“Wasn't worth the discounted rate (priceline)”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Dieppe, Canada
“Wasn't worth the discounted rate (priceline)”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We used priceline.com and "named our own price", it was about 50% cheaper than the hotel's rate. Was not worth it.

Middle of June, still a bit cool outside/in room--turned on the heat in the room, just blew cold air. Asked the front desk about the heat, was told "the heat is turned off, best to turn off the system, you "might" get some warmth that way".

Great location, nicely done lobby, rooms were okay. TV hadn't been upgraded (yet), reception was horrible to watch game 7 Stanley Cup final.

Traffic outside the hotel (traffic circle) created alot of noise--could hear traffic the whole time we were there (night and day).

Room Tip: name your own price is a must (online)
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I have stayed at a lot of hotels and find this one to have an outstanding staff of dedicated people, that go above and beyond to make your stay most enjoyable. Also if you get a chance have dinner in the restaurant. They have a great menu that uses local fresh vegetables, seafood and made to order meals. Kudos!!!

Room Tip: They have a few suites on the top floor just ask
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
NH
Reviewed June 7, 2011

The hotel room was big and cozy. I didn't know a bed could be that comfortable or sheets that soft - especially so at a hotel. I LOVE that they offer firm and soft pillow options. Rarely do I stay at a hotel with comfortable pillows. Yes, the bathroom is quite tiny, but that's not a hugely negative thing for me - how much of the trip are you spending in the bathroom anyways? They have wonderful bath & body shampoos/lotions and nice soap. I had a corporate discount which made things even better. Loved having a King size bed. Plenty of shopping and dining opportunities in the area. Roundabout diner next door has easy convenience for dining.

Room Tip: UNH students, parent or Alum get a discount.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Covington, Georgia
Reviewed May 26, 2011

An older hotel where staff goes out of their way to make things perfect. Especially the evening shift lady. She makes it happen. From changing rooms to getting refrigerators replaced. This is the third week in a row I've stayed here and will keep returning because I feel welcome and valued.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
New London, Connecticut
Reviewed May 20, 2011

As far as the hotel itself, I have minimal complaints. The bathroom was way to small. I couldn't even sit properly on the toilet without my knees hitting the bathroom door. However, everything was clean and to me, that is most important. All that being said, I am a platinum priority club member and was not treated as such. There were no upgrades or refrigerators left to be had (although there should be one in every room-it is the 21st century). And, with no refrigerator, they still charged me 2dollars every morning to give my daughter some milk or cranberry juice. I know this sounds petty, but I spend an obscene amount of money to maintain platinum status and should get a few perks for it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Had to make last minute plans to Portsmouth, NH., My Husband, daughter and I have stayed at $300.00/per nite hotels in the past and for that price were not that happy with them. When we made the reservation on line, I couldn't help to think in my mind, OMG, I can only imagine what this room/hotel will look like. Well, when my sister and I walked to the lobby I was very surprised! When we went to our room, even more suprised, very clean, neat and updated! The room was just as nice if not better than hotel we like to stay in when we travel. Will stay at the Holiday Inn again! with more money in our pockets to enjoy our stay!

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Jennyb31
lebanon, nh
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We stayed here with our 5 children over April vacation and really enjoyed it! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The location was great for us with not more than a 10 minute drive to lots of outlet shopping, the mall, restaurants and Chuck E Cheese. We ate breakfast at the hotel and the service and food were outstanding plus they give you coupons to use in the restaurant which is helpful to save a little money. The lounge with complimentary cocktails was wonderful, the kids loved the pool (although we did wish it had a hot tub) and complimentary cookies in the evening were a big hit too. We had 2 rooms and while we did wish they could have been adjoining (we were told there were none available) it still worked out fine, they were clean and comfy enough. The diner next store has wonderful food as well-we'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family