“Made you feel "at home" very accomodating”

Howard Johnson Portsmouth
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I came to stay at the Americas best inn in Portsmouth for 4 nights in November 2013. During my stay I was treated better than I recall being treated at any hotel. Let me explain. First, the staff is really friendly, and they have time to talk to you if you need something. When you arrive they greet you with.. get this.. cookies! And darn good cookies. There is a kitchen that has lots of seating room with a quality breakfast and a nice workout area as well.

While there isn't a pool, there is one at the sister hotel the Holiday inn which is just a minute walk away.

At the risk of this review boosting how much it will cost me to stay again, and I hope it does, I will continue.

Upon arriving into the hotel I was greeted by a courteous staff member who went out of their way to make me feel at home and take care of my needs - lets just leave it at that. The room service was outstanding and in the room the shampoo and the soaps are all natural and organic which is a huge plus for me.

I think I lost my room key about 5 times and they made me new ones and asked if there was anything else they could do to help. I found the waiting room with a computer quite nice to get work done and it was a quick taxi ride to the mall and the C&J bus stop.

Anyways, I will end by saying I truly haven't felt as well cared for at another hotel and will definitely recommend Americas best to my friends and family, and you, and will be coming back! Not to mention what a "bang for your buck"!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
BestInnSales, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

We are all so grateful for this wonderful review. We are glad you got to meet our excellent and friendly staff. Each staff member sincerely cares for each guest and will go out of their way to accommodate each and every one. We are also glad you enjoyed the fresh hot cookies in the lobby. Thank you again and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Excellent, new installations (2013). A good hotel, priced practically as a road motel, very near to the highway, but in a very silent neighborhood. Washing and drier machines (coined) and fitness room available for guests. Fantastic fresh baked cookies available at check-in. Complimentary continental breakfast. Clean, ample rooms with silent split air conditioners.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. We are glad you noticed our new renovations and upgrades and enjoyed our fantastic cookies. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

On a shopping trip to the US, we spent a night here. The price was good, and the hotel was close to the interstate. Our room was large and comfortable. We had an excellent sleep. The only problem was that our room was noisy. The heater/AC unit was noisy, and there was a loud fan noise in the bathroom. We were on the third floor, and I suspect the noise was the fans on the roof. This did not bother us, but some might find it a problem.

The continental breakfast was good, but nothing fancy. The biggest problem is that the room is small, and the hotel was busy, so things quickly ran out - it was always replenished, but you sometimes had to wait.

Overall I liked this hotel, and would recommend it.

Stayed: November 2013
BestInnSales, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us. We are very fortunate to be located so closely to the major highways. We take pride in our large and comfortable rooms and we are glad you noticed. As for the noise, we apologize for any inconveniences you may have endured. Our bathrooms do not have fans and the noise from that rooms' vent is being further investigated by staff.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Excellently valued accommodation with good-sized, clean rooms that had all in them that a traveler could want.
The buffet breakfast was well-stocked & with a good range of hot & cold foods & drinks.
The only problem we had was in finding the hotel because of local roadwork diversions but the local constabulary were on hand to point us in the right direction.
All the staff went that extra mile to answer all your questions with a smile.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This hotel is owned by Holiday Inn owners and is a very nice, clean, friendly place to stay. We had a welcome bag in our room with nice treats in it. We ate at the diner across the street and the food was very good. Nice and convenient place would highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My friends and I stayed here for Alumni weekend at UNH and had a great experience. The hotel was nice (a great value for what you pay) and perfectly situated for going to the game at UNH and then also very close to downtown Portsmouth. Will at the front desk definitely made our entire trip though, he was super friendly and made us feel right at home! If it wasn't for Will going above and beyond I most likely would have never written a review, kudos to him for his hospitality!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Some good and some bad with this hotel. The person at the desk checked us in early and was very friendly. The room was clean and spacious. The a few things I disliked: We had a room on the side by Route 1. It was sooo loud and I didn't sleep at all. You could hear ALL the traffic. Our room was right next to the elevator and it broke, so the stairs needed to be used and it made a loud noise everything it opened and closed. Plus we had the room by the ice machine...more noise! Get a room away from the elevator /ice machine and on the inside and you should be fine. There is only a door in front and on the side by Rte1 towards the front. The parking in front is very limited so we had to park in the back. This was a pain when we went to leave and had to walk all the way to the back w/our luggage and bags. The continental breakfast area was small and crowded. We grabbed a couple things, its a typical continental breakfast. The price was great for what we needed the room for. I would stay again I would just def get a room on the inside and away from the elevator. I thought the bed was comfy too.

Room Tip: If you get a room get one that doesn't face Route 1. The traffic noise was terrible. Also ask...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank princess1
BestInnSales, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

I am so sorry to hear the highway kept you awake. For your future stay, please feel free to put in a request for a quiet room away from the highway, elevator and ice machine and we will do our best to accommodate you. We do have complimentary parking on each and every side of our building for all guests. We also allow our guests to temporarily park out front of our entrance to load baggage into their cars with our luggage carts. We are glad we were able to check you into your room early and that you enjoyed meeting our friendly staff. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.