“As long as you are t traveling with a dog”

Anchorage Inns & Suites
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

This hotel does allow dogs but know if you have a dog you are staying on the first floor which translates to basement level meaning your window lets you see people's feet as they walk to their cars in the parking lot. For the price and distance from downtown if you have a dog you could do better.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank DAVESTEPHANIE

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We bought our hotel through priceline two nights before departure. Not many hotels were vacant on the weekend of July 5th-July6th, and Anchorage Inn was available and now I see why... We arrived in our room and the staff was very kind and friendly. However, when we got to our room we had found a few surprises... There was a stain on one of the two beds, leftover underwear in the dresser drawer, used floss in the bathroom, dust everywhere, and the list goes on. It was obvious that housekeeping didn't do their job! We told the front desk and Holden, the manager on duty, was very surprised and disgusted. He handled it very professionally and moved us to another room called the "Seacoast Sands Suite" which was very spacious and consisted of a king bed, a pull-out couch, a jaccuzzi and TV bathroom, a closet, a kitchenette, and a kitchen table. The pool was luxurious with a rock fountain jacuzzi! The free breakfast was standard but acceptable and gets very crowded after 8:00. Overall, it was just "okay". Unfortunately, we will not go back there. However, I would like to reiterate that Holden was definetely professional, friendly, kind, and flexible.

Room Tip: Bottom floor rooms are underground so request a higher floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Jackie D
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Hotel has some age, and is more like 1.5+ mile from heart of town. Room was clean and fairly quiet. Very comfortable bed and ac had option for constant fan and that helped to quiet the room. We could hear people walking above us so you may want to request 3rd floor. No one at desk to check us in, I had to telephone them after standing there for ten minutes. Desk clerk was apologetic. Breakfast area was extremely crowded from 8 am until 9 and we gave up on it. Saturdays in summer are probably just very busy. This place is fine for a stop over, but I wouldn't choose to spend multiple nights. Interesting that the exterior door to rooms was left unlocked our first day. That shouldn't happen.

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd floor if sensitive to noise, we could hear people above us.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelBeWare
Reviewed June 29, 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

We decided to add a night to our stay in Portsmouth as we had spent a week at a competing hotel chain across the street. Since they were booked and we wanted the extra night, we decided to try the Anchorage Inn and Suites who had vacancy.

Now I know why. This hotel probably saw it's heyday in the '60's. Not sure it's been renovated since then?

Creaky, flimsy floorboards throughout hotel, dingy, dusty room (we stayed on the first floor), bathroom very outdated and not the cleanest (tempted to have the kids shower wearing their flip-flops!) so small the sink is outside the bathroom. In fact, the sink us beside the door to the room and is the first thing you see upon entering the room. Bed very saggy and springy and pillows hard and uncomfortable.

Front desk staff very pleasant, to their credit.

Biggest concern was safety. No chain on door and all of the side doors leading into the hotel were unlocked and accessible to all without any type of key required. Security?!?!!!

You can do so much better for the $$$.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Penny Z
Reviewed June 24, 2014

WOW!! and in a good way. This place is a great value!! My husband and I just stayed 2 nights at this hotel. They were more than accommodating. My husband and I needed to get away for a couple of days and just relax, which we did. We weren't looking for upscale just a decent place to stay which it was. Tom at the front desk was great and even wrote down a few places for us with live entertainment. The place does has Wi-Fi but their homepage doesn't list it. No problem because you can have internet access in the lobby.

The rooms have been recently updated and were comfortable. OK the bathroom is small, but the sink is outside which is great if one wants to get ready while the other is in the shower..
We had a king smoking room. For those smoke you will appreciate that this hotel provides rooms for smokers that were probably as good for non-smokers, which is becoming a rarity.
The hotel basically has 2 separate buildings that connect so if smoke is a concern request a room in the other building.
This hotel would be great for families with kids on a budget. The rooms have a microwave and frig and some have a small kitchenette. As Tom was playing up this fact I told him I was not cooking. There is a free continental breakfast.There was a staff member constantly tending and cleaning up after people when we were there. He also did a great job because the area appeared like it just opened.

The pool isn't huge but the depths go from 3 to 6 feet. I hate getting a hotel pool that is huge but the whole thing is 3 feet.. The jacuzzi was fine. Towels were not a problem. They right at the pool. The pool also has a handicap chair for use, which is the first time I have ever seen this!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DEBLEON
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed at the Anchorage Inn and Suites Sunday evening and my stay was completely unpleasant. The first room my family & I were given had never been cleaned. Once of the beds was not made, and it had trash and tissues on it. We complained to the front desk, and we were told ""I shouldn't say this but someone will be fired for that. The lady that was supposed to do it was going in for surgery and this was her last day before that so she probably didn't care"". We were then given a second room. This room the temperature was so hot we tried to turn the a/c on but it wasn't working right. By this time it was so late in the evening we just had to deal with what we were in and went to sleep. I would definately advise someone to look into one of the other hotels that are next door and hope they have a better experience than my family & I did.

Room Tip: Make sure room is clean and air conditioner is working especially in the summer heat!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family