“Unique Menu”

Black Trumpet Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Trumpet Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unique Menu”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Place is not cheap and do not expect a burger and fries or fish n chips here. Staff is excellent and food is amazing we have been here about a half a dozen times with no problem. Expansive wine list great mixed drinks. Terrible beer selection other than that great views from the second floor. Service is on par with any upscale place in Boston. One of Portsmouth's Gems.

• Visited December 2012

Plymouth
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Went in with high expectations... They were surpassed!”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Let me start this by saying I came to the Black Trumpet with very high expectations. The restaurant had been recommended to me by one of the best chefs in NH, he said the food was top of the line. He was correct my Tri-Tip steak was cooked to perfection and the olive/garlic/olive oil app was excellent. The other person I was eating with got their burger and said it was the best they had every had. I had expected this because of the recommendation, but what I wasnt prepared for was the excellent wine list and incredible service! Arguably my favorite restaurant of all time!

• Visited June 2012
“Incredible evening!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The food here was incredible - creative and adventurous and the ingredients shine. We enjoyed every perfect bite - there were no missteps - that's not easy to do especially on a busy Saturday night. I'm always leery about trying a new restaurant on the weekend because of that factor but the Black Trumpet didn't disappoint. We were upstairs - it is tiny with the bar on one side and small tables set up by the windows. Brick walls, candlelight, copper topped tables - very cosy on a winter's night and I'm sure in the summer the views out the window would be lovely. It's a busy, tight area but we preferred this setting to a formal, stuffy restaurant. The waitstaff is friendly and very knowledgable. All in all a great night!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank 22return
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Anniversary Celebration”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our summer holiday to New England included our anniversary; in the very well stocked restaurant town of Portsmouth we found a gem here - lovely food, good service and nice ambiance.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank DavidL68
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Beautiful Atmosphere”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Big glasses of amazing wine! Paired with the most delicious duck I've tasted and I was hooked. I tried Black Trumpet during Restaurant Week so it was a better deal, but definitely take the chance (and the extra dollars) and splurge a little! Good food is worth the money in my mind. Great relaxed and romantic atmosphere.

• Visited March 2012