“Not the same as it was...”

Breaking New Grounds
Ranked #1 of 10 Coffee & Tea in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Cafe
South Berwick, Maine
“Not the same as it was...”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I miss the BNG of old. Now there are more desserts (though not as good as some downtown), gelato, etc., the atmosphere just isn't the same. I hadn't liked their hot coffee in a while, but the iced coconut is delicious- I love a "brewed" flavored coffee. I hardly ever stay to eat "in"- it just doesn't appeal to sit and hang out.

• Visited October 2013

Queensbury, New York
“Great coffee spot while in town on business”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was happy to locate this coffee shop as I as in town for business staying at the Marriott. As usual, the coffee at the hotel was terrible, so I would walk to this coffee shop each morning (maybe a 5 minute walk). It is what you would expect from a mom and pop type place. Great coffee, good pastries (which unfortunately - many are brought in as I asked if the items I chose where made in house) - but, still not bad with their coffee. Nice place to sit and relax for a few minutes, or they have a nice area to sit outside (nice sidewalk area). I saw there was a Starbucks more or less across the street, but I would advise to come here. Everyone seemed friendly within the shop. I will be back anytime I'm in Portsmouth.

• Visited September 2013
New England
“Always the best coffee in the area”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I never know why anyone goes to the Starbucks in downtown Portsmouth when Breaking New Grounds is right there on Market Square! Coffee in all its forms is always great there. I haven't tried the sweets, but they all look good and many are downright decadent. No visit to Portsmouth is complete without a stop at BNG.

Visited June 2013
Portland, Maine
“for the Caffeine Craving and Sweet Tooth”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We always stop in when we are in Portsmouth and once again this place did not disappoint. A friendly, professional and knowledgeable staff with a bit of an edge at times. Wonderfully brewed tasty coffees and excellent pastries and breads. We split a coffee cake muffin and a croissant…both yums!! Do go here for a caffeine and linger a bit inside or outdoors!!

• Visited August 2013
“Staff says it all”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I work in Portsmouth usually once or twice a week (coming from Portland) and I am so bummed that this coffee shop sucks! For some reason, (I don't remember the Portland location being this way) every time I've gone in I have gotten total attitude from the baristas. So by the time I actually get my coffee ( which is nothing special might I add) I am too uncomfortable to stay any longer. When people ask me where to get coffee I tell them not to go here. Because if I get sass for a black iced coffee, then who knows what'll happen when someone orders a fruitcake late

• Visited May 2013