“Recommended ... but only for music and cocktails”
Review of Rudi's Portsmouth

Rudi's Portsmouth
Reserve with OpenTable
Rudi's Portsmouth is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 207 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Congress Street
Description: Ease your way in to a bright and brassy Sunday afternoon or moody weeknight when Rudi's charismatic atmosphere boasts an eclectic mix of downtown charm and uptown polish. Sample the freshest of local farms and Seaport bounties featuring a wide array of traditional dishes with signature twists.
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The piano bar is the best thing about Rudi's. Duke was there with his bassist - what a terrific duo. We'd heard good things about Rudi's from friends, and chose it for our anniversary dinner based on that and the live music. But ... the service, which makes the difference between a fine dining experience and a so-so one, was a disappointment. Just for starters, we walked in out of a raging storm but I had to ask the hostess, um, is there was somewhere to put my raincoat? We had arrived a half hour before our reservation for a drink at the bar, but there were no seats available. With the bar tables set for dinner, we were unsure whether we should sit down. The hostess was oblivious, and we waited 5 or 10 minutes until finally a waiter came by and welcomed us to have a drink there. He was professional and accommodating, and the cocktails were excellent. All was forgiven until we were seated in the dining room, ready to order our meals. Here's how that went. Guest: would you recommend the quail or the duck? Server: we don't have the quail tonight, so you won't have to choose. Guest: but do you recommend the duck? Server: well, it's unusual. Guest: why unusual? Server: because you won't find duck on many menus. Husband (sotto voce): where does she eat, McDonald's? In any event, I asked for the beet salad, which was served too cold with too much spinach and not enough goat cheese (or beets) and yes, the duck, which was actually quite good. He had the scallops and mac & cheese, which he reported as pedestrian. I did not trust the waitress for a wine recommendation but chose the J. Lohr pinot noir, which was excellent, and I suppose the $40 price tag was what I expected to pay. But my point here is that when you have expectations for an enjoyable night out, and the prices match the expectations but the service and food don't ... you won't go back.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The atmosphere is lovely with one or two live musicians playing jazz or blues. The food is impeccable, everything from the mushroom risotto to a mouth-watering top notch hamburger. Our female server seemed to try a little too hard (almost fake), but that's okay. We're they're for the ambiance, music and consistently delicious cuisine. By the way, they have their own free parking which is extremely helpful with Portsmouth's parking challenges.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Staying in Boston and met a friend from Portland area. Ambiance was quiet, pace was unhurried due to astute and patient waitress. Lobster roll on a croissant was sinful, well balanced with a light side salad. Entire experience was so great that the second week of my Boston visit I scheduled a repeat and couldn't wait - this time pairing my lunch with a great rose. And my guest the second time had the tuna appetizer and I think scallop main dish - and was pleased. This little place is terrific. The only thing I wish I had known first visit: the restaurant has its own parking lot adjacent to the restaurant. Don't need the city garage or street parking.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stopped in for an early lunch and loved it. The wine list was first rate and the wait staff terrific. Our waitress even gave us suggestions about renting or buying property in the area which turned out to be spot on when we talked with realtors.

Try the scallops--excellent.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had the opportunity to be up in Portsmouth NH about a month ago.

Hadnt planned to go for brunch but was talked into it...

Didnt have a reservation so we sat at the bar...

Ken -the bartender was super and made the whole experience even better

Jazz with Brunch was great

Food was delicous- everyone in our party had something different and we all tried each others

Each one was excellent

So if you are in the Portsmoouth area and want a great Brunch

Go To Rudi's