, it was disgusting! She told us that all she could do was change the sheets because they were booked up. She said she didn't have any extra comforters or pillows, which is ridiculous for a hotel. After taking all the bedding off both beds, she pulled them on the floor through the carpeted hallway and into the elevator, probably spreading the bugs as she went. We decided to leave and find another hotel, but we had to ASK for a refund because she didn't offer that to us or offer to find us a room at another hotel. She actually told us that all the hotels "in the area" were sold out, and somehow knew this from looking in some binder. When we asked for a phone book, she decided to finally call a hotel for us and, lo and behold, it had 19 rooms available. It was only 2 miles away, which I would consider to be "in the area." She basically didn't do ANYTHING to help us until we asked. We ended up staying at the Comfort Inn, where Mike at the front desk was super understanding and even gave us the discounted rate we had received at the Holiday Inn. And apologized for how we had been treated there!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank SuziFraser
tpaptpap, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, February 2, 2011
We take the health and safety of our guests very seriously at the Holiday Inn Portsmouth and cleanliness is of the utmost importance to us. We regularly inspect our guest rooms to make sure they meet our very high standards of excellence. Our hotel does not have a bed bug issue. We have our rooms inspected on a quarterly basis with a certified Pest Control company. Our most recent inspection occurred in October 2010 and no pests were found at that time.
We are proud of our efforts in this area. Our brand is consistently rated at the top
of full service hotels in national customer satisfaction rankings and are reflected
in the loyalty of the returning guests to our hotel and our brand.
New York
Reviewed October 2, 2010

My sister and I meet in New Hampshire for a couple of days every year to visit, catch up, laugh, shop and generally reconnect. For several years our hotel of choice has been the Holiday Inn. It's a perfect location for our adventures, and for shopping. In the past we have enjoyed the restaurant, the happy hour, the comfortable rooms, and the genial staff.
We have usually selected the package that includes breakfast.

This year upon check-in we were each presented with a ticket for one cocktail/wine in the bar. This is a change. We like to watch a movie in the room after dinner, laugh, get comfortable, etc. When we attempted to find out what movies were playing we couldn't get to the menu. Long story short, our room, 522, was the only room in the hotel that was not connected to the system, only to the cable. I called down to the desk and suggested that two glasses of wine would make us happy with reruns of House and Law and Order, and they were happy to do this for us.

We ate in the bar. It was ok. Slow kitchen. Friendly and overworked lady at the bar. (And yes, we tipped on the wine.)

At breakfast the second morning I asked for no bacon with the Bacon and Tomato Eggs Benedict. No problem, I was assured. Well, problem. I dug out about four pieces of bacon. I mentioned this to our server who offered no apology.

The folks at the desk are friendly. However, we were disappointed with our experience. Not at all impressed with the restaurant. We ate at a local restaurant the second evening.

We have already started to investigate alternative hotels for our next stay. Too bad. We've always enjoyed our experience at this hotel, but not this time.

I will recommend this hotel but for business only, not for an important sister getaway.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank wmsaunt
woodstock, ct
Reviewed September 12, 2010

very pleased with this one.... the bathroom was a bit tight but we had plenty of hot water and the plumbing looked to be in good shape... request the back side of the hotel, upper floor, and you'll have a nice quiet, southern exposure looking at trees... comfortable king size bed and excellent housekeeping... good location, 5 minutes by car to market square....plenty of room to do yoga in!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Was a little difficult to find the entrance, but the front desk staff was friendly and efficient. Room was large enough and beds were clean and comfortable. The restaurant staff was very slow in waiting on us and didn't come around to check on us or refill drinks. Had to get up and find someone to bring our check. Convenient to Boston Logan for early morning flight.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2010

After reading the reviews on this site I was very worried after booking through Priceline.
We had a room on the second floor and we were very pleased. The beds were new..(tags still on them )I checked them for evidence of bed bugs and I saw nothing. They were super comfortable too. We had a great stay and were pleased with the free kids meals. I'd stay here again without question. The tvs are older and could use some updating, but that didn't affect a good nights rest.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family