“The gem of Portsmouth”

Black Trumpet Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Trumpet Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 207 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed September 6, 2012

A single night's stay limited our search to the few major restaurants surrounding the port in the Portsmouth downtown area. A tour of the area cautioned us that these could likely be very good, but traditional feasts of seafood. We were looking, as always, for that cut above in cuisine, quality, and presentation. Black Trumpet was packed full on a Monday night, the menu promising, and the attraction of a sommelier's touch evident -- resident in the wine club on the second floor of the establishment, also serving the full menu.

Marvelous! The seafood perfectly prepared in sauces imaginative and unexpected -- perfectly matched to the essence and spirit of the dish. Great matchings of wine to dish. Service both personal and gracious. Without exception, THE recommended place for a fine meal in Portsmouth.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Good food, wine, service are important - and dinner at the Black Trumpet has all this. But, this is a place where we can just relax and enjoy all the goodness. Just go; you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I had been waiting for the right time and occasion to try the Black Trumpet. I knew it was an expensive place and not something you go to everyday so we waited until we were celebrating the 10th anniversary of our company. We were both very excited and after reading the reviews perhaps we got our expectations too high.

The meal started with bread and seasoned butter, both of which lacked flavor and desperately needed salt. That was a clue for what we were in for. For our small plates I tried the Fried Almonds which were good and my husband tried the chef's meze plate which on this evening consisted of three small fish offerings. The Tuna and scallop were done very nicely and seasoned beautifully but the shrimp were mushy and overcooked and the sauce was boring. For a medium plate we split the mussels -the sauce/broth with the mussels was wonderful but the bacon over powered and the mussels themselves were very, very gritty. Gritty mussels are always a disappointment especially when you are at an expensive restaurant. For our main courses I tried the ratatouille and my husband and the halibut. The halibut was again cooked acceptably with sauce that was well seasoned but after awhile overpowered the palate. Since it was the height of summer and most of the vegetables in the ratatouille were in season I was expecting a fresh vibrant dish. What I got was a dish so overcooked the vegetables were mushy and had really no flavor of their own. They were so overcooked I could hardly eat the dish with a fork and almost requested a spoon.

To be honest the only reason the review is getting three stars instead of two is due to the dessert course. The dessert was surprisingly good and inventive. My husband had the Sweet Tomato Pie (yes tomato) and I had the avocado and lime tartlett. Both were great and showed wonderful use of ingredients in a way I would have never expected. So because of the fine work by the pastry chef I am giving the restaurant an overall rating of 3 stars.

I do not believe I would return to this restaurant its just too expensive for the quality of food.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Some of the reviews were a concern but we tried it anyway and found the food quite good. Service was also very good. It isn't a place to admire the harbor, but it is close to the harbor. It has a bistro feel, sort of dark and most tables away from the door.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Lovely spot. nice mix of surf and turf. we had the chowder, the paella, mussels. all very good.
also genuinely accomodating of a child. before or after you should visit the ice cream parlour a couple of doors down...