“Good enough for one night”

Anchorage Inns & Suites
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Hotel has some age, and is more like 1.5+ mile from heart of town. Room was clean and fairly quiet. Very comfortable bed and ac had option for constant fan and that helped to quiet the room. We could hear people walking above us so you may want to request 3rd floor. No one at desk to check us in, I had to telephone them after standing there for ten minutes. Desk clerk was apologetic. Breakfast area was extremely crowded from 8 am until 9 and we gave up on it. Saturdays in summer are probably just very busy. This place is fine for a stop over, but I wouldn't choose to spend multiple nights. Interesting that the exterior door to rooms was left unlocked our first day. That shouldn't happen.

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd floor if sensitive to noise, we could hear people above us.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelBeWare

Reviewed June 29, 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

We decided to add a night to our stay in Portsmouth as we had spent a week at a competing hotel chain across the street. Since they were booked and we wanted the extra night, we decided to try the Anchorage Inn and Suites who had vacancy.

Now I know why. This hotel probably saw it's heyday in the '60's. Not sure it's been renovated since then?

Creaky, flimsy floorboards throughout hotel, dingy, dusty room (we stayed on the first floor), bathroom very outdated and not the cleanest (tempted to have the kids shower wearing their flip-flops!) so small the sink is outside the bathroom. In fact, the sink us beside the door to the room and is the first thing you see upon entering the room. Bed very saggy and springy and pillows hard and uncomfortable.

Front desk staff very pleasant, to their credit.

Biggest concern was safety. No chain on door and all of the side doors leading into the hotel were unlocked and accessible to all without any type of key required. Security?!?!!!

You can do so much better for the $$$.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Penny Z
Reviewed June 24, 2014

WOW!! and in a good way. This place is a great value!! My husband and I just stayed 2 nights at this hotel. They were more than accommodating. My husband and I needed to get away for a couple of days and just relax, which we did. We weren't looking for upscale just a decent place to stay which it was. Tom at the front desk was great and even wrote down a few places for us with live entertainment. The place does has Wi-Fi but their homepage doesn't list it. No problem because you can have internet access in the lobby.

The rooms have been recently updated and were comfortable. OK the bathroom is small, but the sink is outside which is great if one wants to get ready while the other is in the shower..
We had a king smoking room. For those smoke you will appreciate that this hotel provides rooms for smokers that were probably as good for non-smokers, which is becoming a rarity.
The hotel basically has 2 separate buildings that connect so if smoke is a concern request a room in the other building.
This hotel would be great for families with kids on a budget. The rooms have a microwave and frig and some have a small kitchenette. As Tom was playing up this fact I told him I was not cooking. There is a free continental breakfast.There was a staff member constantly tending and cleaning up after people when we were there. He also did a great job because the area appeared like it just opened.

The pool isn't huge but the depths go from 3 to 6 feet. I hate getting a hotel pool that is huge but the whole thing is 3 feet.. The jacuzzi was fine. Towels were not a problem. They right at the pool. The pool also has a handicap chair for use, which is the first time I have ever seen this!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DEBLEON
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed at the Anchorage Inn and Suites Sunday evening and my stay was completely unpleasant. The first room my family & I were given had never been cleaned. Once of the beds was not made, and it had trash and tissues on it. We complained to the front desk, and we were told ""I shouldn't say this but someone will be fired for that. The lady that was supposed to do it was going in for surgery and this was her last day before that so she probably didn't care"". We were then given a second room. This room the temperature was so hot we tried to turn the a/c on but it wasn't working right. By this time it was so late in the evening we just had to deal with what we were in and went to sleep. I would definately advise someone to look into one of the other hotels that are next door and hope they have a better experience than my family & I did.

Room Tip: Make sure room is clean and air conditioner is working especially in the summer heat!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights over the Memorial Day weekend with a bus tour group. I had room 259. My room was very clean. I always roll a lint roller over the sheets and, quite surprisingly, the roller was clean !!! Some reviews mentioned small bathrooms, but perhaps that was on a different floor ??? My bathroom was clean, newly renovated and actually quite spacious. Added bonus was the fridge and microwave in the room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I left a robe in my room and they were able to mail it back to me and bill the postage to my credit card. The complimentary breakfast was just OK. Overall, I was quite pleased with this hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 259, and was quite happy with the cleanliness, and the renovated and spacious bathr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Trudy G
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed here for one night in May for the UNH graduation. We stayed on the first floor which is really the "basement with windows" rooms. While the room itself was just ok, a bit outdated, the bathroom seemed to have recently undergone some renovations in the sink area. The renovators puttied the finish nails on the railing and an area by the sink but the putty was left in globs, dried and unpainted. The bathroom floor hadn't been swept and there were no tissues anywhere in the room. Once we arrived back in the room around 10 pm, we found the tv didn't work. The front desk gentleman came to look at it and couldn't find the answer to the problem. He offered to move us but we declined-too late to move. He offered a discount which we accepted. The control knob in the refrig was broken off too.
When I checked out the following morning, the girl at the desk admitted our room has just been renovated. I guess housekeeping forgot to do their job...
I guess you get what you pay for on busy weekends in Portsmouth.

Room Tip: Ask not to be in the basement rooms and check the room before you agree to stay there.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family