“A great place to relax and people watch in historic Portsmouth”

Popovers On The Square
Ranked #1 of 9 Dessert in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Popovers was recommended to my wife and me more than once as we asked for recommendations on what to do in Portsmouth. After walking the Harbor Trail, it made for the ideal spot to put our feet up a bit, recharge w/ some java, and watch the townsfolk and other tourists meander by on Congress St (the main thoroughfare through historic Portsmouth). The service was very friendly and prices comparable to any coffee shop, and the appeal of a privately owned local business vs a mega-monopoly was undeniable. Definitely recommended.

Reviewed June 28, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed popovers. We wanted a light meal and we had their hummus platter and both had delicious bowls of soup. The popovers came with it and were very good. You order at the counter and then they bring the food to you. I generally like these local places because they have more character and they are not stuffy. Plus we didn't feel like getting dressed up and going out for a big meal. It is right in the heart of Portsmouth which is really cute.

1  Thank Sally B
Reviewed April 26, 2009

i have gone here for desert and coffee.they some pretty good deserts,but they are pricey.thie place caters towards the tourist,because of the high prices.they do keep the place clean,but there is no service,you go up to the counter to order and pickup your meals.

Reviewed April 19, 2009

My husband and I tried breakfast here on a recent two night stay in the Portsmouth area. I was intriqued by the name and I love popovers! Not that I get to have them very often. Could it be the name implies Popovers are on the menu? Sure thing and they are delicious--big, a bit sweet served with honey butter! Each costs 2.25. We had that with monstrous cups of coffee (free refills and self serve) and for my hungry man I ordered him a Monte Cristo served with maple syrup in panini form. He loved it. I think that was 7.85.
Very nice interior, lots of newspapers to enjoy with your coffee and the case with all their delectable baked goodies will make your jaw drop! It is in the center of action in Portsmouth--and would be a great choice for a quick lunch and shopping at all the cute shops that abound in that area. Feel like a a popover and haven't had one for awhile?--Don't miss Popovers!

2  Thank Helsbabe
Reviewed April 5, 2009

Great bakery items, but a bit high in price. They are right in Market Square, so they tend to be more tourist oriented. I believe Ceres Street bakery (on Penhallow St) has better offerings at a lower price just a few block away.

1  Thank Doug P