“Beware. Terrible customer service.”

Howard Johnson Portsmouth
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Sandy Hook, Connecticut
“Beware. Terrible customer service.”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

My fiancé and I stayed here for 3 nights. At first we thought the hotel was great but because of how we got screwed in the end we will NEVER stay here again.

Pros of the hotel were decent rooms, nice sheets and mattresses, very clean. Needed a bunch of minor repairs like the AC was coming off the wall, the toilet paper holder was coming off, the wifi was iffy and some wallpaper was peeling. It was right off the highway and had a good amount of parking. Could have gone next door to holiday inn to swim in pool. The breakfast was absolutely pitiful. Soaps and shampoos were junk. Towels were just fine.

Upon arriving, we were told that a new system was in place for the hotel and not working properly. It took forever to find our reservation and then actually check in. One young man was working with what appeared to be a supervisor. As he checked us in, the amount we were to pay was brought up and it was going to be less than expected, we were thrilled. The amount was pending in my account that night.
When we checked out however, a reciept was slapped on the counter that was almost $200 MORE than what we were told we were paying. Trying to figure out what was going on, we asked for a manager and the less than enthused girl behind the desk says he wasn't in and that she had no idea when he was coming back. We had to leave and she said it would be handled and we would be charged the amount we were told. She didn't have the power to change anything.

Unfortunately that's not what happened, we were charged the incorrect amount that was 200 over what we were told while the original pending amount disappeared. I tried to call the hotel multiple times to get this straightened out and I have been disregarded and just completely blown off. When asking for a manager I get the same answer that he's not there and no one knows when he's going to be in next.

I AM DISGUSTED with how this was handled. I can't believe they would just blow a customer off like they have. We saved for a long time to go on a 4 day vaca and I feel like I was stolen from.

Don't stay here. Go somewhere that won't lie to you.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank OctoberLove

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hebrew first
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Depending on your goals, this Inn works.

If you're looking for something seconds off of the highway, that's on your way somewhere, with close by restaurants and good sightseeing. Stay here.

If you like new carpet, new AC, new room amenities, etc. Miss this.

The service - at the desk was good. Could have been better on check out (the FedEx package with my name on it was not given to me - I had to ask, and then the desk clerk had a hard time finding it.

On the otherhand, the AC was awesome. You'd have to be blind to miss the hotel when getting off of the freeway (northbound). The sheets and bathroom were clean.

And if you've read others of my articles, the hot water was HOT and plentiful.

There was an iron and ironing board, as well as Internet and a mini-fridge in the room.

Breakfast wasn't so much of a breakfast. More of a bagel, coffee, self serve table.

I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the highway
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Toronto
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Mattresses small and unconfortable, polyester bedsheets, very old towels (almost breaking apart, not sure they were washed prior to our ariving). The room was clean (properly vacuumed) but everything looks very cheap. Bored receptionists. Breakfast is a joke. As far as I am concerned, next time I will pay a few extra dollars and chose a better chain.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank treveller101
nova scotia
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed in this hotel on our recent vacation. We had a coupon but they didn't honour it but gave us a reduced rate. The couple ahead of us checking in were quite angry because of poor service and complained of a long wait and that their room was not ready. The staff said it had been full the night before and no rooms were ready yet( about noon). We were a walk in so did not mind waiting to book but when we returned to check in after 3pm, it did take a long time and the following morning, the person who worked the front desk also looked after the breakfast room so food ran out a lot or people waited to check out. It was a nice hotel and rooms were clean and nice but of our whole trip this was the one with the worst service and that is not the staff''s fault. They just needed extra staff and it was a weekend so they should have prepared for it. The staff said that they had been recently bought out by the Holiday Inn accross the street and clients were free to use their services. That was quite surprising as I have stayed at a lot of Holiday Inn's in the past and always had great service.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank macjones
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Fair price! i certainly looked around for the cheapest in town and then decided to let the ratings here guide me. I walked with all my baggage from the gray hound bus station on a hot and humid day. i would not recommend this, take a taxi its ten dollars. i arrived exhausted and dripping wet. i was nevertheless welcomed by the friendly and uncomplicated staff. the room was pleasant spacious and efficient. took a shower walked back down to town (20 minutes) and back again later. walking distance to downtown is pleasant without baggage. checked out in the morning in good time and got them to call me a cab. over all: very good, efficient, professional business.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Plesiosaur
Castine, Maine
Reviewed August 2, 2011

The only reason why I didn't give this a one was due to friendly staff and good location.

Now the bad -

- Our room had a foot odor. Traced it to the ac. It was a hot day so had to deal with it.
- The beds and pillows were uncomfortable. I was itching the whole night. Checked for bites the next morning. I didn't find any so maybe too much laundry detergent?
- T.V. Didn't turn on
- Very small room for continental breakfast.
- Parking area was a tight fit
- No luggage carts

Honest review - recommend staying elsewhere

• Stayed July 2011
Fredericton,New Brunswick
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This hotel is next to I 95 with exit and convenient to all Portsmouth. The hotel is clean with friendly staff. Breakfast is included with the usual. The best is that it is very reasonably priced in an expensive market and near vacation destinations. Will be back !!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple