“Great beer, good food”

Cataqua Public House at Red Hook
Ranked #100 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This summer was my second trip to the Cataqua House at Red Hook. But let's be honest, I really went here for the beer.

The beer sampler has great variety and is well priced. There is ample indoor and outdoor seating, but the outdoor seating could use more shade...my girlfriend and I simply melted under the afternoon sun out there.

Food choices are varied, but I found it all to be fairly typical and lacking anything that would leap out at me, selection or flavor wise. But any chance to get great beer with reasonable prices works for me.

Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Was wowed by the Bayou sweet potato app - HEAVENLY, then chowder and caesar were great, hubby says burger was great/flavorful. Service was very good and cool digs too, plus the tour - loved it!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We walked from the Residence Inn to the Cataqua for dinner and it was great! We had three children with us – aged 13, 10, and 7 – who also had a very enjoyable meal. I had a Blackhook beer – if you like dark beers, this is great – and my husband had the sampler which is a very good deal at $7 for 6 mini-beers. The sweet potato fries were a huge hit, very crispy. The soup & salad combos are another bargain, for $7.50 it was a full plate of salad with quality greens, as well as the choice of chili, chowder or soup of the day. I was a bit less impressed with the burger which was fine but similar as you can get anywhere. My son had the chicken sandwich which was a generous portion and nicely cooked. The menu isn’t huge but there are choices to please everyone – including vegetarians and the organically minded. Service wasn’t super fast but was pleasant. The ambiance is relaxed, it’s a bright modern room with a high ceiling. We would be happy to return, especially since we didn’t catch the brewery tour this visit.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Stopped by on a Saturday in April for lunch and the brewery tour. Food, service, and atmosphere were all good. Always a good idea to have food before the brewery tour. The tour was fun and the guide was knowledgeable and entertaining.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

We had a rehearsal BBQ here and when the forecast changed from summer to fall overnight they were so helpful in making the best of it for us. We had cocktails outside in the beer garden and then moved upstairs to the event space overlooking the brew tanks for a delicious dinner of pulled pork, bbq chicken and tons of sides. It was a great night!