“Overpriced, but delicious”

Black Trumpet Bistro
Ranked #33 of 227 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed February 4, 2019 via mobile

I sat at the bar, as I was there alone. The bar is upstairs which is much more lively then the first floor. “Bistro” really is the right word, as the restaurant is small, floor to ceiling natural wood, cozy lights and what once was a fireplace. The service at the bar was good, and my glass of wine was both refreshing and reasonably priced. I ordered one item off the small menu, one off the medium and it was the perfect amount of food for one person. The scallops and celery croquettes were both delicious and satisfying, but in my opinion were over priced. For those two items, plus my wine, and tip was $50. It was definitely worth stopping by, but a little pricey for what I got. Regardless, would recommend for a night away.

Date of visit: February 2019

Reviewed January 14, 2019

Black Trumpet Bistro is a bit of a hidden gem. It is located on a small side street in Portsmouth, but we luckily had a reliable recommendation to check it out. And, we were glad we did. It is a cozy restaurant set up on two floors. Brick interior and fireplace added to the ambiance. Service was good and although the menu is limited, there is something for everyone. We had a fish dish and a pasta dish and both were very good. Very "homey". Price was right for a special prix-fixe; although there were absolutely NO substitutions. We do not eat meat and the appetizer was a meatball--no accommodations made at all. That was a bit off-putting, but the price was still right for their special. Apparently, bread and all desserts are baked in-house and the food (and some of the beers) are locally sourced. Nice touch

Date of visit: January 2019
1  Thank aliceann1
Reviewed December 19, 2018 via mobile

Tucked into an old brick building next to another popular restaurant, this place is small and special. Copper tables, which added to ambiance.

The service was good, not great. Friendly, but not particularly accommodating. Was not overly excited about my entree. I found the pork tough. My husband loved the pot roast. The butterscotch tapioca was very good. The food was very good. I would try it again, but not my favorite in town.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed December 11, 2018 via mobile

We have had many really nice meals here in the past. Not last week! The food and service were really off. It was almost as though the chef left the kitchen and restaurant to a be run by an amateur.
The Octopus appetizer was ok but only had one small tentacle. The pasta dish was flavorless and the wait between the two was unreasonably long. Take this restaurant off your list until the chef returns!

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed November 15, 2018

A very nice and inviting little restaurant with local sourced, seasonal varied menu. Nicely prepared dishes and a cozy vibe and good service. You can also just enjoy the upstairs nook bar that makes wonderful libations and has good wines and ales. The tender is amiable and fun. stop in, you'll enjoy it!

Date of visit: November 2018