Howard Johnson Portsmouth
AscendHotels
$140
$189
$109
Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$203
$180
Hampton.com
$159
  • Pool
The Hotel Portsmouth(Portsmouth)
$182
All reviewscontinental breakfastfront deskroom was cleancookiesbagelsoff the highwayliquor storeother hotelsplace to staybit datedbar harbortraffic circlenew hampshirehotel roomroundabout dinerstayed one nightthe breakfast area
Reviewed December 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night. It was a great hotel for the value. We got this hotel after using an express deal from a popular travel website. To say we were pleased was an understatement. First, the location of the hotel was great. Easy to find right off the interstate. Also, the hotel is in great proximity to historic downtown Portsmouth. It is literally a quick 2 minute drive to all of the quaint charms of downtown. As soon as we walked into the hotel we were greeted by friendly desk clerks. They took the time to ask us whether we had ever visited and then took the time to give us recommendations for places to eat and things to do. They were even baking cookies which made the lobby smell delicious! Our room was large. Although it was directly on the main road we didn't have any trouble with noise. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. In the morning we had the free breakfast and we thought the selection was nice. Toast, bagels, cereal, muffins and juice among the options we found. Overall, the location was great and the staff was very nice. We would absolutely stay here again if in the area. We have paid a great deal more for other rooms and not received half of the comfort we got here. It was quiet and perfect for our quick one night stay. Thanks so much for a great experience!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
BestInnSales, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

On behalf of our entire staff, we sincerely appreciate your time in writing such a wonderful review. We are so excited you enjoyed the fresh cookies at check in and our friendly front desk clerks. We are really glad you stayed in Portsmouth. It has so much to offer to everyone. The restaurants are all incredible, as are the activities such as Vintage Christmas, Candlelight Stroll, and the theatrical performances at the Music Hall and Seacoast Rep. We are glad you easily found us located just off of the interstate. We like to say we are the hotel that is halfway to everywhere. Easily accessible to all local highways such as the 95N & S, Route 1 and Route 16. We put a great amount of pride in our clean rooms and comfortable new mattresses. We are also glad you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. Please contact our sales coordinator at sales@bestinnportsmouth.com before your next visit to receive a welcome bag in your room as our personal thank you for such a nice review.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

The hotel and room actually where what the pictures showed. The lobby and our room was very clean - and I am saying very clean. Wish the mattress would have been newer and warmer blankets or light comforter would have made sleep cozy. But for the cost and the nice staff this place is better than others in the surrounding area. Let people know that the can use the pool across the street a the Holiday Inn. Only issue is that the shower faucet is very hard to pull and had to use two strong hands and then pull - please fix.

Room Tip: This isn't a big hotel - we got a room at the end of the hall on the corner - somewhat quiet but on the side of the freeway - maybe on the other side would be better.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
BestInnSales, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Our housekeeping department is absolutely excellent and each employee puts 110% into their work. We are sorry you did not like our new mattresses. We replaced our mattresses in the spring of this year as well as the new flat screen TVs and other great amenities you may have noticed. As for the shower faucet, if you could email us at sales@bestinnportsmouth as to what room number you were in, the information will be passed along to our maintenance technician who will take care of this matter promptly.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Hey needed a place close to I-95 on Sat night of Thanksgiving weekend as I understood there would probably be freezing rain/some snow further inland in Dover NH where I stayed at the Microtel Inn on Friday night. I was up in NH for the UNH-Lafayette College playoff game. I was impressed with ABI as it was a very good value. The appointments were excellent, hallways wide and the place really was spotless. I didn't partake in the continental breakfast as I wanted to try the nearby Roundabout Diner (very good!) so I cant comment on that as I just had coffe but people did seem to be liking it. Really a quiet, solid place for $75 a night. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: I was in room 206 not to far from stairwell & elevator and away from US1 so it was quiet there.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 3, 2013

While returning to New England after a long road trip, I was searching TripAdvisor from my iPhone for a place to stay for the night before the final stretch home. I came across the wonderful reviews of America's Best Inns & Suites. They did not disappoint! Though it is not within walking distance to the downtown, this is located in an easy spot right off the Interstate. Very little traffic noise, clean rooms, comfortable beds, good continental breakfast (including wheat english muffins!) along with a great price. Will greeted us on our arrival kept the cookies warm and was so thoughtful as to locate us on the first floor in a easy location knowing that we were weary from travel. He made us feel right at home. It was very much appreciated.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My girlfriend an I stayed here for a little weekend getaway. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the room was clean, and the location was great. I'd stay here again if I ever were to come back to Portsmouth. Also, my girlfriend left something behind which the staff located and helped make arrangements to send it back to her.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple