“Awesome!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ristorante Massimo

Ristorante Massimo
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristorante Massimo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 199 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: State Street
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Went just last night. Was told there would be a 45minute wait which was fine. Went upstairs to the bar and was served by an amazing bartender. Exactly 45 minutes later our table was ready. The food was beyond wonderful. The service was impeccable and we felt that the price was worth it. Massimo was walking around all night talking with customers. Very friendly atmosphere! We will be back and highly recommend this restaurant but don't expect a quick dinner. This is a true dining experience!

• Visited November 2013

Portland, Maine
“Great Italian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Lovely atmosphere, very romantic. Food was very,very good. Pasta recommended, husband had an over cooked filet but still has great flavor. Service needed improvement though- at first it was great but once the place got busy we got stranded and waited forever to have our plates cleared and ask us for dessert. When waiter finally came we told him we were unhappy that we had to wait so long and he somewhat apologized but didn't sound very sincere. We finally left without dessert and found it elsewhere.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Wrong side of the table”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Let me start with my mother and sister who happen to be sitting opposite had a wonderful meal of halibut and gnocchi. If you were on my side you started with wilted lettuce in the insalata mista. I then ordered the filet with Gorgonzola. I asked for medium rare, closer to rare. What came was a well done filet. It was over done and toughened the meat to a point that made it unpalatable. I moved my plate to the edge of the table. It sat there for over 20 minutes. I waived down a waiter as ours had disappeared. He acknowledged my issue and walked away still leaving the plate of uneaten food. 10 minutes later we are asked if anyone would like desert. I had the grappa and a decaf cappuccino that was tepid and very close to a watered down Tim Hortons coffee. I will give credit to the gentleman that was running the front of the house who offered to get me something else. After waiting close to 40 minutes you can understand why I declined the offer. If you go make sure you are on the right side of the table.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Glenna W
Salem, NH
“Luke warm food but would give it another shot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I visited Portsmouth for a weekend getaway and walked past this restaurant on our way to another for dinner. A couple of women walking past told us this is the place to eat so we changed our plans and headed inside. I had my heart set on the Capesante Con Risotto which was displayed on the menu in the window but when I tried to order that dish it wasn't on the menu this night. I really had my heart set on risotto so the waiter suggested the lobster risotto which I ended up ordering. The bread was tasty but the oil they served to dip with was a plain oil with no herbs or flavor. The ambiance is nice but with no view as it is inside a basement I felt closed up. I prefer a view especially when in a new area so historic. The bar upstairs has a view and in the long run I think we would have been better off up there. When our meals arrived I immediately noticed my dish was cool to the touch, on the first fork full of risotto I realized it wasn't just my plate that was cool but also my food, which meant my $36 dish of lobster risotto was sitting on a counter in the kitchen as my husband's rib eye was being cooked to perfection! Don't they have heat lamps here? I called our waiter over and asked for it to be heated, I work in the food industry and have been trained on food temperatures and handling procedures. I waited about 10 minutes and with my husband 3/4 done his meal my meal arrived for the second time. Not steaming hot but much better than the first try. I ate the lobster pieces and some of the risotto but by this time was a little turned off from this meal. I realize it isn't always easy to time plates coming out of a busy kitchen but the dinning room was almost empty except for 3 tables of couples and 1 table with 4 people. It was early about 6pm so I'm not sure what the problem was. Our waiter was great and apologized for the cool dish and when the bill came they had taken my meal off the bill! In the long run I would come back here but probably visit the bar area upstairs. My husband loved his steak and I had a bite while I was waiting for my meal and it was delicious.

• Visited October 2013
Hampton Falls, New Hampshire
“The Best Restaurant in Portsmouh, New Hampshire”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This is an elegant restaurant that serves continental Italian food. The ambiance at the restaurant is formal and is appropriate for a romantic dining, dining with friends or business associates. Massimo has an excellent wine list with offerings in several price ranges. My wife, my friends and I have eaten at Ristorante Massimo on several occasions and WE HAVE NEVER BEEN DISAPPPOINTED with the EXCELLENT FOOD , SERVICE AND ATTENTON TO DETAIL.

Buon Pranzo