“Highly recommended!”
Review of Rudi's Portsmouth

Rudi's Portsmouth
Reserve with OpenTable
Rudi's Portsmouth is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Congress Street
Boston, Massachusetts
“Highly recommended!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Been going to this excellent restaurant for almost 2 years now and in all of that time the service and food have only ever been of the highest quality. The place has a nice relaxed feel to it and no matter who our server is (we have had quite a few) they are professional, efficient and courteous. The food is also consistently good, never had even a mediocre dish. We mainly go there for lunch but have also been for dinner and brunch. Highly recommended!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank 1957_Travel

North Reading, Massachusetts
“Great ambiance an excellent food”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

First time dining in Portsmouth and tried Rudi's, based on recommendations and a menu which looked to offer excellent (though not excessive) variety. Started with the cheese plate, which was the big highlight. Three quality cheeses were provided along with some excellent fruit selections (loved the dried figs) and perfectly toasted crostini. My wife's tenderloin was generously sized and well-prepared. My artic char had great flavor and crispy skin. The sides for the meal were excellent and varied. We had crisp haricot and silky mashed potatoes with the steak and brussel sprouts and braised fennel with the char. Piano and trumpet played unobtrusively all evening. So what to criticize? I would have liked the brussel sprouts more grilled and the fennel was light on anise flavor. My espresso could have been smaller and more flavorful, though my wife loved her cappuccino. We weren't offered bread, which I would have refused anyway. On the whole, the criticisms did little to dampen our enthusiasm. So many more things I saw carried by and wanted to try. Not perfect, but so close I had to give five stars.

• Visited July 2013
New Hampshire
“First visit; mixed feelings but will return”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Dinner was very good, with one exception. The calamari appetizer was excellent, served with a Thai chili glaze and lime. No heavy tomato sauce in sight. Salmon burger also very good. Can't say much positive about the beet salad however; it was lackluster and uninspiring. We had a good bottle of pinot grigio - great flavor at a good price. Service very attentive altho a little uneven (had to wait a long time for our appetizers; ended up being concerned that we would be late for a concert, even though we had allowed plenty of time for a leisurely dinner - 5:15 reservation, 7:30 concert nearby). Afterthought: I'm not sure why restaurants want to offer the least desirable table in the dining room (e.g. that table that's right near the swinging kitchen door.) If you don't speak up, they get away with it. It's annoying because it gets things off to a bad start; makes you feel like an uncooperative customer. Just telling it like it was - mixed, but we will definitely go back.

Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Good food, good music.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Four of us greatly enjoyed the Sunday Jazz Brunch at Rudi's. The atmosphere was laid back, the jazz duo (bass and guitar) were superb, and the food was well prepared and nicely served.
Highly recommended considering the number of fine eateries in Portsmouth.

1 Thank jverdun
Newbury, Massachusetts
“Recommended ... but only for music and cocktails”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The piano bar is the best thing about Rudi's. Duke was there with his bassist - what a terrific duo. We'd heard good things about Rudi's from friends, and chose it for our anniversary dinner based on that and the live music. But ... the service, which makes the difference between a fine dining experience and a so-so one, was a disappointment. Just for starters, we walked in out of a raging storm but I had to ask the hostess, um, is there was somewhere to put my raincoat? We had arrived a half hour before our reservation for a drink at the bar, but there were no seats available. With the bar tables set for dinner, we were unsure whether we should sit down. The hostess was oblivious, and we waited 5 or 10 minutes until finally a waiter came by and welcomed us to have a drink there. He was professional and accommodating, and the cocktails were excellent. All was forgiven until we were seated in the dining room, ready to order our meals. Here's how that went. Guest: would you recommend the quail or the duck? Server: we don't have the quail tonight, so you won't have to choose. Guest: but do you recommend the duck? Server: well, it's unusual. Guest: why unusual? Server: because you won't find duck on many menus. Husband (sotto voce): where does she eat, McDonald's? In any event, I asked for the beet salad, which was served too cold with too much spinach and not enough goat cheese (or beets) and yes, the duck, which was actually quite good. He had the scallops and mac & cheese, which he reported as pedestrian. I did not trust the waitress for a wine recommendation but chose the J. Lohr pinot noir, which was excellent, and I suppose the $40 price tag was what I expected to pay. But my point here is that when you have expectations for an enjoyable night out, and the prices match the expectations but the service and food don't ... you won't go back.