“Excellent stay!”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Greenland, New Hampshire
“Excellent stay!”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed here for New Years Eve and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel was close to downtown, had clean rooms, and excellent customer service. We saved money by staying at Americas Best Inn and taking a taxi to the downtown restaurants. There were a couple of restaurants within walking distance but we chose to try Cafe Mediteraneo on Congress St. The cookies at the front desk were delicious. The front desk told us they are affiliated with the Holiday Inn next door and that we can even use their indoor pool! Americas Best had a fitness center and vending machines on the property which was very nice. I really liked the shampoos this hotel offered. Will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Third floor is very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hebrew first
Limerick, Maine
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We often stay at the hotel next door but decided to try America's Best because the price was significantly less. We were pleasantly surprised, the room we had was very comparable to the Holiday Inn or the Anchorage Inn, but for about $30 less. The room was very clean and the king sized bed was SO comfortable! But the main reason we will return is that the front desk clerk, Will (I think that was his name) was so professional, accommodating and friendly, something we definitely didn't feel like we got at the hotel next door. He talked about local attractions, restaurants and generally let us know he was there to make our stay a good one. Great job! We stay in Portsmouth once a week (cuts travel time between our jobs) and we are planning to always stay there! I would recommend it to anyone and I have!

Room Tip: Room 306 was a nice clean room, great tv, and very bright and sunny.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Christine P
BestInnSales, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Portsmouth, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us during your work week. We are so pleased to have your business, and your lovely review of our hotel. As we continue to improve our hotel, we are glad you recognized our newly upgraded mattresses (summer 2013), and all of our efforts to keep our guests happy. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Maine
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed one night during a snow storm since I was unable to get home. Parking lot didnt even look as though a plow had come through and I was glad I had been dropped off and was being picked up the next day. Check in was smooth and the front desk agent Becca or something along those lines was detailed about amenities (breakfast hours, wifi info etc.) she was professional and pleasant however seemed like just another day another dollar to her, I have previously read reviews on here and everyone talked leaps and bounds about Will, wish I may have had the pleasure of encountering him while I stayed there however I did not. Got to my room-worst location ever between the elevator and ice machine.

Now inside the room furniture looks as though its been there since they opened in 1985. Looking at the bed you could see dips where guest have slept (maybe time to update furniture and mattresses) but the bed seemed clean I didn't see any hairs or stains (which i looked for after some of my future comments were spotted). I'll just get into those now- old menus behind night stand, desk and nightstand spills and crusted items as if not even wiped down. Bathroom dried pee on under side of toilet seat, dried caked on soap in shower on soap holder. 2 soaps and 1 'conditioning shampoo' in the bathroom. stained bath towels. Hairdryer on wall in bathroom covered in dust. hallway light between bathroom and bedroom area looked as though it was gonna fall out of ceiling. heating went from cold to stifling to cold to stifling no real consistency with it. Mini fridge in room had spills and caked on gunk in it.

Wifi & tv worked well.

Upon checking out I was asked by the general manager how my stay was i mentioned that I was disappointed with it and he questioned why I explained (as above or atleast most of the items above) as I was waiting for my ride to pick me up and he made notes of what the concerns were. Said he had been the one inspecting rooms and he wasnt sure how that was missed. He knocked about $20 off my total bill which was very nice however it doesnt change my overall experience at the establishment.

I will NOT return and will NOT recommend. Might have been better off sleeping in my car.

Room Tip: suggest away from elevator and ice machine
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Fawn23
We would like to reassure you that as a team we were quite disappointed after reading this review. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss this with me further. In response to your comments, our mattresses were upgraded last summer and are continually upgraded, as needed so I do appreciate you letting us know that your mattress was uncomfortable, and we will look into your concern. Upon your next stay with us please request a room on the quiet side, which will reduce any highway noise and most likely assure you are not near the ice machine. We have a wonderful front desk team. Each and every front desk clerk cares deeply about our guests, and that comes across in our other Trip Advisor reviews. Unfortunately with the abundance of snow we have gotten this winter parking can be an issue at times due to the lack of space to put it. We have a very reputable local company that plows throughout each storm but as you have noticed the last couple of storms dropped a significant amount of snow in a short period of time, which makes it difficult to keep up with, but we do our best. Again, please contact me at your convenience. I would like to know what room you were in and look into this matter thoroughly. I only hope we can convince you to give us another try so we can prove to you that we really do live up to the other excellent comments we have on Trip Advisor. My email is sales@bestinnportsmouth.com. Thank you.
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 8, 2014

If you are looking for elegance this is not the place for you but if you are looking for a clean, comfortable room at a good price, America's Best Inn is what you want. The hotel is conveniently located at the Portsmouth traffic circle making it easy to get to the sites of Portsmouth as well as the outlets in Kittery, ME.

The staff was friendly and the room was comfortable and clean. The bed was a double and not a queen as advertised but it was just me staying there so I had plenty of room. The continental breakfast is just as advertised - coffee, juice, fruit and some bakery items - so if you want a heartier breakfast, I suggest the Roundabout Diner (one of my favorites) on the other side of the circle.

The wifi worked well and to my surprise there was a small fridge and a microwave in the room. I was happy with my stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Faith L
BestInnSales, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Portsmouth, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. I am interested in how you made your reservation at our hotel (direct or online booking through a third party) and where the queen room was advertised. If this was a direct reservation, I apologize on behalf of America's Best Inn that you were given a double instead of a queen and I will look further into this. I am glad you enjoyed the Roundabout Diner. They have excellent breakfast and dinner, as does the Holiday Inn's restaurant right next door. We hope to see you again soon.
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The service at the hotel was excellent. Very friendly people. The rooms were clean and comfortable and extremely reasonably priced. The hotel was conveniently located near main arteries. The only thing that could have been better was the breakfast service. It wasn't replenished leaving pretty much nothing except coffee

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
BestInnSales, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Portsmouth, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. America's Best Inn Portsmouth is proud to offer clean, spacious rooms in a very friendly environment. We hope to see you stay with us again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My boyfriend and I were in town for a wine and chocolate tasting at Attrezzi in downtown Portsmouth, and this was a very nice place for the night. The room was spacious and comfortable. There was only "conditioning shampoo" and two bars of hand soap left in the room to bathe with, so it is a good thing we came prepared! The breakfast was sub-par, but overall stay was good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com