“Great service”

Howard Johnson Portsmouth
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed June 24, 2008

KUDOS to Don!!! He was very friendly, helpful and accomodating. He even stayed after his shift was done to personally carry a refrigerator to our room - much appreciated.
Thanks for a great visit!

Stayed: June 2008

Reviewed May 30, 2008

We've been staying at this location once a month for several years. The staff is wonderful, the rooms clean and comfortable and the location is great. This is always our first stop when we come to Portsmouth!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Hotel staff took my fiances belongings and hid them from him because he did not answer them in a "timley manner" regarding a check out date. This facility must be shut down!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank summersessionAustin
Reviewed May 24, 2008

while requesting a later wake up call i was told that rates were going up for memorial day weekend and i said that i wasn't the one to decide if new rate was ok so i said i would contact employer and if it wasn't ok that i would call came back at 830 after waork and was told that my belongings were being hid in an undisclosed location even though corporate credit card was on file since check in 1 month prior had to call police to get don hubert, mgr, to give back clothes and laptop back could not believe that such an unprofessional and cowardly action was taken without notifying myself or the local business that was paying the bill don hubert left a 19 yeard old girl to tell me the bad news

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank APALLEDATDON
Reviewed September 1, 2007

We were on vacation visiting the New Hampshire and Maine area and we did not spend much time in our room.
All the staff there was pleasant. When we arrived to check in there were fresh baked cookies for us to enjoy.
When we asked questions about the area, Mike Gallo was very happy to share his knowledge with us. He suggested places to eat and what route to drive so we got to experience the scenic view to arrive at our destinations. The evergreen rooms were adequate for our purposes. They were clean which was important to me.
The only thing I would have like to see improve was more variety at the continental breakfast and a comfortable chair or small couch to sit on to read or to enjoy a cup of coffee.
I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelformeOhio
Reviewed July 2, 2006

My wife and I had a wedding to attend in Portsmouth on July 1, 2006, and in searching for a hotel on-line, came up with America's Best Inns in Portland, NH. We stayed two nights, and were quite pleased. The hotel staff were exceptionally helpful, the room was small, but clean (I believe it had recently been remodeled), and the bed was comfortable. The complimentary continental breakfast was basic, but good - coffee was available 24/7! Location was good (NOT downtown as we thought when we made reservations). It is very convenient to I-95. All-in-all, it was a very good value for the money (probably half the price or less of other motels), and we would stay there again.

6  Thank rdurof
Reviewed April 3, 2006

I went in last winter (Jan 2005) planning to book rooms here for my wedding in June 2006. My fiance and I decided to stay here while visting my parents in March 2006. We were told that the hotel was going to be updated in spring of 2005. Obviously that did not happen. The rugs were disgusting, curtains had moth holes all in them, the walls had stains and food crusted on them, there was hair in the bathroom. The girl who checked us in late that night had ZERO personality and could hardly answer our questions and almost seemed bothered by us. The breakfast was not very good. Coffee was cold and danishes were stale. I will not be booking my wedding block here nor will I ever set foot in Anerica's "Best" Inn again.

• Stayed: March 2006