“Worth a Revisit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
White River Junction, Vermont
“Worth a Revisit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Melody manages the Anchorage Inn in Portsmouth, NH. She is a one-person welcoming committee. It's like having your sister waiting for you at the door. The Anchorage Inn has refurbished several of its rooms, upgraded its breakfast service and kept its rates competitive. Location is convenient -- a brisk walk from downtown, a short drive to the beaches, a stone's throw from southern Maine. It's an ideal location for exploration of the New Hampshire Seacoast. All this comes to you at a fraction of the cost of a downtown Portsmouth hotel or a B&B. This is now a regular stop for us. As a bonus -- the Inn is dog-friendly!

Room Tip: Try Rm 128!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed as a family on 5 in two rooms during our summer vacation.

The check-in was speedy and very friendly. Getting all of our luggage to a room was quite hard because of steep ramps to the lifts and having to walk past the swimming pool wasn't great because it was so hot in that area. The corridors were small to manoeuvre the trolley, but once we at our room it was all fine.

The room was spacious, the bathroom was as well, and it was a very comfortable stay for one night. We were at the front of the hotel and we were disturbed by the road noise so perhaps ask for a room at the back if you wanta quieter night.

It was nice to have access to the pool, even though it was like a sauna in there, and there were lounges around the outside to sit and relax. Towels were provided so you didn't have to carry any down from the room.

Staff were very accomodating about where to eat and takeaway menus and we were recommended to the diner across the way. It was within walking distance, the food was great and we had a take-out back in our room. We made use of the coffee facilities in the hotel lobby during the evening.

Breakfast the following morning was busy, as expected but we waited patiently for a table. It was nice to have access to muffins, toast, cereal, waffles and fruit which set us up for the day.

We enjoyed this hotel and would definitely return if in the area for a simple and comfortable stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ellicottville, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I were in the area to visit her parents. We originally booked a king at one of the chain hotels across the street but realized we were going to have to bring our kids after all. The hotel where we had originally booked could not accommodate our kids so we canceled that reservation and went on the search for a hotel with a room available with 2 beds. We were surprised at how hard it was to find a room with 2 beds in portsmouth. I guess they book up every weekend, so if you're staying in portsmouth during a weekend, call in advance! Anyways, the anchorage had a non-smoking room with two beds available so we took it even though we had never heard of anchorage. We were a little nervous because we usually stay at chain hotels because of past bad experiences. But as soon as we entered the lobby we were impressed. The pool and jacuzzi are stunning and you can see them from the lobby. Our kids couldn't wait to get in them. The front desk staff was warm and welcoming and reassured us that we would be taken care of during our stay. When my in-laws came to meet us, the staff offered to set us up with a separate sitting area so we could visit together. We declined because we already had plans but we appreciated that. We expected the beds to be small but we actually slept quite comfortably on them, my wife and I on one and the kids on the other. The room was updated with comfortable, newer linen and a beautiful bathroom with a granite counter. It would been nice to have had a slightly larger room, but we were comfortable regardless. The man who cleaned our room was professional and courteous and helped us find a few things we needed during our stay. On the morning that we checked out we asked the front desk for a recommendation for a breakfast place. They were very helpful and even printed us directions. We decided to stay and take advantage of the continental breakfast instead and were pleasantly surprised to find hot waffles and hard boled eggs. The kids loved it. We really felt at home. I would love to stay here again when we come back next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Boston, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Where do I begin? If I were to rate the hotel on everything except cleanliness, I would give it 3 stars. The bed was comfy, the room spacious, plenty of parking, friendly front desk staff on checkin, friendly housekeeper, air conditioning worked well. Free wifi, free parking.

Now the ugly...towels so so thin, really, spend a couple dollars more, I could almost see through the towel. Drawers of the bureau were dusty, and had a hair on one. Long, looooooong, black hair in the bed...uck. Had to move the mattress to get at an outlet, nobody has vacuumed behind the bed or under the edge of the bed skirt for QUITE a while. Double uck.

No conditioner in bathroom, when we called down for some we were advised unless we wanted to wait "quite a while", we should come down and get it ourselves.

Didn't really look in the shower when we arrived, the toilet and sink looked clean, and I was tired. When I went to shower this morning, looked like the tub/shower surface was scratched and had some burn spots...well, we were in a smoking room, so whatever, older unit, no big deal. Well, once in the shower and a bit more awake, the spots looked a bit more, how can I say it, 3D? So when I finished, I swiped at one, and it was a dried on chunk of something. NASTY!

Managed to dress and get out of the room without puking, mostly because I'd overslept and missed the 6am to 9am breakfast (who eats that damn early on a Saturday?!?). Asked the front desk woman could the maid please CHANGE the sheets because of the hair, and bleach the tub because of the chunks. No apology, nothing, just "ok, I think we can do that."

Back in the room after breakfast elsewhere, no smell of bleach so that apparently did not get done, but the shower definitely looks cleaner. New sheets, check. But, trash and ashtrays not emptied, no soap left for us, no shampoo or conditioner, and sink area was not cleaned.

Here for another night, not expecting any redemption at this point. Tomorrow I'll be showering with my socks on.

Will never stay here again. Highly recommend you avoid it. I would expect this level of ICK from a $60 per night fleabag hotel, not a hotel that won a AAA plaque and costs $140/night.

Day 2, towels are a bit better in that they were thicker, but they were tiny, they are not big enough to wrap around an average human. House keeping ignored the do not disturb sign and knocked on the door at 9:30am even though checkout was not until 11. I can't leave fast enough.

I went to the front desk to check out; the same woman was there that I had complained to the day before. She asked if my issues were resolved, and I said no and proceeded to list them. She said "I don't understand why that wasn't taken care of" and then gave me $20 off per night.

Still not worth the money. Wish we had left after one night and stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FairButPicky

Travelers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I've stayed at most of the hotels in Portsmouth and this is by far the best value. Every staff member I came in contact with was super helpful and professional. The room was sparkling clean. My fiance loved the pool and jacuzzi (both were inside). One of the women from the front desk made me a waffle! We are planning to stay in one of the themed suites for our wedding. I'll be coming back each time I'm in Portsmouth.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wallingford, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here a couple times when visiting Portsmouth. It is not located within walking distance of downtown but it is alot more reasonable. The rooms On the third floor have been renovated so ask for one of them. Breakfast included. Not too fancy but sufficient. Only problem we had was that we got back one night at 830 pm and housekeeping had never cleaned my sisters room. Not sure what happened. Front desk gave her clean towels but didn't offer to send someone up to clean it. We had never had this problem in the past however

• Stayed September 2012
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is pet friendly which was nice because we could bring our dog, but there is a pet fee of $20. The rooms nothing fancy bit nothing bad. There is a breakfast in the morning. It is about a five minute drive downtown to Portsmouth.

• Stayed September 2012