“Air Conditioning is Lacking, Otherwise a Nice Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Portsmouth

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Boston
“Air Conditioning is Lacking, Otherwise a Nice Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wanted to stay in the center of town but was unable to. Was pleasantly surprised that it was a very short ride into town and we by-passed the Exit 7 traffic. The hotel is is very clean and looks recently renovated. The lounge and dining area are very modern looking. The menu prices seem responsible and there is a breakfast buffet for $11.95 or $12.95 - not sure if that includes beverage or not.

We stayed on the 5th floor and had a King-Sized bed. The room seemed a little small, but for one or two nights it is fine. The bed was very comfortable and the furnishings were fairly new looking.

My only complaint is the air conditioning. It has been in the 90's for the past few days and when we entered the room it was warm and the A/C was running. The thermostat was set to 50 and the temperature was in the low 70's. I thought the A/C was recently turned on. Too make a long story short, the temperature range of the thermostat read 72 (A/C off) to 74 (A/C on). I was thinking that the hotel was trying to save $$ by regulating their thermostats. Since we were there just the one night, I did not call the front desk.The A/C i s the reason I am giving the hotel an average rating and the room a poor rating.

Room Tip: 5th floor may have an issue with A/C keeping the rooms comfortable in the summer time.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear vacationshark ,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is wonderful to know you appreciated the condition and the cleanliness of our property. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with your room accommodation and the air conditioner. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Clean rooms, great staff, great location for exploring the NE coast of that area, or the inland towns. Although the hotel is located next to I-95, our room was on the other side of the building, and so we had not trouble with noise and such.

Room Tip: Take a room on the side opposite of the freeway.
1 Thank KenandSharon
Wallingford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend away while visiting Portsmouth and York, ME. The location is great, only about a 5 minute ride to downtown, and only about 15 minutes across to York. Right next door is a The Roundabout Diner, which was excellent for breakfast and very convenient. The free coffee down in the lobby in the morning was nice, and the hotel is nicely updated overall. But the only downside to this hotel is that our room had a weird odor to it. We had to open the window to try and air it out.

2 Thank ChariseCoelho
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear ChariseCoelho,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Thank you for pointing out how convenient our location is to local attractions and I am happy that you found our hotel to be nicely updated.

I am sorry to hear your issue with your room, nevertheless, I am still pleased that you were satisfied with your stay with us. We would like to express our sincerest gratitude for your comments which allow us to confirm that our efforts for the well-being of our guests have been met

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Dhan M
Rome, NY, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Hotel is acceptable … nothing spectacular, but certainly acceptable. Restaurant isn’t much, but there are plenty of good places nearby to eat. If you are looking for seafood Warren’s is the place. Lounge is large and probably the best feature the hotel has. Do not …. Let me repeat that … DO NOT take a room on the 6th floor. The elevator only goes to the 5th floor! I know it sounds odd (and it is odd … very odd) but it’s true.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room on the 6th floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank OldBull2
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Robert A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. I am glad that you liked our lounge.

However, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience our elevator has caused you. Nevertheless, I am pleased that you had a satisfying stay with us and our service and amenities somewhat met your expectations.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you again.

Dhan M
Nashua, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here Friday and Sat night. It was a special occasion and I had flowers sent to my room prior to my arrival. They were placed beautifully in my room and another package was held for me at the desk. Everything went smooth. I recieved nice help getting a taxi to go to Dinner Saturday night.. Entire stay was great. I ate Dinner in the Lounce area on Friday. They re started the fire place for us. Food was good and reasonably priced. I suggest the Peanut butter pie for dessert.

We had a nice king bed room. Plenty of space. Internet worked fine. Chair was comforatable.

The pool was not what I expected, but everything else was outsanding. It starts with the staff and it shows they care.

The hotel is close enough to walk to downtown and we did so, and saw some of Market Square day.

Very good experieince.

Bob

Room Tip: 3rd and 5th floors have ice.
North Haverhill, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here at a great price for $40 less than normal rates overnight this past week. The location was convenient to most everything. The desk staff was very helpful and courteous and had the room available before noon for check-in. Although it seems I got the cut rate room due to location next to the stairwell, it was very quiet and comfortable. The rooms had been refurbished it seems with flat screen tv, plush bedding, new carpeting and upgraded bathrooms to a point. Nice pool although I didn't use it or the restaurant since choices in the area were a plenty. Would recommend it at the price I paid. Yes, they have free wifi too.

Room Tip: Even number rooms are on back side of hotel and quieter. Ask if the room is near an elevator or sta...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Pace, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Big kudos for Holiday Inn in Portsmouth, NH. Made me right at home the first night of my stay and with very friendly front desk. Shannon and Cash always had to chat to make small talk and give pointers where you could get dinner always from the hotel, but you can a great meal in the in house restaurant. I recommend the fish and chips, which served hot and almost more then I could eat, but I finish all it, which I had it served in the bar where I could watch the games. I had a King Room which was very clean and comfortable. I had only few nights stay, but I will stay there again on my way home after I finish my assignment.

Room Tip: All rooms are non-smoking, if you are a smoker, just ask to be next to elevator it makes easy to go...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo