“Good price, good location, weird smell.”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend away while visiting Portsmouth and York, ME. The location is great, only about a 5 minute ride to downtown, and only about 15 minutes across to York. Right next door is a The Roundabout Diner, which was excellent for breakfast and very convenient. The free coffee down in the lobby in the morning was nice, and the hotel is nicely updated overall. But the only downside to this hotel is that our room had a weird odor to it. We had to open the window to try and air it out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChariseCoelho
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear ChariseCoelho,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Thank you for pointing out how convenient our location is to local attractions and I am happy that you found our hotel to be nicely updated.

I am sorry to hear your issue with your room, nevertheless, I am still pleased that you were satisfied with your stay with us. We would like to express our sincerest gratitude for your comments which allow us to confirm that our efforts for the well-being of our guests have been met

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Dhan M

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Portsmouth

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Hotel is acceptable … nothing spectacular, but certainly acceptable. Restaurant isn’t much, but there are plenty of good places nearby to eat. If you are looking for seafood Warren’s is the place. Lounge is large and probably the best feature the hotel has. Do not …. Let me repeat that … DO NOT take a room on the 6th floor. The elevator only goes to the 5th floor! I know it sounds odd (and it is odd … very odd) but it’s true.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room on the 6th floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank OldBull2
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear Robert A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. I am glad that you liked our lounge.

However, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience our elevator has caused you. Nevertheless, I am pleased that you had a satisfying stay with us and our service and amenities somewhat met your expectations.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you again.

Dhan M

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here Friday and Sat night. It was a special occasion and I had flowers sent to my room prior to my arrival. They were placed beautifully in my room and another package was held for me at the desk. Everything went smooth. I recieved nice help getting a taxi to go to Dinner Saturday night.. Entire stay was great. I ate Dinner in the Lounce area on Friday. They re started the fire place for us. Food was good and reasonably priced. I suggest the Peanut butter pie for dessert.

We had a nice king bed room. Plenty of space. Internet worked fine. Chair was comforatable.

The pool was not what I expected, but everything else was outsanding. It starts with the staff and it shows they care.

The hotel is close enough to walk to downtown and we did so, and saw some of Market Square day.

Very good experieince.

Bob

Room Tip: 3rd and 5th floors have ice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here at a great price for $40 less than normal rates overnight this past week. The location was convenient to most everything. The desk staff was very helpful and courteous and had the room available before noon for check-in. Although it seems I got the cut rate room due to location next to the stairwell, it was very quiet and comfortable. The rooms had been refurbished it seems with flat screen tv, plush bedding, new carpeting and upgraded bathrooms to a point. Nice pool although I didn't use it or the restaurant since choices in the area were a plenty. Would recommend it at the price I paid. Yes, they have free wifi too.

Room Tip: Even number rooms are on back side of hotel and quieter. Ask if the room is near an elevator or sta...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Big kudos for Holiday Inn in Portsmouth, NH. Made me right at home the first night of my stay and with very friendly front desk. Shannon and Cash always had to chat to make small talk and give pointers where you could get dinner always from the hotel, but you can a great meal in the in house restaurant. I recommend the fish and chips, which served hot and almost more then I could eat, but I finish all it, which I had it served in the bar where I could watch the games. I had a King Room which was very clean and comfortable. I had only few nights stay, but I will stay there again on my way home after I finish my assignment.

Room Tip: All rooms are non-smoking, if you are a smoker, just ask to be next to elevator it makes easy to go...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We happened to book the Holiday Inn when we went onto a site that boasts,"Get a 3 star hotel for a 2 star price". The lobby is new and attractive and the entire hotel seemed to be clean and updated. We were quite happy when we arrived at our room on the quiet even numbered side of the building. It was clean but the sheer curtain on the large window was torn. We unpacked and decided to go to the pool which is reached by going through the lowest level of the building. The pool water was cloudy -and very uninviting,so we decided we would just sit a while. Was the filter working? The furniture in this area was okay-not perfect-but okay. The floor around the pool was dirty,with what appeared to be dead brown bugs(or somekind of leaves?) here and there. We expected a good pool at a Holiday Inn and were very unhappy and told the desk clerk the next day when we checked out. She promised to get housekeeping to attend to the ripped curtain but made no mention of cleaning the pool area. The staff that we encountered ,in the lounge and around the hotel in general were all cordial, gracious and knowledgeable.. Lots of care has been put into maintaining the main hotel with an attractive lounge and restaurant area ,as well the guest rooms and corridors. The cheap ,dirty and unattractive pool area looked like it was totally out of place at this hotel and was a big disappointment!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hicocamp
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Hicocamp,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate the compliments on our clean hotels. However, we do apologize the experience you had with the cleanliness of the pool was less than satisfactory. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Again, we do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope that the next time you come through, you give us another chance to provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N

Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was clean and comfortable, and you get 2 free drink coupons when you check in, to use at the bar! It's a bit of a hike to downtown, but a cheap cab ride. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013