“Romantic New England Bistro!”

Black Trumpet Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Trumpet Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
“Romantic New England Bistro!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This place absolutely blew me and my date away!!! Amazing atmosphere, intriguing menu, Great wine, Spectacular service, and a awesome location! This place had me and my lover in a daze! Perfect date perfect food and a very tasteful and respectable menu that had me in tears of excitement. Great for romance,business,casual or even family! But for my exspirance it's was all romance. Pricey but you get what you pay for absolute perfection. This place has "it" I strongly recommend it to any foodie or passer by.

Boston
“Really like this place”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stopped in on a Sun. since we'd had such a nice meal there a few years ago. Sat at the bar for a couple beverages and appetizers including great crab beignets with a dip of crab pieces, these were excellent. Also split a rabbit cannelloni which my friend enjoyed more than I did, a tad dry but tasty. Nice bartender and folks sitting by us, plus the restaurant itself just has a feeling of history that I really like.

Visited July 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Small dark bistro with excellent food”
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful inventive menu very well done. Small by-the-glass wine list, but extensive selection of bottles. Knowledgeable wait staff, very attentive. Water glasses were refilled quickly. Chef's small plates were excellent, and the desserts were delicious. We're I ever to be in Portsmouth again, I would definitely return to ths restaurant.

Los Angeles, CA
“One of the finest meals we've ever had”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We dined at Black Trumpet Bistro on the first night of our week long New England adventure and it was one of the most memorable meals of the trip. We had looked at another restaurant in Portsmouth (The Green Monkey) which had a Sweet Pea Ravioli that looked awfully tempting...but as luck would have it, Green Monkey was closed on the Monday evening we arrived in town...lucky really as we ate at Green Monkey the next night and it was a little disappointing.

Black Trumpet Bistro can best be described as a “special” dining experience. Every thought and detail goes into the preparation and presentation of their dishes including a commitment to purchase locally sourced ingredients. It’s located right on the waterfront in Portsmouth on the Piscataqua river.

There were plenty of vegetarian options...we started with the “Fried Almonds” (with Olives and Garlic) from the “Little Dishes” menu. We were definitely on board with this...My wife, who generally doesn’t like olives ever, liked the olives in this dish...so that accomplishment speaks volumes already.

We both had a bowl of the Chilled Cherry Soup with figs (with crème fraiche). It’s probably worth traveling to Portsmouth, New Hampshire just to try this soup. Chilled soups are not necessarily are first choice ever but on this hot summer evening this soup was absolutely perfect...just sweet enough, just tart enough. Perfect.

We also had the Baked Polenta Stuffed Mission Fig - The fig stuffed with the polenta also with sauteed wild mushrooms, asparagus tips and a “drizzle”...again, over the top tapas winner here.

For our main - and frankly we didn’t really need a main at this point but when were we going to be back in Portsmouth at this place which was hitting homeruns with everything they put on our table? - we had the Shakshuka - a middle-eastern dish with fried duck egg, spinach, and herbed semolina quenelles. I’m typically not a fan of Shakshuka, but like my wife with Olives - they won me over with this very modern take on the dish.

We finished the evening with the Buttermilk Cheesecake - basically two cheesecake balls rolled in housemade graham crackers with a salted cherry caramel sauce. Salt and caramel are 2 ingredients that are soul-mates...I’m fairly sure, on my death bed, when they ask me what I want for my final meal, it will involve salt and caramel. (probably chocolate too.) The cheesecake was great.

We were stuffed at this point and had nothing else but really wanted to try the cheese plate...check their menu online for current selections...all locally sourced...we’re dreaming of the cheese we could have eaten.

We had a number of detailed conversations with our server about the food, the vegetarian options, and all of the thought that went into finding the best local ingredients for their dishes. They even served locally brewed organic beer.

The Black Trumpet Bistro will always be remembered by us as one of the best meals we’ve had and we heartily recommend it as the number one dining choice if you happen to be in Portsmouth.

For more reviews from a vegetarian perspective, visit Rick and Addie's Vegetarian Food Blog at http://PoetrySuperHighway.com/vfb

• Visited July 2012
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Great meal!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We had an excellent dinner here. The wait staff were excellent and answered all of our questions. This is one of destinations when we have something special to celebrate. It's pricey but worth every penny!